Night currency with a KC-135

NealRomeoGolf

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
NRG
No, not IN a KC-135. Instructor and I went up in the dark today to get me night current. Been 13 years since I've flown at night. Apparently the ANG had the same idea. My first approach had extended down wind, call your base for the KC-135 on an 8 mile final. As he's doing that he clears 2 Chinooks for take off. So we go the long way to avoid the wake. Still got a right 360 for separation. Approach 2, same thing except without the Chinooks but another 360 for spacing. Approach 3 we thought the KC-135 had left the area. But this time I was asked to make a short approach for an inbound Lear. We decided to practice a go around to stay out of the way. Fourth approach, the KC-135 was back. Not as long an approach this time and we practiced a no landing light landing.

Usually 4 landings take less than 30 minutes. This time, an hour. Beautiful night to be up though. And now I'm night current....ish.

Maybe go find an airport with good lighting but little other traffic? I guess one good thing about sharing the pattern is they should keep the deer off the runway.

Back