Night flight.. your thoughts?

I haven't had a chance to say this in a while, but I think its time:

Night VFR is the safest flying possible to a private pilot. The potential risks that are unique are offset by the increases in collision avoidance, ease of airport location, ease if of PAPI and VASI use and increased performance of the airplane.

Im really glad to hear this, I was a little worried as im about so begin my XC and im sure some night flying.

Moon stats for the end of November are really great! Like Henning says, 0% illum and cloud cover...very, very dark. 100% illum and clear...might as well be daylight...almost.

Anyway, here is just one of many great sites to check on moonrise and moonset times, as well as % illumination. Anything above 80% is really bright in my book. (Note that it does no good if there is a full moon but the moon rises/sets too late/soon to help your flight.)

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/moonrise.html

Last edited:
Anyway, here is just one of many great sites to check on moonrise and moonset times, as well as % illumination. Anything above 80% is really bright in my book. (Note that it does no good if there is a full moon but the moon rises/sets too late/soon to help your flight.)

Hmm, I thought you were going to say that it does no good if there is a full moon but it's completely overcast. Actually if the moon is full, there is NO chance that it will rise at some arbitrary time. Moonrise and moonset and the phase of the moon are determined by the same thing, the position of the moon in its orbit around the earth. A full moon is always up all night -- it rises at or close to sunset, and sets at or close to sunrise.

Moon stats for the end of November are really great! Like Henning says, 0% illum and cloud cover...very, very dark. 100% illum and clear...might as well be daylight...almost.

Thank you for sharing that site!!! It explains a LOT about a recent experience I had with ... let's just say I couldn't see at night! Website says it was 1.1% illumination that night. I feel much better about that decision and now I have a new tool to add to my go/no-go for night VFR flight

Note that it does no good if there is a full moon but the moon rises/sets too late/soon to help your flight.

Umm...

If the moon is full, it's a really good bet that it rises very close to sunset and sets very close to sunrise.

A waxing gibbous moon is best for an evening flight, waning gibbous for early morning.

With dark adaptation, it's not difficult to read by gibbous moonlight. Without extraneous lighting, you have very clear shadows, and can see unlit objects quite well.

Last edited:
Whoops, yes, I am wrong about the full moon and when it rises/sets. Makes sense and is very obvious of course now that I've thought about it some more (duh). The experience I was remembering (and attributing to a full moon) is when it's more like a half moon (okay really quarter moon but you know what I mean!). Under goggles, even a half (quarter!) moon is great, but depending on whether it's waxing or waning, it comes up too late and goes down too early (may have those backwards) to be of any real use. I have 800 goggle hours as a crew chief, but only about 4 unaided (as a pilot).

Prepping to take a nice flight to Orlando with the wife, but because of the time change it's inevitable that any 'after work' trip from Naples will occur well into the dark. Now of my 110+hrs, only maybe 6-8 are in true night, not that it's ever been a problem for me, but I was just wondering what your biggest night flight trepidations are/were? How did you tackle them and what if any would your tips be? ;)

Go out and do some night flight to remind yourself what it is. And make sure that you're night current. Otherwise...enjoy it.

My big concern at night - not a fear - is that there will be a problem and if you have to land, you could have no idea what you're landing in. It's a legitmate concern - so fly IFR (I Follow Roads). I-75 to 35 to I-4 will take you right there and back. You'll be more comfortable with having the road under you. Roads make bad landing locations at any time, they're just better than the alternative at night.

"The only thing we have to fear is.... fear itself."

And an engine that suddenly has all kinds of kicks and sputters...

I favor the philosophy of reducing your exposure to risk.

I enjoy night flying and try to always stay current.

Why fly behind an engine you don't trust? Day or Night?

There are stats (I'm sure someone will cite the correct study- zaitcev or Jay Honcek?) and basically, yes there is an increased risk at night. However the airplane dosn't know or care that it's night. Only the pilot. The numbers show that the increased risk is small. When I looked at them, I reasoned that the gap is small enough to be statistically insignificant. However it always sucks if you're the 100% group that has the in-flight problem.

