Nice, Open-Source CD/DVD Burning Software

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
Some of you probably know about it, but I just started using it a few months ago.

I like it a lot better than most of the proprietary suites I've used because it's simple, lightweight, fast, stable, doesn't install hooks all over the place, and has all the features I actually use, without a lot of distracting nonsense I don't want or need.

http://www.imgburn.com/

I should mention that Nero locked up after I installed ImgBurn; the two apparently don't play nicely together. But I like ImgBurn better, anyway, so I uninstalled Nero.

-Rich

Thanks for the link! I've been looking for some other options recently. Right now, I'm using Roxio.

I should mention that Nero locked up after I installed ImgBurn; the two apparently don't play nicely together. But I like ImgBurn better, anyway, so I uninstalled Nero.

-Rich

Rich,
I have been using ImgBurn along with several Nero versions without any problems. You may want to change the order of installations of the two programs to see if it helps.

HPL

Rich,
I have been using ImgBurn along with several Nero versions without any problems. You may want to change the order of installations of the two programs to see if it helps.

HPL

I thought about that, but ImgBurn does everything I need; so I never bothered to re-install Nero. (It was the free OEM version that came with a DVD-R drive, anyway, so it's not as if I paid for it.)

Thanks,

Rich

With two kids, and the ever growing number of DVD's we have, does this software allow me to make a backup copy so I can leave the original at home when the kids want to take their movies to my mother-in-law's house to spend the night? We have already had a tragedy or two in the past couple of years. Unfortunately the movies were ones I liked too.:frown3:

With two kids, and the ever growing number of DVD's we have, does this software allow me to make a backup copy so I can leave the original at home when the kids want to take their movies to my mother-in-law's house to spend the night? We have already had a tragedy or two in the past couple of years. Unfortunately the movies were ones I liked too.:frown3:

Yes. You can create ISO files from an existing disk or from files or folders you specify.

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=screenshots

and more specifically

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=6380&

I have never had occasion to copy a copyrighted disk (most of the stuff I work with is open-source software and is perfectly legal to copy and distribute), so I don't know how it deals with copy protection and encryption. I think all it does is make a bit-for-bit copy, so I imagine it should work fine.

If I have a chance, I'll try to copy a commercial DVD later to test it. I think making one copy for archive and backup purposes is still legal.

-Rich

Last edited:
Yes. You can create ISO files from an existing disk or from files or folders you specify.

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=screenshots

and more specifically

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=6380&

I have never had occasion to copy a copyrighted disk (most of the stuff I work with is open-source software and is perfectly legal to copy and distribute), so I don't know how it deals with copy protection and encryption. I think all it does is make a bit-for-bit copy, so I imagine it should work fine.

If I have a chance, I'll try to copy a commercial DVD later to test it. I think making one copy for archive and backup purposes is still legal.

-Rich

Thanks, Rich. this would solve a potentially expensive problem for our household.

Thanks, Rich. this would solve a potentially expensive problem for our household.

Hmmm... doesn't work on copy-protected disks. Bummer.

I did some googling, and apparently there are other ways to do this using other applications of questionable legality to break the encryption, though why this should be necessary at all to clone a disk I can't say, unless safeguards are built into the drive's firmware somehow. That wouldn't surprise me, actually; if MPAA could figger out a way to collect it, they'd probably want a royalty paid every time we thought about a movie.

(Ironically, the DVD I tried to copy was "The Godfather.")

-Rich

I think all it does is make a bit-for-bit copy, so I imagine it should work fine.

-Rich

Hmmm... doesn't work on copy-protected disks. Bummer.

I did some googling, and apparently there are other ways to do this using other applications of questionable legality to break the encryption, though why this should be necessary at all to clone a disk I can't say, unless safeguards are built into the drive's firmware somehow. That wouldn't surprise me, actually; if MPAA could figger out a way to collect it, they'd probably want a royalty paid every time we thought about a movie.

(Ironically, the DVD I tried to copy was "The Godfather.")

-Rich

That is where they get you. They intentionally write bad sectors into the DVD on tracks that are impossible to get to during normal use. Basically no nav menu in the dvd will take you there.

The DVD copy will fail on those tracks. Of course -- the software pirate community has figured out a way around this by looking at the disc structure before-hand and skipping the bad sectors.

There is also some newer copy protection stuff that more or less just comes up with other little dirty tricks that the dvd copying programs haven't thought of.

Of course -- the dvd copy developers easily built around that. There really is nothing right now that'll stop you from copying a DVD provided you have the right software. Many companies are not interested in the legal risk, and therefore, do not build their software with the ability to copy DVD movies.

I've never had any issues with Deepburn. It encodes and burns mp3s onto an audio CD, and it can burn .isos to a DVD or CD.

Also, it's really simple to use.

Here is the link to the guide for making backup DVD copies with DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter

http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/petesguide3.html

HPL

DVD Decrypter is the key for making legitimate backup copies of your legitimately owned DVDs.

YUMPIN' YIMINY.....
You fixed my problem!
Rich mentioned imgburn here, and I was going to 'get around to it' but with this thread I had to give it a go. I uninstalled the Toshiba software and Nero, Roxio, then installed imgburn.
Right off, it burned a DVD which it could not before and I can read one too.
I can even figure out their buttons!
THANKS!
It was all a software problem that Toshiba was set to swipe my harddrive to fix,...followed by a trip to the depot.

YUMPIN' YIMINY.....
You fixed my problem!
Rich mentioned imgburn here, and I was going to 'get around to it' but with this thread I had to give it a go. I uninstalled the Toshiba software and Nero, Roxio, then installed imgburn.
THANKS!
It was all a software problem that Toshiba was set to swipe my harddrive to fix,...followed by a trip to the depot.

He shoots, he scores!

YUMPIN' YIMINY.....
You fixed my problem!
THANKS!

Glad it worked out for you :thumbsup:

YUMPIN' YIMINY.....
You fixed my problem!
THANKS!

Glad it worked out, and you're welcome.

-Rich

Back