Nice example of a gust front along a squall line

scottd

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
scottd

Last edited:
Thanks Scott for posting this. Very cool...... That is if you aren't in the area in a small plane :)

So Scott the gust front is the flattening of blue that I would have thought was bascially ground clutter?

What is it that is making the gust front ( wind) show up on the radar?

Finally at about 12:08 it appears that the frontal edge of the storm breaks away from the rest of the storm and creates a large clear area inbetween. What is happening there.

And thanks for posting this clip very informative.

i always think its cool to see the gust fronts on radar. last week we had a couple blobular storms south of here that had big downbursts and sent gust fronts out for MILES. it was neat to see the ring travelling out from the storm and then they would run into each other which looked neat too.

even cooler to see it coming from the ground and feel the sharp edge. I'd love to try to surf one sometime, too bad that once you landed youd have to deal with a massive thunderstorm bearing down on you.

I'd love to try to surf one sometime, too bad that once you landed youd have to deal with a massive thunderstorm bearing down on you.

If I say it's safe to surf, it's safe to surf!

1349cap002.jpg

I wonder if it was outflow boundary wind shear that nearly blew me off the runway last month. I landed about 20 miles ahead of an approaching storm line. Prevailing winds were from the SW, I was landing on 27, with wind correction. As soon as my left main touched I was hit with a strong gust from the right and skidded across the runway nearly into the grass. The nose came down hard enough that I thought I'd had a prop strike, but luckily not.

I did have XM and was nervously watching the radar -- but I gather from what Scott says, that wouldn't show something like this.

I think I saw something similar yesterday on radar in NW Nebraska in the afternoon- it caught my eye because it was thin like the one in the loop and looked unusual to me.

Scott- Thanks for sharing this!

Could be, but wouldn't know until I looked at the radar image. What was the date and time?
I think it was 5/3, around 2200Z. Unfortunately, the date is pretty much a guess at this point.

Scott, I have heard TV meteorologists explain a gust front as a storm which has collapsed and the resulting wind is from that energy. Any of this based in fact?

Heck, they actually showed and described a gust front on the radar on WGN from that same storm system. Right down to attributing it to insects and debris blown up by the wind.

Back