Night Flying

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
It's been a few years since I've logged night time and I forgot how fun it is. Feels good to be Night current again. That is all :D

Nice night wasn't it? Were you out this way at all?

Yeah, smooth out. Good moon too.

We're in NC right now. Should be in your area just prior to midnight to wake you all up.

Yeah, smooth out. Good moon too.

We're in NC right now. Should be in your area just prior to midnight to wake you all up.
Good deal! Just got home a few minutes ago. Full moon and clear sky, thought it would be a perfect night to knock the rust off and get some takeoffs and landings in.

Good night for you to be on call too!

Safe flying!

Also love night flying or flying as the sun is setting- everything just seems so peaceful around that time.

I have a love hate relationship with night flying. Nothing smoother, more beautiful or more peaceful... but I do not like the lowered safety margin if issues were to arise.

Also love night flying or flying as the sun is setting- everything just seems so peaceful around that time.
Indeed it does!

I have a love hate relationship with night flying. Nothing smoother, more beautiful or more peaceful... but I do not like the lowered safety margin if issues were to arise.
I agree, that's the only thing I don't like. I kept asking myself what the plan would be if I lost my engine and I knew the options were limited. It's one of the biggest reasons why I haven't flown in true night conditions in a couple of years prior to this flight, but it sure was nice for a change!

Gives you something to think about, that's for sure.

Exactly my situation too. Haven't resolved it.

Night flying is my favorite...the smooth air, even the nastiest city looks beautiful, often the air is so stable that you lose all sense of motion, you almost feel like you could step out of the plane and stretch your legs.

And as for safety, you all know the procedure, you're pilots! You establish best glide, head towards a likely-looking area to put it down...when you get close, turn on the landing light. If your intended landing area sucks, turn the landing light back off.

Simple.

I like night flying but it's a pain how often I find that airport lights are inop and not NOTAMed as such. Hurrah for powerful landing lights.

My neighbor and I flew down to St Simons (KSSI) Sunday afternoon to have seafood for supper. We made a night flight back home afterwards. I really enjoy seeing the sun set from an airplane. I also enjoy seeing the lights from cities in addition to the ultra smooth ride. No bumps from thermals. I don't have an auto-pilot so it is really neat to just be able to trim the plane and let her go. Fortunately they do a good job of maintaining the lights at my home airport. If there was ever an issue with the lights, the next airport north is only 9 miles away for an alternate. As far as the safety aspect goes, it is surprising how well you can see on a clear moon lit night. I'm sure there is some risk involved but I think it is pretty minimal and managable.

Back