Niece back in hospital

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I wanted to update y'all, since you have all been helping me with my coping stuff with my niece. After her last batch of chemo, Erin started to run a very large fever and is now in the hospital again.

She currently has a fever of 104 degrees, and since she has no immune system, can't fight the fever herself. I don't know what doctors do to reduce fever without an immune system, which is partially why I'm as scared as I am right now....although I'm sure not as scared as she is.

I'll be going to the hospital in about an hour to see how she's doing.

Sorry to hear that Nick!

Good Luck with everything and if there is anything at all that I can do holler.

i remember when i was a kid, i was placed in a tub with freezing water and ice, to bring my fever down. very traumatic.
my prayers go out to her Nick.

Thinking of you and your family. Makes my broken arm seem rather iconsequential too. Best of luck to you all and a good recovery for your niece.

SkyHog said:
I wanted to update y'all, since you have all been helping me with my coping stuff with my niece. After her last batch of chemo, Erin started to run a very large fever and is now in the hospital again.

She currently has a fever of 104 degrees, and since she has no immune system, can't fight the fever herself. I don't know what doctors do to reduce fever without an immune system, which is partially why I'm as scared as I am right now....although I'm sure not as scared as she is.

I'll be going to the hospital in about an hour to see how she's doing.

Actually, the fever is an immune response. Quite likely they'll try to keep the fever to a non threatening level with cold compresses/ cooling blanket. The fever is the bodies way of killing off the virus. Unfortunately, this is one of the side effects of chemo, however, it is normally manageable. Just keep up your spirits as they directly effect hers, and her spirit is as important to her coming through all of this as anything else. It's always sadding when someone goes through this, even more so when they are young, it seems to age them prematurely. However people do come out the other end clean. I had dinner the other night with a lady who went through the whole nine yards 14 years ago, just got her most recent test back...clean. Never loose hope and don't let her either.

sorry to hear this Nick. I hope her fever breaks and she is ok. how much more chemo is she going to be on?

Hang on, Nick. Be strong with her and for her.

Hey Nick tell her Rachel's Browine troop is pullingfor her!! They and I send my prayers and best wishes.

I'm very sorry this is happening Nick!

Hang in there and be the strong Uncle for her.

Hope you can give her the support and comfort she needs so much right now. Sounds like her family is there for her.

Dave

My niece's fever broke a bit ago. She is still feeling crummy, and we think she might have a touch of the flu, which is not a good thing to have in her case.

Either way, she should be out of the hospital in a few days. Thank God.

Elizabeth - she was scheduled for 2 years and 4 months of chemo. She's now down to about 2 years I believe.

2 years and four months??? and she's been through 4 months? good God. how far apart are they spaced? her entire memory of childhood is going to be that she was sick sick sick. poor thing.

ugh - temperature is back up. Its up to 105 now. They're doing blood cultures. Ugh.

SkyHog said:
ugh - temperature is back up. Its up to 105 now. They're doing blood cultures. Ugh.

Sounds like she's in pretty good hands.
Take care & be careful.

ok - fever broke again. Its down to 101 now. It was up to 106 about 3 hours ago. 101 is still a bit scary though. She's been over 100 for about 36 hours.

SkyHog said:
ok - fever broke again. Its down to 101 now. It was up to 106 about 3 hours ago. 101 is still a bit scary though. She's been over 100 for about 36 hours.

good deal, on its way back down.

woodstock said:
2 years and four months??? and she's been through 4 months? good God. how far apart are they spaced? her entire memory of childhood is going to be that she was sick sick sick. poor thing.
With luck, her memories of childhood will be of all the wonderful things Uncle Nick and others have done for her and not all the [bad] times in the hospital.
I wish her well. Nick's such a nice guy to stay around and be a big part of her life. It makes what she's going through a tiny bit better.

SkyHog said:
ok - fever broke again. Its down to 101 now. It was up to 106 about 3 hours ago. 101 is still a bit scary though.

Nick,

I wish your niece good luck and her doctors good knowledge and skill.

Don't be suprized if her temp goes up and down for awhile. Most people will "spike" a temp at least twice a day when they are sick. Usually around 2-4 in the afternoon and again around 2 at night. That is when your natural steroids are lowest. Steroids are anti-inflammatory agents and will lower temperatures. Low grade temperatures do help your immune system to function (between 99 and 101.5) Over 102.5 the temperature itself can cause some problems, so we like to do something to get it down. Usually, tylenol works but sometimes you have to get creative.

Again, I wish your niece well.

Barb

Thanks for all the kind words. Her fever is now staying steady around 102. She is also displaying cold and flu symptoms like coughing and sniffling. Doctors say that is a good thing, because eventually the antibiotics will destroy a flu or cold, it will just take a really long time since her immune system is whacked. Apparantly, she has one, but its not really functional.

Whew. My niece is doing better. Over 12 hours with a normal temperature. I just got a text message from my sister:

"Her counts (white blood cells) are bringing themselves up without another transfusion and her fever is almost completely gone. I pleaded to let her go home, but they said no. But soon."

Then, after me thanking god and her for telling me, I got this:

"She is getting better. They are going to pt cotton swabs up her more to try to locate the infection but it seems to be clearing itself up."

Since that was a text message, I have no idea what "cotton swabs up her more" means, but I assume more is actually a different word that predictive texting predicted wrong. Either way - my niece is pulling through the latest struggle. Thanks for listening, and thank the good lord above.

SkyHog said:
Since that was a text message, I have no idea what "cotton swabs up her more" means, but I assume more is actually a different word that predictive texting predicted wrong.

If she's texting from a phone I'd bet "more" is "nose" as M & N share a key and r and s do as well.

Glad she's doing better. Where is sux she has to stay in the hospital a little longer, it's better then having to go back.

Missa

Nick,
given that I'm usually just hanging around the HangarTalk section, I just saw this -

I know you must have been very upset about this and what she's going through, and I'm grateful that she's doing better. It has to be hard on all of you - she sounds like quite a trouper!

I second the thought that what she'll remember is her Uncle Nick taking her to see balloons and doing stuff with her, and caring so much about her. Hang in there and know that you are making a difference in that child's life. What more could anyone hope for?

I'll keep a good thought for all of you - her, especially.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back