Night current!

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I got night current tonight!

AND I DID IT SOLO!! (I'm excited about that only because I usually don't feel comfortable to regain night currency on my own, and grab an instructor... but I just flew with an instructor a couple of weeks back for my BFR, and we discussed me getting night current solo, and tonight I did it...)

It's been a while since my last PIC night flight... I had a short night flight (started in the day, ended at night, 0.2 night) in the SportStar in April when I took Lisa Simonds from this board for a ride in the LSA... nada night flight time since then.

I'm trying to fill in the 'blank spots' in my logbook on the aeronautical experience requirements (CFR 61.129a) for the CPL-ASEL. I had all of them satisfied except two, both of them in paragraph 4: a solo VFR X/C at least 300 nm in length with landings at 3 points, one of which is > 250nm from the original point of departure; AND the 10 takeoffs and landings at night, solo, in the traffic pattern of an airport with a control tower.

Well, the 2nd requirement there is now complete! I left 52F (NW Regional) at 6:42pm (sunset was at 5:30), flew over to Alliance/Fort Worth (KAFW) and spent a little over an hour in the pattern, getting 3 full stops and 7 t&g's. Then back to 52F, for a total of 4 full stops, 7 t&gs... that reset my night currency AND satisfied the CFR 61.129a(4)ii requirement...

Yahoo! Now, to plan the VFR X/C flight... I've flown solo trips longer than that distance (350nm) but didn't make two stops on the way back (STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!) so I get to do it all over again (AH, DARN! I have to FLY AGAIN! WHEE!).

WAY TO GO!!!!!

I also start at day and end at night. Kinda like taking baby steps.

Thanks, Brooke!

Tonight I started out at DARK and ended at DARKER. I usually do like to take off at dusk and gradually get accustomed to the dark, like I did with Lisa's flight back in March, but that wasn't possible tonight (schedule) so I just dived in, so to speak. It was a nice, clear night with calm winds, so that helped, but it still was DARK!

Congrats Troy! Glad to see you got up at night solo. Next thing you know...all your aeronautical experience will be checked off...and you'll be ready for the big ride. Time sure flies by. Enjoy the view at night. :)

Back