Nice online aviation experiment

Aero Research

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Aero Research
I'm doing the MSc. Human Factors & Safety Assessment in Aeronautics, at the Cranfield University (UK).
Currently I'm working on my thesis experiment where I'm measuring cockpit instrument performance. Now I also created an online version of the experiment to collect data at a bigger scale.

Everybody is welcome to participate (pilots and non-pilots). It is an interactive experiment that takes about 10 minutes. It's not a boring questionnaire and most participants really like it.

The experiment is not perfect, since I had to create it within a limited time and had to work with a complete new programming language (actionscript 3.0).
All general comments are welcome beneath my post. However I prefer experiment specific comments/ suggestion by private message or with the comments form in the experiment. Comments could influence participants before doing the actual experiment itself.

http://www.mickvermaat.nl/mscthesis/pp/

With kind regards,

Mick Vermaat

Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Link doesn't work (had to copy and paste) and results didn't seem to upload at end of test.

Interesting test though...(Don't think I agree with the premise though)

That was a great test, that really honed my skills down to multitask and scan like I am supposed to, I am going to show some students this at CCBC!

My instruments were very accurate, but were a little slow to respond.....

Great job

I had one fewer target on the radar, answered rest of questions right. All of my reactions 2-3 seconds except I was at 8 sec on the low airspeed indication. Whoops. I don't have any glass cockpit experience though.

Thanks for the comments.
Are there any other people that can't open the link on a normal computer without copy & pasting it?

I created the experiment in (old fashioned) Adobe Flash, so it won't run on iPhone's and iPad's.... Sorry :(

I reacted within 1-2 seconds of everything. I only missed the "how many are on the radar" because I focused on the ones within 2 rings not outside of 2 because they were unimportant.

So far I got about 40 visits from this forum! Thanks people!
I need some more samples on commercial and non commericial pilots.

Please participate if you haven't yet. :D

It is well put together I will tell you that.

Neat. Thanks. I sent the link to others.

I was good on everything except the airspeed. Several times it pitched up and reduced power (or pitched down, increase power) and I expected the airspeed to go out of limit, but it didn't. Good test, from a non-pilot's perspective. Kyle

Interesting, I caught everything but my reactions were slower than most of those posted here, possibly for the reason stated at the end.

Back