Night currency - Question

Mattl

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
Per FAR 61.57

"Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of an aircraft carrying passengers during the period beginning 1 hour after sunset and ending 1 hour before sunrise, unless within the preceding 90 days that person has made at least three takeoffs and three landings to a full stop during the period beginning 1 hour after sunset and ending 1 hour before sunrise, and- "

My question is - If today is the 91st day - does that mean that since I've made 3 qualifying landings in the 90 days before (preceding) today, I'm current till midnight tonight? To make it clear, the oldest most recent night landing, not including today was 90 days ago ( 31 day months have been accounted for). Does this one landing qualify for having night currency today, since it's in the preceding 90 days, or does that 90 days include today and if I were to fly today with PX not be legal? (This is assuming that I have made two additional qualifying night landings since the one 91 days ago, which I have.)

Thanks for the help!!!!!

(And for the record, after counting twice, today is actually the 92nd day, so I'm no longer current and need to go play in the pattern alone at least once before a passenger can come along, oh darn.... )

Last edited:
If today is the 91st day - does that mean that since I've made 3 qualifying landings in the 90 days before (preceding) today, I'm current till midnight tonight?
Yes, it does. The Chief Counsel and the preambles in the NPRM's and FR's have made abundently clear what the meaning of "preceding" is in this context, and your description is consistent with those.

Yes, it does. The Chief Counsel and the preambles in the NPRM's and FR's have made abundently clear what the meaning of "preceding" is in this context, and your description is consistent with those.

Thanks for the reply Ron! That's was I figured, but looks like I have to log some solo or instructor time again soon before taking flying with non rated friends again.

Back