Nice panel upgrade

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
My former instrument student who graciously grants me use of his lovely Bo A36 called today and said, "Let's go flying....you have to see what I did..."

Lo and behold she now has a new Garmin 430W and the Aspen Evolution 1000 PFD complete with synthetic vision. It's pretty cool technology. Sadly, was enjoying playing with the new toys and didn't snap a photo. Will do that next time.

Anyone care to share favorite tips/tricks for the Aspen?

Man that sounds like: 1. a really nice student and 2. a sweet plane/setup!

Its really a pretty simple set up. I didn't really find any tricks, just had to sit down and move knobs and push buttons. There is a MDA/DA function that will call out Minimums which is cool. Hopefully someone else will have something better for you.

Its really a pretty simple set up. I didn't really find any tricks, just had to sit down and move knobs and push buttons. There is a MDA/DA function that will call out Minimums which is cool. Hopefully someone else will have something better for you.

Like most I'm sure it boils down to "buttonology". I did purchase and download Sporty's video tutorial on it which seems pretty good. A couple of times through that, then some time hooked up to the battery booster on the ground should do it.

Biggest tip I can think of is that both the 430 AND the Evolution have to be told to use GPS nav if you want a coupled autopilot.

It's a nice setup. The only gripe I have is that the Evolution screen is very small for my taste. But that's the tradeoff for a nice retrofit -- it has to fit in two "cans."

The other tip (and I'm sure you know this) is GET YOUR HEAD UP. Evolutions are eyeball suckers, particularly if you're looking at trend lines. That's fine in IMC (I presume), but it scares the bejeezus out of me in VMC.

Stop by the eye-doc to get your prescription updated.

Get used to the various bugs and using them. Speed, altitude, heading, and the mins are all very nice. Get used to changing the nav inputs on it, although the 430 is the primary one you use.

I've not used synthetic vision, but my friend who has it on his Aspen says he leaves it on the top half of the screen and the normal HSI on the bottom. Says that makes it easier for him to read the HSI. Makes sense to me.

A half hour behind the yoke and you will have mastered a very intuitive piece of equipment. Really.. I found the Aspen unit to be extremely simple and intuitive.

What I did find a bit challenging to begin with was using the tapes for altitude and airspeed information. It was too easy to rely on the old airspeed indicator and altimeter. Old habits are hard to break. I finally covered the old instruments for a number of VFR flights in a effort to retrain myself. Once the retraining is completed, the result is a much smaller and more concentrated instrument scan.

A half hour behind the yoke and you will have mastered a very intuitive piece of equipment. Really.. I found the Aspen unit to be extremely simple and intuitive.

What I did find a bit challenging to begin with was using the tapes for altitude and airspeed information. It was too easy to rely on the old airspeed indicator and altimeter. Old habits are hard to break. I finally covered the old instruments for a number of VFR flights in a effort to retrain myself. Once the retraining is completed, the result is a much smaller and more concentrated instrument scan.

I've been spending a lot of time teaching in our Jabiru 170 LSA lately and that has the GRT PFD. I've been surprised at how quickly I've come to love that display and using the speed and altitude tapes. I think that will make the Evolution transition somewhat easier. Amazing technology.

Biggest tip I can think of is that both the 430 AND the Evolution have to be told to use GPS nav if you want a coupled autopilot.

It's a nice setup. The only gripe I have is that the Evolution screen is very small for my taste. But that's the tradeoff for a nice retrofit -- it has to fit in two "cans."

The other tip (and I'm sure you know this) is GET YOUR HEAD UP. Evolutions are eyeball suckers, particularly if you're looking at trend lines. That's fine in IMC (I presume), but it scares the bejeezus out of me in VMC.

Thanks. We've had some say "get 20 hours on it before flying hard IMC"...we're going to putting some hours on it, but what are your thoughts?

Get used to the various bugs and using them. Speed, altitude, heading, and the mins are all very nice. Get used to changing the nav inputs on it, although the 430 is the primary one you use.

I've not used synthetic vision, but my friend who has it on his Aspen says he leaves it on the top half of the screen and the normal HSI on the bottom. Says that makes it easier for him to read the HSI. Makes sense to me.

We're waiting for an upgraded autopilot interface. Right now that isn't coupling properly. The SV is truly amazing. We flew with it using the whole screen and I kinda liked that, but time will tell. Interesting to watch the runway numbers grow and slide under you!

We're waiting for an upgraded autopilot interface. Right now that isn't coupling properly. The SV is truly amazing. We flew with it using the whole screen and I kinda liked that, but time will tell. Interesting to watch the runway numbers grow and slide under you!
Are you talking about Clint's A36? Sounds amazingly similar.

Thanks. We've had some say "get 20 hours on it before flying hard IMC"...we're going to putting some hours on it, but what are your thoughts?

I'm not instrument rated, so I can't comment on that.

As for time, I occasionally rent an Archer with this setup. I find it takes conscious effort to keep my eyes outside. I suspect more time and a lot more practice with an instrument scan (including outside) will make that better.

Back