Nice XC Flight

HerrGruyere

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Pistol Pete
I finally flew my first XC since getting my PPL back in November '12. I also flew my third passenger since getting my PPL. It's nice flying with someone. I always get bored flying by myself and never end up going anywhere. My coworker, though, likes planes just as much as I do. So, I told him I'd take him on a XC from FDK to LUA.

Anyway, we had to reschedule this flight twice due to wind. The first time, the weather ended up being okay despite the forecasted winds. It was just cloudy. The second time I just had to move it a day over, which was a good decision. It sure was windy this Saturday.

Sunday, though, was great! Nice and sunny. A little chilly and there was a temperature inversion, but otherwise great. The briefer indicated there was an AIRMET for moderate turbulence through the flight area. I was bummed, but determined. The wind was steady on the field at around 8 knots going down the runway.

I got the keys, anyway, and began the preflight. I ran into my old instructor on the way back in to get a headset for my coworker, and she said it's going to be a nice flight. It's only turbulent below 2,500. Sweet.

So, preflight done (and it was a good 20 minute one to make sure everything was squared away). Off we went! I hadn't flown in almost two months, but it came right back to me. A little bit of a crosswind on takeoff, and we were really climbing - around 1,000 fpm! Those 172Rs really like cold weather.

We had a terrible headwind getting down to LUA. Our GS was 80 knots according to the GPS. I did some good, old-fashioned piloting, dead reckoning, tracking a VOR, etc. I much prefer that to the boring follow a pink line. I screwed up trying to activate my flight plan, and I realize I just had the wrong radio tuned in. Oh well. I did not get a flight following, since Potomac controllers can be a little touchy. I did hear two interesting things over the Guard frequency: 1) someone played about 30 seconds of a country song, and then a few seconds later, some yokel was like, "Play it again!!" 2) someone was about to violate some airspace by Andrews and they were getting yelled at.

I entered the pattern a little goofy at LUA, but I couldn't see/hear anybody else in the area. Next time I'll fly over the mountains and sort of "sled" down the hill to enter the pattern correctly. LUA has a right pattern on the active, and that grazes a mountainside, so it can be a bit tricky. Anyway, a nice, gentle touchdown even though I briefed my coworker that it was gonna be firm since it's a short runway and I like to plant it down.

We turn around but nobody is there, so my coworker can't go pee. I also didn't feel like stopping since the Hobbs was running up. I demonstrated a soft field takeoff. I love those. We had a great tailwind back to FDK. The GPS indicated about 140 knots groundspeed! Sweet! Took us 20 minutes to get back.

I stopped in the practice area on the way back. After a clearing turn, I did a steep turn to the right and then a power off stall. My coworker was a bit surprised by the abrupt stall, but he enjoyed it. I just wanted him to experience what you don't normally get in commercial aviation.

Our landing at FDK was one of my best. In fact, both of these landings were so good, I wish I had been on my checkride. A good crosswind from the left really let me practice my crosswind landing skills, which I've been meaning to do. The left wheel gently touched first, and then the right and front. Plenty of time to stop for taxiway bravo. Pulled the plane in and put her to sleep.

What a great way to rack up 2.0 on the Hobbs and some more XC time!

Sorry for the long writeup. I remember someone mentioned they wanted to hear a writeup after my flight in a thread I created about frost, so here it is. I also had a lot of coffee this morning and am distracted at work.

Very nice, always good to hear about people sharing aviation!

oh yeah... pics or it didnt happen

Back