Night Flight-student solo

U

Unregistered

I was a student pilot back in the 1980's. Oceanside Airport Ca. My instructor was teaching some ground school to some students one night. I asked if I could do some night flying in the pattern. He said ok. Advised that he would be inside with the class in case I needed anything. I do the preflight etc to to take off. Just as I lifted off the runway I hear this clank, clank clank noise. It scared the crap out of me.. I fly the pattern and return and land. As I am slowing down after landing on the runway the sound slows then stops. I get out of the plane look around. It was my seat belt hanging out of the door. I was so nervious about flying at night. I didn't even notice.....

Student pilots are not authorized to fly at night. Your 30years ago instructor could get a finger shook at him.

Student pilots are not authorized to fly at night. Your 30years ago instructor could get a finger shook at him.

They sure can. See 61.87(o)

I soloed at night and more than half of my students opt to solo at night.

That is making an assumption. I have had the loose ends of seatbelts outside the door on more than one occasion.

Yup. I have a (bad?) habit of not fastening my seatbelt when relocating aircraft from the fuel pumps to the hangar after a flight. Had one banging around shortly after I started the engine that just about gave me a heart attack.

There is no specific prohibition on Student Pilots flying at night. It's legal if the Student is properly trained, authorized, and endorsed by a CFI. See 61.87(o) for details. Of course, most instructors do not wish to authorize this because it isn't required and it puts the instructor's ticket at risk if something bad happens, but it is a legal option even if rarely exercised.

BTW, if you're not too large around the middle, you can have your seatbelt properly fastened in a Cessna and still have the end of the adjustment strap hanging out the door, and it doesn't start to bang until your airborne. BTDT. :redface:

Last edited:
Folks,

Let' not feed the troll.

I, for one am going to unsubscribe after this post.

BTW, if you're not too large around the middle, you can have your seatbelt properly fastened in a Cessna and still have the end of the adjustment strap hanging out the door, and it doesn't start to bang until your airborne. BTDT. :redface:

I...uhh....will never have that problem :rofl:

Me too Gregg, I'm better at checking my passengers' belt than my own. Usually
make a precautionary landing to check out that "strange" noise w/o admitting the problem and then confess as I carefully hit that item on the checklist for takeoff to continue the flight.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back