Nice little project.

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
we were discussing re-building / restorations in the other thread, and some one questioned what would make a good low budget easy to do project, so.

this would fit that profile. It does not have a high resale, but you won't spend much either.
You could make that fly for less than 15k and resale for about 25k (JMHO)

1941 CULVER CADET LFA

Fairly unique type. How abundant are parts for something like that?

A little wooden classic with retractable gear. Too many red flags.

A little wooden classic with retractable gear. Too many red flags.
What red flags? What red flags? That little aircraft is about as brick simple as it gets. Gear is totally mechanical, a simple retraction test tell you all you need to know about it.
It flew 4 years ago, then preserved and stored inside on display.
I'd wager when you de-preserve the engine, add fresh fuel and oil, you could fly it away to a place to do the annual, and see what else needs restoration.
Your statement sounds to me like someone looking for any excuse not to buy.

Many of us that fly classics would jump at a solid Culver for 12 grand. It has been on the market for over a month. I am sure that it has been evaluated by many who know these planes and has been passed over.
Also, as with most classics, it was offered long before it was on Barnstormers.

I wouldn't recommend a classic beetle to someone who's looking for a cheap Hyundai. Both are inexpensive, and fine for what they are, but I'd only buy a 77 year old airplane if I was into vintage airplanes, not because I just wanted to fly cheaply.

Seems like a sweet little plane.

I am into vintage planes, and I want to fly cheaply. But I don't have $12k, But, if I sell the Cherokee.... Hmmm. ;)
But being a retract, I'd need an endorsement, and insurance would surely be higher than that on the Cherokee.

I am into vintage planes, and I want to fly cheaply. But I don't have $12k, But, if I sell the Cherokee.... Hmmm. ;)
But being a retract, I'd need an endorsement, and insurance would surely be higher than that on the Cherokee.

What can you get for your Cherokee?

What can you get for your Cherokee?
I have no clue, mabe $75 in chinese money. But I'll take no less than $25k+, still undecided as to my asking price.
The county has it valued at $30k for tax purpose. :eek:

I have no clue, mabe $75 in chinese money. But I'll take no less than $25k+, still undecided as to my asking price.
The county has it valued at $30k for tax purpose. :eek:

You can get a great vintage (46) airplane for that amount.

I really don't believe it would, it would be a hull value off set.

But not really a halfway decent cross country airplane. The Cherokee is not a real good cross country airplane
but it sure beats driving, ;)

There's a few T-craft, and "Air-knockers" out there in that price range. (what I could sell my Cherokee for)
I can see our problem, you believe a "T" crate is a great vintage aircraft.

I can see our problem, you believe a "T" crate is a great vintage aircraft.
Not "great" but vintage, none the less. A great vintage airplane would be $75k and up.

The Vintage Airplane Association defines vintage aircraft by year. 1903-1970. ‘Great vintage’ is subject to definition. You can get a darn nice champ for $30,000. Same is true for a Luscombe if you want to go faster.

Cool little plane. In the picture from the rear, the pilot's side horizontal stab appears to be longer than the co-pilot's side? I'm sure it's just the angle.

I'd wager when you de-preserve the engine, add fresh fuel and oil, you could fly it away to a place to do the annual, and see what else needs restoration.
IF they preserved the engine after it arrived.

If anyone is interested let me know. I have no knowledge of the airplane, but know some people at the museum who might have more details.

The Vintage Airplane Association defines vintage aircraft by year. 1903-1970. ‘
Name some vintage aircraft manufactured after 1940 that have great value.

Name some vintage aircraft manufactured after 1940 that have great value.

Numerous Wacos, Stearman, C-195's, Staggerwings, Beavers, SuperCubs, C-180's, C-185's, and Howards come to mind. Do you wanna include all of the WWII stuff?

Everybody likes a clean, low time, well cared for Beaver. :)

Beavers and Otters are work horses and expensive to keep up, which is why most spend their life making bacon!

Know why Otter engines are round? Makes it easier to roll them to the dump! The PT6 gave both a new lease on life!

Numerous Wacos, Stearman, C-195's, Staggerwings, Beavers, SuperCubs, C-180's, C-185's, and Howards come to mind. Do you wanna include all of the WWII stuff?
See when the vintage aircraft folks call all aircraft made prior to 1970 "vintage" just to get members, it really looses its meaning.
I'd rather see them use the term "classic" and "Antique" rather than lump them all together as vintage.

See when the vintage aircraft folks call all aircraft made prior to 1970 "vintage" just to get members, it really looses its meaning.
I'd rather see them use the term "classic" and "Antique" rather than lump them all together as vintage.

The EAA breaks them into three categories: Antique = prior to Sept 1 1945, Classic = '45 to '55, Conteporary 56 to '70.

That's why I was a member for many years.
The EAA breaks them into three categories: Antique = prior to Sept 1 1945, Classic = '45 to '55, Conteporary 56 to '70.

If I get to retire the plan is to go to A&P school, assuming I can afford to stick with aviation. At that point I might seek a project like this. Without the A&P I wouldn’t touch it.

If I get to retire the plan is to go to A&P school, assuming I can afford to stick with aviation. At that point I might seek a project like this. Without the A&P I wouldn’t touch it.
Maybe you should be more friendly to your A&P. they might be more inclined to help.
:) :)

Maybe you should be more friendly to your A&P. they might be more inclined to help.
:) :)
I live in a big city. Mechanics have to work for a living, and can ill afford to babysit hobbyists. I wouldn't ask them to do so, I firmly believe professionals should be remunerated for their expertise, and would not seek to freeload off their efforts.

I live in a big city. Mechanics have to work for a living, and can ill afford to babysit hobbyists. I wouldn't ask them to do so, I firmly believe professionals should be remunerated for their expertise, and would not seek to freeload off their efforts.
You seem to be the only one talking about freeloading

Back