Night IMC

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
In my never-ending quest to get this instrument ticket REALLY wet... I went up to CWA last night. It's been super-mucky all week with a very slow-moving low hovering to the south and southeast pulling moisture from Lake Michigan. It finally cleared up this evening after being MVFR/IFR since last Thursday!

Forecast had clouds layered to 12,000 with ice from freezing level of 6-8000 on up. PIREPs all showed negative ice, however, so I filed for 6,000 and decided to keep an eye on the situation. MEA's well below the freezing level, and even 4,000 should work fine as an out. In the unlikely event that I encountered freezing rain, I'd have a decent chance to climb since I was in the 182 by myself.

I programmed the 430 and departed runway 32. Runway heading, and into the muck at 1500. As usual, Departure gave me a vector to join the airway and a climb to 6000.

Now, I've done some night IMC, but it's been with my CFII and hasn't been a 100% IMC flight for the most part, so I'm used to having the hood on. It's kind of freaky to see clouds coming at you in the landing light beam, but kinda cool too. I didn't find it disorienting at all, and I elected to leave the taxi light on for a large portion of the flight to make it easier to check for ice on the strut and windscreen. I also used my flashlight for that purpose quite a bit, and I was thankful for the autopilot to help keep me pointed in the right direction while inspecting the surfaces thoroughly.

What do you folks use to check for ice at night?

Anyway, I didn't encounter any ice on this trip. There was a little precip but I mean a little little! CWA ATIS said they were using the ILS 35 but the approach lights were OTS. :dunno: Weather there wasn't too bad, so I wasn't too worried about it but I did check the Inoperative Components Table. Hmm, add 1/4 mi vis. No problem. I began to brief the approach.

After being handed to Minneapolis Center, they asked if I could do the DME arc to the ILS 8. :dunno: I told them that I could not do the DME arc (IFR GPS, no actual DME - Thanks Ron et al here!) but that I could go direct DANCI, or fly the ILS 35 that I'd been briefing. I got the ILS 35. :) Probably worked better for them anyway, as the RJ's and meSAABa (haha) flights were using the ILS 8 and a little flivver like me probably would have gotten in the way.

Just after crossing the FAF, I broke out into some pretty good vis and spotted the airport immediately. (It's not too hard when you're already perfectly lined up on final - Gotta love an ILS!)

For the trip back, something unusual happened. I was prepared! :rofl: j/k! I had called Green Bay Radio and they said I could contact Minne Center on the ground (Hm... OK) so I did. I was ready to go, just needed the clearance and such. Since ZMP was already dialed in on one of the coms in preparation for departure, Tower (well, CTAF this late) as well, and everything else was set up, all I had left to do was dial in the squawk. I called up for my clearance, and got:

"Skylane 271G, can you make a two-minute void time?"

I kind of balked at first... I'm not quite used to such a short time, but there was a plane on the way in so it was that or wait a while. Then I realized that I really was prepared and that it doesn't take two minutes to dial in a squawk, so I said OK.

"Skylane 271G, cleared tomadisonasfiledclimbfivemetwentyfoursixfivetwentysix void in two minutes." :hairraise:

"Uhh, can you repeat that just a hair slower for 271G?" It was actually the first time I'd not understood a quick-talking controller. He repeated the clearance, just barely slow enough to hear and with a void time of "one minute, thirty seconds." I read it back, dialed in the squawk, did my three mental pre-takeoff checklists as I rolled onto the runway, and poured it on. And believe it or not, I really didn't feel rushed, and I didn't forget a thing. Things are becoming more automatic now. :yes:

I was monitoring both frequencies and heard the inbound RJ just a few miles from DANCI as I climbed out. Center nervously (or was it suspiciously?) called "271Golf, did you make your void time?" "Center, 271G, off CWA at 13 past the hour, climbing through three thousand." I hit IMC a moment later.

Then, this flight got really cool. I caught a glimpse of a big, yellow full moon shining through a crack in the clouds as I neared 5,000 feet. I stayed at 5,000 for the time being and got established in cruise. When Minne Center handed me back to Chicago I checked in with "Chicago Center, Skylane 271G level 5000, request 7." I was assigned 7,000 and broke out on top of the layer I was in at about 6500. There was a chunk of a higher layer that blocked out the direct moonlight but there was enough of a glow to softly illuminate the tops of the clouds in the distance.

As I continued, eventually the higher layer thinned out to reveal a beautiful sight: The top half of the rising full moon was shrouded in a thin glowing veil, giving the man in the moon a more feminine look. The moon, combined with an oddly-shaped undercast, created a scene reminiscent of a sunrise over a glimmering fantasyland mountain range, its radiant beauty giving way to a turgid sea of darkness beneath me.

As I approached the "shore" I saw that I'd be going IMC again. This was a weird layer - I can only describe it as "Corrugated." :dunno: I alternated between glimpses of lights on the ground, followed by 30 seconds of IMC, a flash of light from the moon, 30 more seconds in the dark, and ground contact. Funky!

