Nice message boards

PHXAvi8tor

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
PHXAvi8tor
I fled AOPA's discussion boards after the Cowboy Pilot fiasco yesterday and found these boards.

Nice job on selection of topics and categories and extra features. It's almost, like, this is what the AOPA Forums should have been.

Just one small critique: Your logo could use some sprucing up. I wouldn't change the design of it -- just the overall quality to reduce pixelation of the airplane and lighten up the drop shadow.

I do Web development and Web graphics for a living, so forgive my nitpickyness. Indeed, if you want a hand with the graphics, let me know!

Ben

Welcome aboard Ben.

There is more a familial atmosphere here. But do take time to read the RoCs and FAQs it will help you avoid any unforeseen collisions with policy.

Also if you really do not want to play in the spin zone do read the section in the description of how you can ignore the whole darn forum and not even see it.

Welcome Ben. Actually POA was formed by AOPA Web board folks a few years ago when AOPA went off line to be revamped. This is more like Front Porch type web board. Scott gives good advice about reading the ROC and policies.

BTW just curious how you found us. Most of us are members of both POA and AOPA.

Welcome Ben. Actually POA was formed by AOPA Web board folks a few years ago when AOPA went off line to be revamped. This is more like Front Porch type web board. Scott gives good advice about reading the ROC and policies.

BTW just curious how you found us. Most of us are members of both POA and AOPA.

I'll take a look through those ROC and policies sections. Thx. (PS: does "ROC" stand for "Rules of Copyright"? -- Noticed you have Blackboard's rules posted for this, which are pretty darn good and familiar since I just came out of the university environment.)

I found you mostly via word-of-mouth. A Google search confirmed the correct location, as a check against word-of-mouth advice.

Keep up the great work!

Last edited:
I fled AOPA's discussion boards after the Cowboy Pilot fiasco yesterday and found these boards.

Nice job on selection of topics and categories and extra features. It's almost, like, this is what the AOPA Forums should have been.

Just one small critique: Your logo could use some sprucing up. I wouldn't change the design of it -- just the overall quality to reduce pixelation of the airplane and lighten up the drop shadow.

I do Web development and Web graphics for a living, so forgive my nitpickyness. Indeed, if you want a hand with the graphics, let me know!

Ben

Does this mean that you'll be updating your CFI journey here? I hope so.

Does this mean that you'll be updating your CFI journey here? I hope so.

Sure! I'll keep the "progress check" going here.

Latest is this: I'm two flights away from the big school "Prog Check," which inevitably leads to the FAA checkride days later.

Those two flights are Tuesday and Wednesday this week.

Last words from my CFI on Friday morning after we flew on all but one maneuver (steep spirals): "Perfect." "Superb."

We both admitted that the tough, changing winds gave me trouble on demonstrating the Steep Spiral on Friday. (They were 320 at 12 at 6000 MSL and shifted to 250 at 10 at 3000MSL, which was just enough to throw me off guard.) But, the teaching aspect of the Steep Spiral maneuver was fine. At least, I identified immediately the problems in the maneuver, and could turn it into a teaching exercise!

Will post more in the other forum for CFIs/students....

Here ROC stands for "Rules of Conduct".

Thank you for the kind words. :)

glad to have you, look forward to you getting your CFI.

Ben

Ben,

These are great people over here.

I found this site during the AOPA revamp and later revisited during a previous AOPA snit-fit when the Fredericksburg weenies got their G-strings in a wad.

Haven't posted as much over here--have time for only a few internet forums/discussion groups and they are an aviation board (formerly AOPA's forum), a special operations board (paid membership in the assocation and proof of credentials/service required) and a sport-dog forum (private, invite only).

The difference I've seen over here is that this group answers to itself and has the best interests of GA and ALL who participate or dream of it in mind. The other bord has increasingly set itself up to be a research/focus-group/topic for Pilot and Flight Training feeder. And that comes straight from two different major, full-page, four-color advertisers who have since ceased advertising with both AOPA publications and have no intentions of going back.

You'll see lot of the same folks from the other board over here, and more continue to come.

There is a significant bigger sense of community here. Significant. Gaston's is a great example. So are the several coast-to-coast hand-off trips that have been arranged for some fellow pilots and friends.

This forum is more akin to sitting around at the FBO coffee shop or someone's hanger having a cold one. Love of aviation. Love of life. Love of community.

Regards.

-JD

This forum is more akin to sitting around at the FBO coffee shop or someone's hanger having a cold one. Love of aviation. Love of life. Love of community.

Just what I'm looking for. I think I'll hang out here as long as ya'll will put up with another aging pilot. My stories are mostly factual, and even sometimes relevant....

