Nice approach

Tomahawk674 said:
Found this while browsing. Now that's one nice looking approach, anyone been there? 5900 MSL makes it even more fun I guess...

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0473496/L/

The approach to runway 35 at DXR is similar (pretty good terrain on both sides) but at a much lower elevation. I have a large (180+ MB) video of the approach I took one day, but need to compress the size without distorting the quality too much before I upload it.

Nothin' beats the approach into Aspen, CO though...:)

Awesome picture!
Jason

I wonder why Go arounds are not likely to be successful. I need a picture. I'm not so good at picturing approaches obviously.

flyingcheesehead said:
That does look like an intersting one.

...but check this one out: http://myairplane.com/databases/approach/pdfs/05889VDGC.PDF !

It's one of the only approaches I've seen where the missed approach procedure involves tracking outbound from a separate offset localizer back-course. Also, many pilots that shoot this approach decide to go missed approach at the 9.5 DME fix (if they decide to go missed). If you wait until the 11 DME fix which is the official MAP on the approach, you have to loose 2,380 feet in 1.4 miles....now that is a descent!

We talked about this one last year in this thread.

Unfortunately, I go in there about once a month (Aspen). Our company finally decided that if we didn't have the airport by the first step down, we go some where else. I know most aviators will say, "wow you guys are wussy", but we dont care.

Brent Bradford said:
Unfortunately, I go in there about once a month (Aspen). Our company finally decided that if we didn't have the airport by the first step down, we go some where else. I know most aviators will say, "wow you guys are wussy", but we dont care.

No, you're just being safe. ...although I think 8 miles outside of the published MAP is a little on the conservative side.

Whatever works I guess...

HPNPilot1200 said:
I'm two for three today (never been to Sparrevohn). Guess it helps to be from Colorado.

If you wait until the 11 DME fix which is the official MAP on the approach, you have to loose 2,380 feet in 1.4 miles....now that is a descent!
That's why it's a circling approach. If you see it and you're too high you're supposed to basically overfly the runway and make left traffic to 15.

Everskyward said:
That's why it's a circling approach. If you see it and you're too high you're supposed to basically overfly the runway and make left traffic to 15.

Yup. I think you mentioned that in the old thread from August.

Regardless, it's pretty interesting. :yes:

HPNPilot1200 said:
Yup. I think you mentioned that in the old thread from August.
Heh. I have trouble remembering what I wrote yesterday let alone in August! :eek:

Regardless, it's pretty interesting. :yes:
It is. I guess the reason I mention it (again) is that I think some people have the mindset that they're going straight in, even from an impossibly high angle. That can get you in a bad position because the runway is fairly short and if you misjugde you decent, now you're too low to miss or circle.

HPNPilot1200 said:
If you wait until the 11 DME fix which is the official MAP on the approach, you have to loose 2,380 feet in 1.4 miles....now that is a descent!

Hmmm... Bank 90 degrees left, power off, hard right rudder... :D

Yep. It is also part of the Colorado Pilot's Assiciation mountain flying checkout. You stary way right to aviod outbound traffice. It is one way in and out unless the wind in bad.

SkyHog said:
I wonder why Go arounds are not likely to be successful. I need a picture. I'm not so good at picturing approaches obviously.

First, look at the minimums: 3220 feet for cat A. Then, look at the terrain just north of the runway: 3300 feet. And northeast at 3799, and southeast at 3436. The place is surrounded by high terrain. I'm guessing if you don't initiate a climb at the MAP, you'd need an excessive climb gradient to avoid cumulogranite.

SkyHog said:
I wonder why Go arounds are not likely to be successful. I need a picture.
Not a picture but here's a topo map. The "landing strip" may not the be the same one that was depicted in 1957, however. This was the most recent, well, only, map I could find. :dunno:

Attachments

• Sparrevohn.jpg
    Sparrevohn.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 11
HPNPilot1200 said:
No, you're just being safe. ...although I think 8 miles outside of the published MAP is a little on the conservative side.

Whatever works I guess...

Well in the LR45 with gear and flaps down, you will gain airspeed after crossing the FAF at Aspen on the down hill run. Even with the throttles at flight idle. That plane is just so slick in the air it's amazing. You do not want to be much faster than Vref for that approach. Any time the airport elevation is the same as the runway length...you start to question things. :) I have had to go missed in visual conditions in that valley and it's very tight. I will not go future into the story because this is a public forum. However, afterwards I had a beer and a cigarette and I dont smoke. :no:

What you get into trouble with these places is the legality especially if you are 135. Keep in mind the climb gradients that are required.

Tomahawk674 said:
anyone been there? 5900 MSL makes it even more fun I guess...

Yup, in a 160 horse skyhawk. The hill to the right on final blocks your view until you get close to short final. But the view I found most interesting was from downwind. You are above that little plateau on the left side of the valley in the shot you downloaded. The airport really looks "down in a hole" from that angle.

It was a fairly hot August day. It took is 3 or 4 miles down the valley (with 3 aboard and not a whole lot of fuel) to gain ANY altitude. We finally found a small ridge that had updrafts. Zoom, up to 12000 and away we go, over Hagerman pass and into LXV...

It was quite a day's trip for a couple of East Coast "flatland" pilots.

Jim G

Back