Nice as$

Radar Contact

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin
So my lady text me the other day and said what are you doing? I replied just staring at a really nice ass. Her reply back ":(". My response.....
IMG_4291.JPG

I had just finished cleaning and was laying there on the floor re-hydrating (cold beer).

I'm sure that response went over well.

I'm sure that response went over well.
She said I was a good plane dad and ordered me Rosen Sun Visors. And by me, I mean her. She can't stand the originals. On another note, she loved the QT Halo's I got her. Said she won't get "plane hair" any more and can leave in her ear rings. She's just happy I'm done with all the must have upgrades and we can fly more. Avionics shop kept her for 5 weeks on this last upgrade.

@Radar Contact What did you using to clean it???
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php?s=AERO+COSMETICS&x=0&y=0

I use the Aero Cosmetics stuff for everything except the windows (use Plexus for that) and boots. The belly soap and wash/wax all are great for the entire plane. Polish All makes the spinners look new. Their leather care makes the interior look/smell like a new car. I use the Realclean prep and sealant for the boots. Took some time but made the boots look brand new.

Must have gained a knot or two in the process of it all. :)

More to clean than on a single, but I'll bet the belly stays cleaner.
That is for sure. Just the bottom of the nacelles and gear doors. Goes quick if you stay on it after every couple of flights. I'm pretty lucky with this bird as it really doesn't get too messy comparatively speaking. Of course learning the happy oil level made that helpful.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php?s=AERO+COSMETICS&x=0&y=0

I use the Aero Cosmetics stuff for everything except the windows (use Plexus for that) and boots. The belly soap and wash/wax all are great for the entire plane. Polish All makes the spinners look new. Their leather care makes the interior look/smell like a new car. I use the Realclean prep and sealant for the boots. Took some time but made the boots look brand new.

Must have gained a knot or two in the process of it all. :)

Okay, that's what I'm using. I had to ask cause you never know if the next great thing was out there...:goofy:

Last edited:
More to clean than on a single, but I'll bet the belly stays cleaner.

Not mine. The exhaust from the heater in the nose leaves a streak down most of the belly. One of the most difficult things to get off the paint if I don't stay at on top of it...and in the winter when the heater is in constant use I hate crawling underneath the plane even in the heated hangar.

Not mine. The exhaust from the heater in the nose leaves a streak down most of the belly. One of the most difficult things to get off the paint if I don't stay at on top of it...and in the winter when the heater is in constant use I hate crawling underneath the plane even in the heated hangar.
My current heater only has minor exhaust to clean within a foot of the stack but unfortunately it fell under the new stewart-warner AD and it didn't pass the pressure test. At some point before it gets cold I'm going to replace it with an AD free unit and we'll see what it does as far as cleaning goes. Fingers crossed. These airplane's aint cheap.

This pic has a little bit for the three of you....

@Twin_Flyer this is what my boots look like after stripping and re-sealing

@MD11Pilot The floor is individual tiles. I lucked out and got one of the nicest T's at the airport when we bought it. Upgraded floor, the lights are so good one could perform surgery, it's double insulated, has a great heater and ceiling fans. All I did with the floor was sweep and mop when we bought it (bank owned foreclosure = great deal). It could use a professional cleaning with one of those industrial floor buffers but it's a hanger so I'm happy.

@OkieFlyer Here is the profile view of a different kind of nice ass. Sorry for the click bait. :)

IMG_3655.JPG

This pic has a little bit for the three of you....

@Twin_Flyer this is what my boots look like after stripping and re-sealing

@MD11Pilot The floor is individual tiles. I lucked out and got one of the nicest T's at the airport when we bought it. Upgraded floor, the lights are so good one could perform surgery, it's double insulated, has a great heater and ceiling fans. All I did with the floor was sweep and mop when we bought it (bank owned foreclosure = great deal). It could use a professional cleaning with one of those industrial floor buffers but it's a hanger so I'm happy.

@OkieFlyer Here is the profile view of a different kind of nice ass. Sorry for the click bait. :)

View attachment 56761

Well, I was just kidding. Looks like you have a lot of things going for you here. I mean no disrespect.

IMG_1752.JPG I rent- but the owner decided to epoxy the middle of the hangar floor. Im staying!

My current heater only has minor exhaust to clean within a foot of the stack but unfortunately it fell under the new stewart-warner AD and it didn't pass the pressure test. At some point before it gets cold I'm going to replace it with an AD free unit and we'll see what it does as far as cleaning goes. Fingers crossed. These airplane's aint cheap.

Changing that out will be a PITA.
I am trying to research whether there is a way to adjust the air fuel mix, I think the streaking might be made made worse If it's burning too rich. I tend to use mine most when up high, and not sure if there is any altitude compensation on the fuel mixture for these things.

And you are sure right, there is nothing about these planes that is cheap. I've got 8 new Lord engine isolators going into mine, a flap attach bracket that has developed a hairline crack and some hydraulics that I'm going to overhaul this annual. Every six months there seems to be something. At least I don't (yet?) have something like Ted's engine structure corrosion issue, so I'm thankful. :)

Question on the boots. When you were stripping them did you find you had to apply and work the prep fluid several consecutive times to get all the old residue off? I did mine with a single prep and I don't think I got down to clean rubber. Planning to redo it this winter in the hangar, but concerned about getting too aggressive with the prep scrubbing? I used a woven plastic pot scrubber.