Ben
Good to see you here Ben!

Fiasco is right! This board is run in a more professional manner in my opinion. (by the way, someone counted, and there are now 30 Cowboy Pilot avatars at AOPA, gotta protest somehow, right?)

We'll have fun here!

Ben,

I found this site during the AOPA revamp and later revisited during a previous AOPA snit-fit when the Fredericksburg weenies got their G-strings in a wad.

Haven't posted as much over here--have time for only a few internet forums/discussion groups and they are an aviation board (formerly AOPA's forum), a special operations board (paid membership in the assocation and proof of credentials/service required) and a sport-dog forum (private, invite only).

The difference I've seen over here is that this group answers to itself and has the best interests of GA and ALL who participate or dream of it in mind. The other bord has increasingly set itself up to be a research/focus-group/topic for Pilot and Flight Training feeder. And that comes straight from two different major, full-page, four-color advertisers who have since ceased advertising with both AOPA publications and have no intentions of going back.

You'll see lot of the same folks from the other board over here, and more continue to come.

There is a significant bigger sense of community here. Significant. Gaston's is a great example. So are the several coast-to-coast hand-off trips that have been arranged for some fellow pilots and friends.

Regards.

-JD

JD, it's good to see you posting again. And, I love your descriptions. Keep it up!

- Ben

Ben,

Regards.

-JD

Hey JD, glad to be a place where you'll be posting. I guess I missed the entire to-do on the other board. If you feel like it, I'd love a PM letting me know what happened. I was very surprised to see you gone.

I'd like to link up sometime; you're pretty close by. I'll be gone next weekend, perhaps after that sometime.

Best,

Dave

Jim, JD and others - glad to see you here and look forward to getting to know you better.

Jim, JD and others - glad to see you here and look forward to getting to know you better.
I like this board because it's much more conducive to friendly conversation. It's a much better run forum. Thanks Chuck! And welcome to all who are just logging in!

Ben,

Regards.

-JD

Hey JD,
Don't let them run you out of the other place.
Thats all I'm going to say...:cheerswine:

same here, it's hardly worth reading over there without the JD'isms

Hey JD,
Don't let them run you out of the other place.
Thats all I'm going to say...:cheerswine:

I'm done with Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association . . . period. No longer a member. The board thing was just the Tipping Point. It's been coming to this for several years.

Regards.

-JD

I'm done with Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association . . . period. No longer a member. The board thing was just the Tipping Point. It's been coming to this for several years.

Regards.

-JD
I, for one, am glad to have you on over here JD.

I'll remain a member of AOPA... too many good resources to lose. But, I won't be a part of the board. Heck, I get lost just looking at the directory! :confused:

Hey all! I've come over from AOPA for many of the same reasons that have already been stated above. This site looks great the few minutes i've been reading it.:yes:

Please to all the new people. Please be reminded if you don't want to talk about politics stay out of the spin zone and strongly consider putting the whole darn forum on ignore.

JD you had problems doing this beofre and not sure you got it straightened out. But here are the instructions for all
To Opt Out of the Spin Zone (or any other forum), go to the User CP, select Options, and the Opt Out controls are all the way down.

If you do come into the spin zone, welcome there too. Sometimes we get some good talks going. Sometimes not.

Welcome to all the transplants! I did the transplant a couple years ago during the AOPA board outage and, while I still pop over there occasionally, am pretty much a confirmed POAer now.

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned is that there's a fairly active chat in the evenings. I've only participated a couple of times so far, so I'll let someone else post the "official" normal (ad hoc) times, but they seem to be around 0100Z for an hour or two.

And everyone come on down to Gastons in June (www.gastonsflyin.com) and participate in the ConUS Challenge, too! (www.goflyamerica.org)

Oh yeah, listen to the PilotCast! (www.pilotcast.com)

All of these have strong PoA tie-ins.

no set time in the chat. normally busiest aroune 0000Z-0300Z but often populated as late as 0700Z. Come on in its a good ole time!

Ben

Just so nobody thinks the new guy is being too critical... that King Air logo pixelation gets my notice every time I see it. Not a big deal, I guess, but yeah... I have actually thought about volunteering to fix it myself. :)

Judd

Just so nobody thinks the new guy is being too critical... that King Air logo pixelation gets my notice every time I see it. Not a big deal, I guess, but yeah... I have actually thought about volunteering to fix it myself. :)

Judd
King Air? Wouldn't that imply a .... uhhhhhhhh

COPYWRITE VIOLATION :eek: :hairraise:

just kidding ...

Ya know, I've noticed the difference over here too. Much different environment. Seems like less ego and more hanger flying.

Back