night flying and panel lights?

I was not aware that there are rules requiring interior lighting based on type of airplane. Can you give some examples?

See 91.213:
FAR 91.213 said:
(d) Except for operations conducted in accordance with paragraph (a) or (c) of this section, a person may takeoff an aircraft in operations conducted under this part with inoperative instruments and equipment without an approved Minimum Equipment List provided--
(2) The inoperative instruments and equipment are not--
(ii) Indicated as required on the aircraft's equipment list, or on the Kinds of Operations Equipment List for the kind of flight operation being conducted;

So if the panel lights are indicated as required in the Kinds of Operations Equipment List(KOEL) for the flight, you can't take off with them inop.

The KOEL varies from model to model which is why it depends on the plane. Are there any aircraft with interior lights required by the KOEL? Attached is a page from the POH for a Cessna 182t that I've flown.

Attachments

• page50.pdf
    29.9 KB · Views: 6
My experience has been some panel lights work, some don't, some barely, or just kinda work, only they flicker on/off, and I don't care all that much, anyway.

See 91.213:

So if the panel lights are indicated as required in the Kinds of Operations Equipment List(KOEL) for the flight, you can't take off with them inop.

The KOEL varies from model to model which is why it depends on the plane. Are there any aircraft with interior lights required by the KOEL? Attached is a page from the POH for a Cessna 182t that I've flown.
Thanks. It makes sense to require enough lighting to see the engine controls, seat belts, circuit breakers or fuses, and so on. The VFR night regulations really should include "at least one means of being able to see the other things required by this section."

Thanks. It makes sense to require enough lighting to see the engine controls, seat belts, circuit breakers or fuses, and so on. The VFR night regulations really should include "at least one means of being able to see the other things required by this section."
We certainly need more pointless regulations.

We certainly need more pointless regulations.
People are killing themselves every day due to the lack of this regulation telling them then need light to see their instruments. Most pilots aren't smart enough to know they need a light to read them without having a FAR to tell them they need it.

/sarcasm

Yeah, gotta have more regs, to keep those other pilots in line - you know, the ones that aren't as smart as me. . .

LRI FMNG Photon Freedom LED Keychain Micro-Light, Night Vision Green Beam https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00180EKAW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glp6ybAPVEV32

I've got this $15 green light clipped on my Rosen visor. Click once and it's on. If you want to dim it down to your liking just hold the button. If you want to focus down on your lap without being in your peripheral vision just snatch off visor and clip near microphone pointed down.

Really hard to beat for $15.
+1 We keep 4 of these in a small zip lock bag in our flight bag. We just clip them on the headband of the headset and aim them ahead and down. Great for reading instruments and really handy for reading checklist with just one hand. I think we run them 1 click down from full strength. Basically a alternative to a mic light.

Back