Nice/Fun/Unique Place to Overnight in West Texas?

mswmsw

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
mswmsw
I'm doing a SoCal to San Antonio flight next week in my Cherokee and would like some recommendations for an overnight stop in West Texas. Something in the area of INK, PEQ, FST or Hurd would work; and the extreme southeast corner of NM might even be a possibility also. I'd like to find a nice town (obviously near an airport!), maybe a good B&B for the overnight (although a hotel or Inn is ok too), and transportation, like a Crew Car or Inn/B&B pick-up at the airport would be nice as well. Recommendations for a good steak, ribs, or BBQ place in the same location would also be appreciated. All info welcome!!

My friends tell me Alpine is wonderful and good BBQ. If that's not too Far East for you.

El Paso is an ugly city, and the view to the south is even worse. How about Las Cruces or Alamagordo? White Sands is an interesting visit if it isn't too hot out. So is Carlsbad Caverns. Alamagordo may be tough to get at with all the restricted airspace, but neither Las Cruces nor Carlsbad should be.

Go to the Hill Country, Fredericksburg specifically. Nice on field Hangar Hotel, and the town is worth exploring for food, culture, sites, etc.

Go to Marfa, and stay at the Paisano. Great town, great field, nice folks.

Marfa, get some pizza at the pizza foundation and say hi to Doctor Dave.

Get a glider ride, too.

Go to the Hill Country, Fredericksburg specifically. Nice on field Hangar Hotel, and the town is worth exploring for food, culture, sites, etc.

I'm not a cartographer, but I'm pretty sure that isn't West Texas. And if his destination is San Antonio. Why in the blue hell would he overnight in F'Burg?

For BBQ Johnny's http://www.yelp.com/biz/johnnys-barbecue-odessa in Odessa had an aviation theme when I lived there as a kid. Restaurant is still there 45 years later, but I haven't been back.

Carlsbad is nice because of the caverns and mountains south of there. The town itself is an unremarkable strip on the highway, with nothing special to eat that I recall, although it's amusing to see tributes to the high school teams, the Cavemen.

Alpine is pleasant. Fort Davis nearby is also a pleasant place to visit with a lodge, but you probably won't have time.

Not Midland Airpark. The runways and parking are okay, but you've never seen lethargy and sloth until you've seen the FBO there. Which is a pity because you could otherwise find something good to eat in that town.

As for KINK, that's Wink Texas. The butt of many a joke along the lines of 'if you're driving by, don't wink or you'll miss it'. There is nothing there other than oil wells and a few workers who tend to them while dodging tumbleweeds and rattlesnakes. Pecos KPEQ and Ft. Stockton KFST are larger versions of the same.

Springtime is nice, but windy, in west Texas.

Last edited:
El Paso is an ugly city, and the view to the south is even worse. How about Las Cruces or Alamagordo? White Sands is an interesting visit if it isn't too hot out. So is Carlsbad Caverns. Alamagordo may be tough to get at with all the restricted airspace, but neither Las Cruces nor Carlsbad should be.

Gee thanks ...:sad:

Land WEST El Paso at Dona Ana 5T6 and visit the War Eagle Museum. You can get crew cars pretty cheap at Francis Aviation if spending the night - call ahead. Tons of places to eat (I think we were voted 2nd fattest city last year:lol:). Approach the field from direct west and at about 10 out you'll fly over Kilbourn's hole (looks like a meteor crater but is actually volcanic). Sky diving on weekends is south of the runway, all AC remain north of the runway.

Las Cruces has great runways, but limited facilities ... not sure on courtesy/crew car availability. Lot's of T-6 training in that area in spring.

Alamogordo would require you to fly out of your way up the VFR corridor between the resticted areas.

Carlsbad NM has a GREAT FBO, but not a lot to do in town unless you plan on visiting the Caverns ... which will require a car ... and a 30-40 minute ride to get to them. Flying by Guadalupe Peak is neat, and if turbulence is low, you can fly closer in and see all the caves and forest(s) on top. If flying this area in TB, stay at least 20 south of Peak or SFL VOR to avoid wave and rotors.

Van Horn TX is marked on the sectional without "ticks" indicating "No fuel" ... but they actually do have fuel (not that you'd run low) ... sheriff and game warden live in trailers behind what looks like an FBO and will help you if needed.

Back