Night currency question

sdflyer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
sdflyer
Here is scenario: I have a student who want to fly at night. I'm currently passed my 90 days of night currency. Can I legally give student instruction at night? Does it matter if student is pre-solo or licences pilot?

Thanks

Here is scenario: I have a student who want to fly at night. I'm currently passed my 90 days of night currency. Can I legally give student instruction at night? Does it matter if student is pre-solo or licences pilot?

Thanks

You are giving instruction? You're exempt from the night currency requirements as your student is not considered a passenger. There is a General Counsel letter floating around somewhere stating as such.

You are giving instruction? You're exempt from the night currency requirements as your student is not considered a passenger. There is a General Counsel letter floating around somewhere stating as such.

Yes I'm giving instruction. Thank you

Okay. If the student is PIC how can he carry a passenger without being night current?

:stirpot:

Okay. If the student is PIC how can he carry a passenger without being night current?

The student is not PIC, the instructor is. The student is a student, not a passenger.

The reg only says 'no passengers'

It takes like what 30 minutes to do 3 stops to a full stop to become night current. Why not just become night current?

The student is not PIC, the instructor is. The student is a student, not a passenger.

The reg only says 'no passengers'

And even if it was rated (or sport) pilot getting instruction the instructor isn't considered a passenger either. There are no passengers on an instructional flight. (assuming there are only 2 people in the plane)

Back