BTW, be careful about polishing that floor. I did mine a couple of years ago and ever since I have to be extra wary of even the least bit of moisture as it makes the floor dangerously slick. I even have trouble getting good footing to pull the plane out of the hangar. I won't do that again.

Last edited:
Well, I was just kidding. Looks like you have a lot of things going for you here. I mean no disrespect.
I can't believe the disrespect! I guess you are going to have to buy me a beer at Gaston's to make up for that. :cheers:

I found the humor in your post. I was looking for a better pic of the floor to show and saw that pic so I ran with it thinking it was funny. :)

Changing that out will be a PITA.
I am trying to research whether there is a way to adjust the air fuel mix, I think the streaking might be made made worse If it's burning too rich. I tend to use mine most when up high, and not sure if there is any altitude compensation on the fuel mixture for these things.

And you are sure right, there is nothing about these planes that is cheap. I've got 8 new Lord engine isolators going into mine, a flap attach bracket that has developed a hairline crack and some hydraulics that I'm going to overhaul this annual. Every six months there seems to be something. At least I don't (yet?) have something like Ted's engine structure corrosion issue, so I'm thankful. :)

Question on the boots. When you were stripping them did you find you had to apply and work the prep fluid several consecutive times to get all the old residue off? I did mine with a single prep and I don't think I got down to clean rubber. Planning to redo it this winter in the hangar, but concerned about getting too aggressive with the prep scrubbing? I used a woven plastic pot scrubber.

BTW, be careful about polishing that floor. I did mine a couple of years ago and ever since I have to be extra wary of even the least bit of moisture as it makes the floor dangerously slick. I even have trouble getting good footing to pull the plane out of the hangar. I won't do that again.

Interesting thought about the mixture of the heater. I'll have to toy with mine at different altitudes to see if causes more gunk or not when I get the new one installed. I'm not sure if there is any altitude compensation on those or not? Maybe @Ted DuPuis knows?

I agree about the constant restoration of these. Also hope to never have to replace an engine beam!

When I stripped my boots I used a bunch of old white T-shirts. My thought process was I didn't want to damage the rubber any but it did require a lot of elbow grease, several shirts and multiple times to get all the old residue off. Then I sealed them twice after the first coat dried. It turned out much better than I anticipated but also took much longer than I anticipated. I'm going to try to do it every other year I'm thinking but will see how it holds up. I have a few patches that are in really good shape but took care not to cause any damage. I tested when I was done and they seemed to inflate and hold nicely.

Good point about polishing the floor. I will probably never do it as it is already a bit slippery when wet. Other than minor discoloration and old tire marks from the mains they are in good shape. I did find a box of tiles in the cabinet if any every get damaged.

donkey-mouth-open.jpg

Best I could find of my old bird. Credit to Airliners.net

Attachments

• IMG_0942.JPG
    IMG_0942.JPG
    269.9 KB · Views: 28
THAT'S a cool pic! A or B model? Where did you fly it at? I know the GA ANG had 'em awhile at Robins. Always thought that was ironic (or was it political?), Carter killed the B-1, Reagan brought it back, and then stationed in GA not far from Plains GA. :D

So my lady text me the other day and said what are you doing? I replied just staring at a really nice ass. Her reply back ":(". My response.....
View attachment 56724

I had just finished cleaning and was laying there on the floor re-hydrating (cold beer).

You missed a spot.

THAT'S a cool pic! A or B model? Where did you fly it at? I know the GA ANG had 'em awhile at Robins. Always thought that was ironic (or was it political?), Carter killed the B-1, Reagan brought it back, and then stationed in GA not far from Plains GA. :D
B-1B, there were only 4 A models built and one of those crashed during testing at Edwards.

Carter did the best thing he could for the Bone, he killed the production decision but kept it in the R&D budget. That allowed technology to catch up with the design. Production commitment was before Reagan, but he gets the credit as they were coming out of Palmdale Plant 42 during his tenure.

Initial base and School House (FTU) was Dyess AFB, Abeline TX. Then Ellsworth SD, Grand Forks ND, and McConnell KS. When budget cuts hit, Bones were hidden in the National Guard in Kansas and Georgia, KANG and GANG, for a few years.

That's right, forgot most of them were Bs. One of our FOs flew them with the GANG and he took one of the chief pilots up for a fam ride. Dude was grinning for days, loved it.

A few times a year I see a B-1 flying over head. Usually about 12,000 MSL. Which would make it about 5500 AGL. I haven't seen one this year.

I don't know what they are doing but I usually see it after the throttles are slammed forward and the noise makes me look up.

I do live really close to a refueling route and see lots of different planes refueling.

Growing up in SW Kansas, we would sometimes see them flying along the corn fields. Man they were quick!

Some of the local C130 guys say if you want to get religion - go for a ride in a B1!

Growing up in SW Kansas, we would sometimes see them flying along the corn fields. Man they were quick!

Some of the local C130 guys say if you want to get religion - go for a ride in a B1!

Low Level Instrument Routes, normally designated as IR-xxx, two or three numbers. Min altitudes varied between 200-500AGL with a max “safe IFR” altitude. B-1B maintains time control through the route at 540 knots ground speed. About 0.85-0.90 Mach dependent on altitude. And yes, the B1 can be in that route at minimum altitude and IFR with all systems running, get a hiccup and it’s a quick climb to the safe hard IFR altitude. ATC maintains IFR separation with the route.

Back