Eventually both went away. Chicago dropped me down to 4,000 and vectored me around for the ILS 36. Annoyingly, they kept me at 4,000 even after I requested lower - They vectored me as if I was at 3,000 or 2,700 but kept me up high. The glideslope was full deflection down before I intercepted the localizer, so I ended up flying...

...Uh oh...

The dreaded Localizer 36. This is the approach that I screwed up TWICE, including my first IR checkride, and now I'm doing it in actual. No chance of making the same mistake and descending early, since when I did finally intercept the localizer, I dropped like a rock and was still at 3000 (500 feet above glideslope) when I crossed OZMIX. Well, OK, down to localizer mins then, 1280 feet. I did finally drop through the glideslope (didn't intercept it... Who knows if it's the right one?) and by the time I got to 1280 I was under the clouds and the airport was right in front of me. I landed, closed the flight plan, and another great flight is in the book! :yes:

flyingcheesehead said:
and another great flight is in the book! :yes:

Cool. My first actual was at night, cool to see that rain soaked runway right in front when you pop out, eh? Cool stuff.

great write up again kent, you are inspiring me to just dump some money and go get some actual!

tonycondon said:
great write up again kent, you are inspiring me to just dump some money and go get some actual!

Me too! ...Oh wait...

Kent Shook wrote: "What do you folks use to check for ice at night?"

Out of the plane I fly, I can just barely see the winglets. So I used the tempature probe and a vibrator. :) Get your mind out of the gutter. LOL Actually there is a little metal rod that vibarates by the Pitot Probe. If it changes the vibration it is said to be dececting ice. So I get a nice little light on the pannel that comes on that says, "Ice Dectected". Hopefully, I had the Anti-Ice on before that.

If I am lucky to get to fly the chickenhawk....just a flashlight/eyes and a temperature probe.

I was flying in that region all weekend. Mainly Traverse City, MI and Redwing MN. I picked up some ice around 14k and then down to 8k but then it was warm enough to be just rain. I will say this, it was very beautiful on top with the moon shining.

The P-Baron has an ice light on the left side. Shines from just behind the engine along the top toward the leading edge of the wing.

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
The P-Baron has an ice light on the left side. Shines from just behind the engine along the top toward the leading edge of the wing.

Dave

You only have an ice light on one side? All the other Barons I've seen have one on each nacelle. I have none and have been thinking of adding one or two so I don't need to hold a flashlight on the leading edges to see ice form. I wonder if I should bother with two if one is OK.

lancefisher said:
You only have an ice light on one side? All the other Barons I've seen have one on each nacelle. I have none and have been thinking of adding one or two so I don't need to hold a flashlight on the leading edges to see ice form. I wonder if I should bother with two if one is OK.
The K-Ice Seneca only has it on the pilot side....

You only have ice lights on one side???

My Sundowner has a pilot-actuated pivoting light that provides coverage on both wings. Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!

As a VFR pilot, I ain't never even seen ice on the wings as a pilot. Did see it as a pax on an MU2, but thank goodness I didn't know enough about MU2s to be afraid.

Kent, again I thank you for your IFR stories. Can't wait until I can add my own.

Kent, great writeup! Leslie was going to do an IFR flight this weekend out of 1C5 (Chicago area), but was worried about ice. I was going to get current in the Skylane, but the ceilings were a little too low Sunday. Glad you got up! Sounds like you had fun!

gprellwitz said:
Kent, great writeup! Leslie was going to do an IFR flight this weekend out of 1C5 (Chicago area), but was worried about ice. I was going to get current in the Skylane, but the ceilings were a little too low Sunday. Glad you got up! Sounds like you had fun!
There was some icing down here this past weekend. There were PIREP for it along with the AIRMET and the icing reports were pretty low e.g. 4000MSL. We were supposed to lfy over to Grand Haven on a Coast Guard mission but cancled because we dod not want to be in the icing layers over the lake and did not want to fly so low that if we had any problems we would have to swim.

flyersfan31 said:
My Sundowner has a pilot-actuated pivoting light that provides coverage on both wings. Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!

So that is what that light was for.

gprellwitz said:
Kent, great writeup! Leslie was going to do an IFR flight this weekend out of 1C5 (Chicago area), but was worried about ice.

http://adds.aviationweather.gov/icing/

Better yet, if she doesn't trust the forecast:

http://adds.aviationweather.gov/data/pireps/pireps_NC_IC.gif

If you see a bunch of blue circles, or other icons that have big numbers on them, you're probably OK. :yes: The AIRMET forecast ice from a freezing level of 060-080 up to I think 160. The ADDS icing potential graphic for 6,000 feet was strictly white over all of Wisconsin. PIREPs showed negative ice or ice from 8 or 9 thousand up. So, I decided to file for 6 and see what happened, and on the off chance I still got ice I'd go down to 4.

I think ice was only a major consideration on one day of the storm (Friday or Saturday, can't remember). Surface temps around 35F.

I was going to get current in the Skylane, but the ceilings were a little too low Sunday. Glad you got up! Sounds like you had fun!

Thanks (to everyone)! Fun, as always. :yes:

Back