Night & Flight by color signals restriction Lifted

CLPSO-34

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CLPSO-34
Earlier this year I made a trip down to Dr Bruce Chens office to see if I could pass any of the alternative color vision tests, as I have a color deficiency and failed the original test during my medical. At one point during the Falant test he actually got up to make sure that the lights were in fact working because I was doing so poorly. It turns out I'm about as color blind as a dog. I failed every alternative test he had.

The next thing we did was get in his car and drive down to Peoria Airport and we did a mock gun test where they flashed 10 light signals at us. I was actually able to get all 10 of those correct. At this point, my only course of action in order to get the restriction lifted off my medical was to go and take the OCVT test with my local Fisdo, which Dr. Bruce helped me apply for.

Prior to my test, I did go out to a couple different airports with my flight instructor to prepare for the OCVT, and its a good thing I did. When I went to take the light signal test at the new Dupage Fisdo Office, they had a defective light gun. Had I not known there was something wrong with their gun, I would have permanently had the restriction on my medical and would not be able to pursue a career as a pilot. After going back and forth with the FISDO for about 20 minutes, we decided it was best to take the test at an actual airport. I was able to pass the OCVT and the flight test in the end and got it lifted off my medical. Also, they make you point out all the colors on a sectional chart while you are in a florescent interior room, which is challenging if you don't prepare for it.

Just thought I would share in case anybody else was going through the same situation.

Congrats. It's a little scary to think how easily your career ambitions could have been derailed by a defective light gun. Seems like they need a better system...

I refuse to do color vision test with indoor lighting.
Does your optometrist/ophthalmologist offer outdoor lighting as an option? I've never heard of that... I'm usually able to read all the plates in indoor lighting, though there was one time in my first AME's office that there were a couple I couldn't make out. He knew his plates were old and faded (and I'd passed the test with him before), so he gave me a pass.

But yeah... outdoor lighting is always best, IF the doctor allows it.

Dr. Bruce (and his last name is Chien by the way) has what he calls the "thermonuclear chamber" which is really the glassed in lobby of his office. Tons of natural daylight.

I've seen lights with quite a variety of color temperatures available in the hardware stores. Seems like it shouldn't be much of a problem for an AME to get one approximating sunlight.

Does your optometrist/ophthalmologist offer outdoor lighting as an option? I've never heard of that... I'm usually able to read all the plates in indoor lighting, though there was one time in my first AME's office that there were a couple I couldn't make out. He knew his plates were old and faded (and I'd passed the test with him before), so he gave me a pass.

But yeah... outdoor lighting is always best, IF the doctor allows it.

If the doctor doesn't allow it, go see someone else.

My previous AME showed me how different indoor lighting can fool your eyes. He also showed me a few of other common mistakes that can change the outcome of the medical exam. He was the best, but unfortunately he passed away.

I think I found a new guy, I have gone to him twice now and he had no problem with being in the "thermonuclear chamber" for the color and vision checks. He uses the big chart instead of the ancient machine.

I also do not let nurses take my blood pressure. No offense nurses, just had one very bad experience with that.

Dr. Bruce (and his last name is Chien by the way) has what he calls the "thermonuclear chamber" which is really the glassed in lobby of his office. Tons of natural daylight.
I agree, that's the best solution if the AME uses it. In practice though, the 3 AMEs I've used over the years either used a machine -- only one time that I recall -- in which the illumination might have had a color temperature close to natural daylight -- or ordinary fluorescent lighting, which is a higher color temperature than incandescent anyway.

And yes, @Zeldman, if I had trouble consistently with indoor lighting then I'd find a different AME. Like I said, normally I don't have any trouble with the plates under indoor lighting. (I suspect that most women don't as any degree of color blindness is unusual in women, but I'm sure there are exceptions.)

Had I not known there was something wrong with their gun, I would have permanently had the restriction on my medical and would not be able to pursue a career as a pilot.

Did you guys discuss the process for getting a 1st class medical too? Curious what the good doc recommends for preparing for the more in-depth process of an actual flight test to check color vision.

I agree, that's the best solution if the AME uses it. In practice though, the 3 AMEs I've used over the years either used a machine -- only one time that I recall -- in which the illumination might have had a color temperature close to natural daylight -- or ordinary fluorescent lighting, which is a higher color temperature than incandescent anyway.
If I was close to not passing, I'd ask to take them over to the window or some similar place.

There's lots of bad practice in AMEs out there. Don't even get me started on blood pressure testing...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back