Nick! Never talk to the media

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
For those who missed it, this is how Cena’s brief segment played out. There was a voiceover that said: “John Cena doesn’t like being asked if he has used steroids.” To me, that showed a bias right from the start.Then, a reporter asked the question, “Have you ever taken steroids?”

The following is what CNN aired as Cena’s response: “This is a crazy question and it’s something that’s tough to answer just because of the way society is now. The way people conceive things, because performance-enhancing drugs have got the spotlight and it’s a hot thing to talk about. I can’t tell you that I haven’t, but you’ll never be able to prove that I have.”

Seeing Cena’s answer in its entirety was quite revealing.

When asked if he ever took steroids, Cena’s immediate response was: “Absolutely not.” The reporter then interrupted him and said: “Even back in bodybuilding days? Football days?” That’s when Cena said, “This is a crazy question. …”

After he got to the “I can’t tell you that I haven’t” part, which I’m sure CNN saw as a smoking gun, Cena continued his thought: “Because each one of you out there has an opinion on how I carry myself, and I can take a million tests – I’ve been tested for drugs since I was 17 years old. I can take a million tests. I can pass every one of them. As soon as I pass it, there’s some guy on the other end going ‘Oh, there’s masking agents, there’s this, there’s that.’ I know the arguments because I’ve been in the situation. This is a subject that is very, very near and dear to me only because since I was a very small child I have worked my [butt] off to get to where I’m at, and it [stinks] to have to deal with people saying that I rely on a crutch. I take great pride in the fact that I have a God-given gift of above-average natural strength, and I show it off whenever I can, because to me that’s fun, that’s entertaining, it’s what I love to do.”

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/wrestling/blog/2007/11/cnn_owes_cena_an_apology.html

This is why we shouldn't talk to reporters at the airport.

John Cena is a class act. To see him defamed in the media like this ****es me off really, really badly. His family is great, his brother is great, and John Cena does not deserve this crap.

If anyone could see what he's like in real life, behind the smoke and mirrors of wrestling, there'd be no doubt as to what I'm talking about.

:mad:

This is why we shouldn't talk to reporters at the airport.

And that's for something that, in the scheme of things, isn't important in that it doesn't affect national policy, it doesn't take lives, etc.

Now remember that the news covers things that do both of the above all the time, and that people base their opinions, judgments, and decisions off of those.

Just a little troubling, isn't it?

How true! The media has a way of wording things for their own benefit. I know first hand!

A long time ago I worked at a large credit card processor that had large mainframes where the processing was done. I coded a crude virus detection system for IBM PCs and it was noticed by the media from an ad I ran in the local paper. During my development I tested the program on my own PC and also on a PC at my work. PCs were just getting to be hot.

A reporter wanted to run a story on me and the development of the virus detection program. During the interview I stated I had tested the program on several PCs including my work PC. Well, the reporter turned that into a mess for me. Luckily the PC was virus free but the story mentioned I had run the program against my companies computer (everyone assumed the mainframe) and my 15 mins of fame turned into a chewing out by the CIO.

I thought I was going to be fired. Needless to say, I learned not to talk to the meda - the hard way.

Allan

The drive toward the eight-word "sound byte" quote is a lot of why I got out of newspapers. Well, plus the people who work at them are, generally speaking, self-important morons.

And newspapers are better than broadcast when it comes to depth. In the aftermath of JFK Jr., I was on Fox and NBC news a bunch of times. I would spend 20 minutes briefing the producer on what info I had, what I would speculate about and what I would not speculate about, and then the talking airhead would come on and ask some insipid question that had nothing to do with anything.

The drive toward the eight-word "sound byte" quote is a lot of why I got out of newspapers. Well, plus the people who work at them are, generally speaking, self-important morons.

And newspapers are better than broadcast when it comes to depth. In the aftermath of JFK Jr., I was on Fox and NBC news a bunch of times. I would spend 20 minutes briefing the producer on what info I had, what I would speculate about and what I would not speculate about, and then the talking airhead would come on and ask some insipid question that had nothing to do with anything.
I like your use of the word "inspired." I'm sure the source of inspiration was stupidity, ignorance or a combination of the two.

I recall the morning of that news. I was sitting in a car dealer service area in Fort Collins listening to a few ignorant comments.

I like your use of the word "inspired." I'm sure the source of inspiration was stupidity, ignorance or a combination of the two.

I recall the morning of that news. I was sitting in a car dealer service area in Fort Collins listening to a few ignorant comments.

He actually used insipid, a more accurate description, unfortunately. I hate the media.

Back