Last edited:
Anyone notice that Henning hasn't made another pitch for SVT?:D

I favor the philosophy of reducing your exposure to risk.

I enjoy night flying and try to always stay current.

There are stats (I'm sure someone will cite the correct study- zaitcev or Jay Honcek?) and basically, yes there is an increased risk at night. However the airplane dosn't know or care that it's night. Only the pilot. The numbers show that the increased risk is small. When I looked at them, I reasoned that the gap is small enough to be statistically insignificant. However it always sucks if you're the 100% group that has the in-flight problem.

I have no way of avoiding flying behind an engine I don't trust because I don't trust any engine, that's why I have 2. The plane doesn't care if I hit a telephone pole or a stand of trees as I go into the black below me, I on the other hand, do. Day VFR I can decide where to put it that may give me 200 feet or so to slow before taking on what's at the end, or the ability to aim between things. Night, it's all luck.

Last edited:
I have no way of avoiding flying behind an engine I don't trust because I don't trust any engine, that's why I have 2. The plane doesn't care if I hit a telephone pole or a stand of trees as I go into the black below me, I on the other hand, do. Day VFR I can decide where to put it that may give me 200 feet or so to slow before taking on what's at the end, or the ability to aim between things. Night, it's all luck.

...and that's the small gap in the numbers. If the fan quits your options are lessened by the poor visibility. For this, I agree that SVT and EVS are invaluable tools.

...and that's the small gap in the numbers. If the fan quits your options are lessened by the poor visibility. For this, I agree that SVT and EVS are invaluable tools.

SVT gets you to the valley instead of the side of a mountain, even FLIR doesn't reach out far enough to land on except to make minor corrections inside 1/4mile.

This. I'm a wuss. We all have different risk thresholds. I'm just not willing at this point in my life to risk not being able to convert a pick a good spot and land in the field daytime engine out emergency into what that would become at night.

Give me another engine for night flight right now.

Okay so I'm a big fan of night flying, even though I've only done it in training as a private pilot (but lots as a helicopter crew chief). While reading the regulations regarding qualification for night vision goggles (61.31(k)), what constitutes an "authorized instructor"? I have access to AN/AVS-9's through work (well, maybe, they are kind of sensitive). It's just difficult for me to consider flying at night unaided, especially if I have an option to use goggles.

EDIT: Point is irrelevant, although I'm still curious. 91.205(h)(3) and (7) means that even if *I* am qualified, the airplanes I fly in aren't.

Last edited:
This. I'm a wuss. We all have different risk thresholds. I'm just not willing at this point in my life to risk not being able to convert a pick a good spot and land in the field daytime engine out emergency into what that would become at night.

Give me another engine for night flight right now.

Just another engine won't cut it. Start reviewing the accident data for light twins and you'll find that you're better off in a SEL with a failed engine than a light-twin with a failed engine....but remember now you have two, so that chances of failure increse by 100%.

I'll take either a SEL or a highly capable ME

Just another engine won't cut it. Start reviewing the accident data for light twins and you'll find that you're better off in a SEL with a failed engine than a light-twin with a failed engine....but remember now you have two, so that chances of failure increse by 100%.

that's a little tough since there are no statistics of how many engine failures occur in singles or twins.

I don't think anyone would. Just that at night, you suddenly start hearing normal things for the first time.

Typical post from someone obviously w/o the rating nor experience.

200 undergross, even loss of an engine on rotation, as pre-departure briefed, results in flying it away. Where do you get that c_ap? That, and hostile terrain, are WHY people operate twins!!

Typical post from someone obviously w/o the rating nor experience.

200 undergross, even loss of an engine on rotation, as pre-departure briefed, results in flying it away. Where do you get that c_ap? That, and hostile terrain, are WHY people operate twins!!

Obviously I don't have the rating, that's a given. However I have been examining as much data as I can and there have been discussions on this board (many that you've participated in) that have also contributed to my attitude that twins are not always safer.

Back