Nicotine Inhaler

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Ok - I have come to grips with this. I am a nicotine addict. I need to quit smoking.

I understand that most medications are banned by the FAA because they are considered antidepressants. Am I allowed to use the Nicotine Inhaler, and if so, how hard is it to get a doctor to prescribe it?

I am in the same boat. 2+ packs a day for 30+ yrs. Doc prescribed Zyban,
if used for smoke cessation does this "ground" me?

Unregistered said:
I am in the same boat. 2+ packs a day for 30+ yrs. Doc prescribed Zyban,
if used for smoke cessation does this "ground" me?
Yes, Wellbutrin is prohibited. It is an "SSRI" drug and they are verboten. If I had the answer to smoking cessation, do you thnk I'd still be working? Sigh.

NickDBrennan said:
Ok - I have come to grips with this. I am a nicotine addict. I need to quit smoking.

I understand that most medications are banned by the FAA because they are considered antidepressants. Am I allowed to use the Nicotine Inhaler, and if so, how hard is it to get a doctor to prescribe it?

Nick, Its all about Will Power. you are allready thinking that you need to quit, so you are on your way. Pick a quit date..then plan for that date..Stick to it, keep telling yourself i am going to do it. the first 3 days sure are hell. but the 4th gets much easier. of course, once you quit, you need to stay quit..DOH!
That was my problem, I quit, then got excited one day and..Bang..right back at it...
I am back where you are at now Nick. Pick a date, and I'll do it with you.
your neice is fighting this terrible cancer, and here we are trying to get it. sigh.

call me.

Last edited:
NickDBrennan said:
Nick, I'm glad to hear that you're quitting. I smoked 3 packs a day (years and years ago) and quit with the help of nicotine gum. You'll find a method that works for you.

Keep us posted on your progress. It's a tough addiction, but you CAN overcome it. :yes:

Seems the only logical way to beat it is to fool it by a systematic reduction in use. Yes, decrease your use gradually, a step at a time. If you smoke two packs a day, cut it to a pack and a half. Do this for a month, longer if necessary, but with good effort. Sure you can. The body then gets used to that amount eventually. After a month, or so, drop to one pack a day for another month (or so). Ditto happens. Then on to half a pack. Each time, with honest effort, of course, your body will get used to the lesser amount and at the half pack a day point it will be much easier to then "go for broke". The body will still be screaming for it's allotment but with much less demand thereby making it easier to go cold turkey. A patch could be used at this point and be useful, if necessary, and be much more effective now that the craving has been diminished. Flat out cold turkey is very difficult to do and has resulted in many failed attempts. Try the law of diminishing returns to outfox that nicotene beast.

bbchien said:
Yes, Wellbutrin is prohibited. It is an "SSRI" drug and they are verboten. If I had the answer to smoking cessation, do you thnk I'd still be working? Sigh.

Thanks Doc. What about the inhaler, yay or nay from the FAA?

Michael said:
Nick, Its all about Will Power. you are allready thinking that you need to quit, so you are on your way. Pick a quit date..then plan for that date..Stick to it, keep telling yourself i am going to do it. the first 3 days sure are hell. but the 4th gets much easier. of course, once you quit, you need to stay quit..DOH!
That was my problem, I quit, then got excited one day and..Bang..right back at it...
I am back where you are at now Nick. Pick a date, and I'll do it with you.
your neice is fighting this terrible cancer, and here we are trying to get it. sigh.

call me.

You looking for a quittin' buddy? heh.

I'm gonna set my quit date for October 17th. The day after the Great Western Fly In.

Diana said:
Nick, I'm glad to hear that you're quitting. I smoked 3 packs a day (years and years ago) and quit with the help of nicotine gum. You'll find a method that works for you.

Keep us posted on your progress. It's a tough addiction, but you CAN overcome it. :yes:

I found out (well, I guess I knew) that you can't smoke in an intensive care unit or actually *anywhere* inside a hospital. After a few days of that I was over the worst of it.

Nick, find somewhere that it's absolutely forbidden to smoke and schedule yourself to be there for several days straight.

Just a thought.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back