Nexus 7 & iFly

35B33

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Cal
I am able to download iFly to my Nexus 7 2013 but cannot do the additional download for the trial subscription. I get to the choice between VFR and VFR+IFR Charts, select either one and get a failure to communicate - check wifi and network settings.

Sent a bug report to iFly and they said my Nexus was denying the app access to the internet. Not sure how that happens as Avare, Garmin Pilot, and the FltPlans all download and update. I haven't knowingly denied any apps access to wifi

iFly has been very helpful but mine is the only Nexus with this problem. Uninstalled and reinstalled a few times with the same results - any suggestions?

I use the original Nexus with iFly, but I can't say I've seen this one. Are you using a custom ROM, like Cyanogenmod, or anything? I assume not since it wasn't mentioned. Also, does the trial subscription require you to have an account on the iFly website? https://ifly.adventurepilot.com

Not sure what a ROM is but don't think I have one. Basically a plain Nexus I have had for six months and slowing trying out the moving maps.

One of the developers sent me a beta version to get a bug report but that was all I could do. Really great support for a trial version, just frustrating that my Nexus won't play when other will.

They haven't mentioned needing an account and starting the app doesn't ask for an account, just do I want VFR or VFR&IFR charts downloaded. That choice doesn't go through to iFly.

Really odd. Can you temporarily use your phone as a WiFi hotspot to try that?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Too cheap to buy a smart phone or pay for a data plan. Retired so usually not far from the home wifi (Uverse).

Always try the simplest solutions first: Reboot WiFI router, Reboot Nexus 7. I'm going to download the trial to my ASUS TF101 and at least try to verify the installation process, since it's been a long time since I used the trial version. *Edit* Okay, yeah not much going on as far as settings go, I just open the trial version and it gives you two buttons: VFR or VFR+IFR. I clicked VFR+IFR then I get a map screen allowing me to select the states I'd like to download data for. I realize you know all of this already, but sometimes it helps to talk through the problem.

Last edited:
You are right. I have an old Virgin Mifi that I buy a month's worth of data when going on a trip, so I tried that and got to the map selection page. But I only bought 1.5gb and just Texas maps took that much so I backed off and now trying to make the home Uverse router work, will reset that.

Cool, glad you were able to troubleshoot it. I think it's a nice piece of software and functions as my primary navigation app these days.

Resetting the Uverse router didn't help, maybe I should go to McD's. Flying to Maine next week and wanted to try it out. Perhaps the router in Maine will work and I can use it for the return.

Turns out Adblock Plus was causing the problem. It has you modify your network settings in a way that is not compatible with iFly. Doesn't bother GP but it does limit the connection with iFly.

Thanks for the follow up, that makes sense. By the way, a new version of iFly for Android should be available any day now. It's my understanding that the current beta should be considered final unless a show stopper bug is found.

Back