Nice Guy in Aviation

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I just want to publicly thank a guy who typifies what aviation is all about.

Kudos to Wally at C09, Morris!

Why you may ask am I giving him thanks?

Yesterday was our Chapter EAA meeting and afterwards we decided to have a fly out to lunch down at Morris. The WX forecast was showing some light scattered snow showers moving into the area later than afternoon. So we decided to go and not spend a lot of time there. As we were getting close the ATIS at a nearby airport started reporting that the barometers was falling so we decided but a call to FSS. They still said the stuff wouldn't be in the area for a couple of hours. So we ate quickly and got out of Dodge at 1pm, 2 hours before the stuff was supposed to hit the area. The AWOS was reporting 10SM 7000BKN when we took off with condition along the route of flight similar to that. However, within 10 minutes of take off we could see snow to the west and it was starting to fall around us and the vis quickly went to 1SM and ceiling were indeterminate. We turned around and landed back at Morris.

The widely scattered light snow was everywhere and falling at 3/4" per hour ending around midnight. There was no chance of flying out on Saturday.

Wally put our planes in a heated hanger and lent us his personal van to drive the 6 people back to our airport. No questions asked! All he wanted us to do was to fill it up when we returned it Sunday.

Our little lunch trip took 24 hours but we got the planes back today.

The next time you stop into C09 for a meal also run by the FBO and say hi to Wally. One of the nice guys of aviation.

Thanks for the heads up. That's exactly the kind of place I'll go to if I have the chance. Be sure to add a comment to airnav (I see you haven't yet). Glad you got your airplane home.

Back