Night Current, and flying the fancy ones...

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Tonight was an awesome night.

The day started off with the weirdest weather briefing I've had yet. 4 TFRs located between CARTY on V12 and the Belen Airport. Apparantly, they were venting natural gas from the pipelines in that area. There was also a notam for runways 17/35 being closed indefintely at Double Eagle (wha??? how could I have not heard about that?). Another notam stated that there was an unlit, unmanned aerial vehicle going out at night at 400 agl, and it would be flying around Albuquerque, including near both airports. (edit: forgot about this one) Also - 2 GPS satellites were not working. Briefer said they were lost and could not be located. Weird.

Anyways....

I showed up at Double Eagle around 1930, and preflighted the arrow. They had closed down runway 17/35 for next few months because they're apparantly ripping it up and repaving it, making it longer. Winds were 320@8 gusting 16. That's a hell of a crosswind for runway 22/4 at the peak gust. We took off, planning on flying over to Albuquerque International, where there is a runway 17/35 and a 30/12. As soon as we departed, the winds shifted to 030@10. Not a bad cross wind for runway 4 at all.

We did a few full stop landings there, and then proceeded out to the practice area where we did a few stalls and 2 steep turns. I did pretty good, considering the horrible turbulence. We then came back, after dark, to land at Double Eagle, and I did 4 full stop landings (still on RW4)

At the end, I get a nice shiny endorsement for complex aircraft, and night currency as well.

Last edited:
NickDBrennan said:
Another notam stated that there was an unlit, unmanned aerial vehicle going out at night at 400 agl, and it would be flying around Albuquerque, including near both airports.

How do they get permision to do that????

lancefisher said:
How do they get permision to do that????

Permission? We don't need no steenkeeng permission.....

I want to know more about the missing satellites. Were they found or did one of 007's 'evil-nemesis' types take it down with an energy beam? Maybe the briefer was funnin' ya?

Congrats on the Complex Endorsement Nick. Had me worried with that "we" stuff about the night landings (though I figured it was probably an instructor).

I'd really like to know more about that unlit UAV. Do you know anything about it? Who's, what it's purpoe was, etc?

T Bone said:
Congrats on the Complex Endorsement Nick. Had me worried with that "we" stuff about the night landings (though I figured it was probably an instructor).

I'd really like to know more about that unlit UAV. Do you know anything about it? Who's, what it's purpoe was, etc?

Thank you!

For the unlit UAV - my dad works with them (although he is really quiet about them), and he didn't know anything about it. I dunno where to look to get info on it - but I don't like the idea tho.

Back