Night flying and light gun restriction

Criitter7

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
On my medical I'm restricted to no night flying and no light gun control. Now I can see red white and green. I'm just like colors blind, I've failed those stupid shapes and number that pop up book test since like 3rd grade. I've been told I can have that restriction removed if I can prove I can see the proper lights. Who do I call to make this happen?
I've searched around and have found nothing. Anybody know?

What you don't do first is arrange for that test, because it's a one-strike-and-you're-out system.

The first thing you do is get yourself to an airport where there's a control tower, and have them shoot the lights at you to see if you can tell which one is which. Have someone with good color vision go along so they can tell you whether you're looking at red, green, or white. It's not important what color you actually see as long as whatever they shoot at you, you can correctly call it red/white/green. If you can train yourself to do this, then and only then do you start the process of arranging a "Operational Color Vision Test" for removing the restriction.

As or the process...

You go to your AME and tell him/her you want an Operational Color Vision Test to remove the restriction. Your AME will contact the FAA aeromedical people and you will receive a Letter of Authorization to take the test (Figure 5-153A in the section of FAA Order 8900.1 covering this). Read what it says about the OCVT so you know what to expect. Once you get the letter from CAMI, call the FSDO to schedule the test.

And remember -- don't take the test unless you're sure you can pass it.

Ok cool thanks. Yes I know I can see the colors. Already had tower flash colors at me with my instructor, passed with flying colors

Then it's time to proceed to Step 2 -- talk to your AME.

Yep thanks again
So it sounds like all the test is jut them shining gun at me right? Is there a certain distance I have to be from the tower?

Critter, I'm not so lucky. I tend to miss the white and green lights, especially in the daylight. In my case, I'm scheduling an appt with a Doc who specializes in the aviation color tests to see if I can have the restriction removed. Otherwise, I'll just fly with the restriction until then as I'm practicing for my checkride...

And just a note that this will have to wait until after the government shutdown, because this is considered non-essential.

What you don't do first is arrange for that test, because it's a one-strike-and-you're-out system.

And remember -- don't take the test unless you're sure you can pass it.
This one, Ron you get two cracks at. That's why it's important to PREPARE for the FIRST go. The first try is in daylight. The second is at night.

The night one has the challenge of doing the sectional chart in a Fluorescent lighted FSDO conference room (non normal light spectrum).

To critter 7 got to an AME that has at least 5 dot books. Most of the time there is one you can pass, esp is bright shaded daylight. The Optec 900 is the current Farnsworth Lantern, they are rare as they cost $6,000 to buy and only help a few. If you pass that one, the you are FOREVER wedded to finding a rare AME who has one.

I would concentrate on:
LEARNing the names of the colors in the Legend of the sectional in fluorescent light.

Learning the colors of the MALSR array by name.

Practicing with a CFI standing next to you, many many mock light gun signal tests, until you really CAN identify the smudgy white as the aviation green, and the white as white. Otherwise you will worry every medical for the next 40 years.....

Last edited:
This one, Ron you get two cracks at. That's why it's important to PREPARE for the FIRST go. The first try is in daylight. The second is at night.

The night one has the challenge of doing the sectional chart in a Fluorescent lighted FSDO conference room (non normal light spectrum).

To critter 7 got to an AME that has at least 5 dot books. Most of the time there is one you can pass, esp is bright shaded daylight. The Optec 900 is the current Farnsworth Lantern, they are rare as they cost $6,000 to buy and only help a few. If you pass that one, the you are FOREVER wedded to finding a rare AME who has one.

I would concentrate on:
LEARNing the names of the colors in the Legend of the sectional in fluorescent light.

Learning the colors of the MALSR array by name.

Practicing with a CFI standing next to you, many many mock light gun signal tests, until you really CAN identify the smudgy white as the aviation green, and the white as white. Otherwise you will worry every medical for the next 40 years.....

GREAT advice Bruce. To the OP, the reality of having to travel to a doc who has the appropriate tests AND PASS every two years is also something I've been struggling with. I'm thinking about practicing hard as Bruce suggests as well, but will take the tests only if my CFI and I believe I have learned, and can identify, the colors. In daylight, at least for me, the white and green are pretty darn close and I feel like I'm making a bet in Vegas and crossing my fingers...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back