Nicotine addicts

My Maule had an A.D. requiring a no smoking placard, so it would possibly be illegal.
One of the certification requirements at one point required no smoking signs if the fabrics weren't fireproof or something like that. The ash trays these days tend to be long gone. They were gone from my Navion when I bought it. The 170 I flew before that had the headphone jacks where the ashtrays were. There was a popular (but unofficial mod) to use the screw holes for the side-mounted ashtrays on the Bonanzas to mount a particular brand of folding cup holder instead.

My parents were both smokers. It took me a while to realize why some of my friends' houses smelled different (it was the absence of smoke that was strange to me). My wife was a smoker, though she quit decades ago.

The CEO of our company was a smoker. Often, I'd have to go outside the building to the smoking area to have some discussion with him. When we'd fly (airlines) together, he'd make a beeline from the gate to the first legal smoking area (usually out on the curb at the drop off area).

A couple times on the clock I helped wipe down the walls and ceiling of my bosses eat in kitchen of cig smoke. It was a gathering place for all his kids and friends and many people smoked in there. He consumed his fair share of bourbon at that kitchen table. I may have drank a few beers at that table...

I going to determine if some of this is caused by anxiety starting flight training and it it doesn’t improve cut him loose.

You're more generous than I am. I don't need to deal with that.

Back