Night Currency

nickporter15

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Nick
Hi so I am over my night currency and this is my question. I usually fly at an airport about an hour from my house, with 2000 piper warrior III's (PA-28-161). There is a field a little bit closer and they have two (PA-28-161) one is from the 70's and one from the 80's. Is it legal to get my night currency back if it is a different year airplane even though it's the same model?

Isn't night currency just based on the same category and class, with an extra requirement for tailwheel currency? Pretty sure as long as it is any single engine land, you're fine. I think there's a difference if you need a type rating for what you are flying. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

The FARs are your friend. Download the ASA app for rapid searching and free update when new regs and changes are published.

61.57 is the currency reg. for night,

(b) Night takeoff and landing experience.

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of an aircraft carrying passengers during the period beginning 1 hour after sunset and ending 1 hour before sunrise, unless within the preceding 90 days that person has made at least three takeoffs and three landings to a full stop during the period beginning 1 hour after sunset and ending 1 hour before sunrise, and—

(i) That person acted as sole manipulator of the flight controls; and

(ii) The required takeoffs and landings were performed in an aircraft of the same category, class, and type (if a type rating is required).

(2) The takeoffs and landings required by paragraph (b)(1) of this section may be accomplished in a flight simulator that is—

(i) Approved by the Administrator for takeoffs and landings, if the visual system is adjusted to represent the period described in paragraph (b)(1) of this section; and

(ii) Used in accordance with an approved course conducted by a training center certificated under part 142 of this chapter.​

The Aggies are right, for the FAA it just needs to be Category and Class (and type if applicable, which it's not here).

However, I assume you're renting these aircraft. Many flight schools and rental outfits have requirements in addition to the FARs. For example, it might require that to be current at night for their purposes, you have three takeoffs and landings to a full stop at night in one of the school's airplanes. I've seen this kind of thing before, so I'd call them and check up on their particular requirements.

The aircraft just has to be the same category and class.

Isn't night currency just based on the same category and class, with an extra requirement for tailwheel currency? Pretty sure as long as it is any single engine land, you're fine. I think there's a difference if you need a type rating for what you are flying. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Aggie is right -- type only matters for landing currency if a type rating is required for the plane you're about to fly, and tailwheel landings count for tricycle gear currency but not vice versa. In any event, even if a type rating is required, model year doesn't matter -- landings in a 1968 Boeing 727 count fine for flying a 1969 B727.

Hi so I am over my night currency and this is my question. I usually fly at an airport about an hour from my house, with 2000 piper warrior III's (PA-28-161). There is a field a little bit closer and they have two (PA-28-161) one is from the 70's and one from the 80's. Is it legal to get my night currency back if it is a different year airplane even though it's the same model?
my first read of the message, I was wondering what in the world 2 thousand airplanes were doing at one field that wasn't in Oshkosh.

Back