Nexus 7 4.2 update and Garmin Pilot - Beware

Many iPad2 owners have WiFi connectivity issues based on the 100 plus page thread on the Apple Support forum. They've also had to create point releases due to bugs I'm iOS.

If it is a computer or software, there will be glitches. The key is how they respond. We know Apple refuses to acknowledge the wifi issue. We will see how Google responds.

No doubt that today's software is complex enough, and its developers still human enough, that there will be glitches from everyone.

BTW, the only wifi issues I've heard of have already been addressed. Apple doesn't necessarily give a lot of detail on their sub-point releases (they'll say "bug fixes" rather than "fixed bugs with wifi, xxx, etc") but they do fix 'em. And they generally do not acknowledge bugs on their forums, either - They do monitor the forums to help find bugs, then they work to reproduce the bugs and fix them, but there's not much point in saying "yup" in the forums.

No doubt that today's software is complex enough, and its developers still human enough, that there will be glitches from everyone.

BTW, the only wifi issues I've heard of have already been addressed. Apple doesn't necessarily give a lot of detail on their sub-point releases (they'll say "bug fixes" rather than "fixed bugs with wifi, xxx, etc") but they do fix 'em. And they generally do not acknowledge bugs on their forums, either - They do monitor the forums to help find bugs, then they work to reproduce the bugs and fix them, but there's not much point in saying "yup" in the forums.

Well, I've observed continued problems with the latest iOS update and the forum thread keeps growing. Hopefully the 3, 4 and Mini don't have the issue. I suspect it's hardware in the 2. But it's a tough problem to sleuth since it comes and goes randomly.

Google released update 4.2.1 yesterday.

My unit has been A-OK since I did the factory reset, so I can't tell if it fixes the 4.2 glitches. I imagine it does.

Between this, and Garmin's update, I'm hopeful that the software issues are behind us.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Jay (and others)
slightly off topic; can you tell me the advantage of Tapatalk? I see posts noting the use of Tapatalk, but I can't figure out what the benefit is?
Thanks

Google released update 4.2.1 yesterday.

My unit has been A-OK since I did the factory reset, so I can't tell if it fixes the 4.2 glitches. I imagine it does.

Between this, and Garmin's update, I'm hopeful that the software issues are behind us.

Huh. I just checked - I'm at 4.2 and the system update tab says I'm at the latest release. Is there a way to force the 4.2.1 update?

Edit... here's how to force the update.

Go to Settings, Apps, and then find the "All" tab at the top.
Find the Google Service Framework.
Force Stop it.
Clear the data.

Then back out of that to the Settings page, go to About Tablet, System Updates, and you'll see that the "last checked" date is 1969. Click on "Check for Update" and you should connect and get the new update.

I really hate how the install process gives you a black screen for so long... it makes me think the tablet is off when it's not.

Last edited:
I truly don't understand this problem.

Example: Mary just got Jelly Bean (the latest OS) pushed out to her Verizon Motorola Razor M.

Meanwhile, I'm still stuck with Ice Cream Sandwich on my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3.

Now there's nothing wrong with the Razor, but the S3 is far more sophisticated -- yet Verizon chose to push the latest OS to the inferior phone first. WTF?

There just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the way these updates are done, especially when you get a cellular carrier in the mix. This yet another reason to love the Nexus 7. It's pure Google, which means no effing around with Verizon, or anyone else, to get updates.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I have a the earlier Razr (not the Maxx). It is still on ICS - no update yet - but that works fine. In any number of ways, I prefer it to the Google (by Samsung) Galaxy Nexus. In fact, with JB (and the latest update) on the Samsung, I find myself using the Razr much more than the Nexus. Part of that is the better network (and the fact that the Razr will work both domestically and internationally on the CDMA/LTE networks here and GSM/HSDPA systems abroad), and part of it is that Google's changes to the UI on JB simply made it a bit more difficult to use (and now collects more data from the user, stuff I can still turn off on VZ/Razr).

I absolutely, spitefully HATE the email program on the Galaxy Nexus under JB - at least with the VZ Razr you can do a "select all" to clean out your deleted items.... can't do that with the stock Google phone, you have to painfully select each deleted item, one by one, to empty the deleted-item mailbox.

Okay, the 4.2 Jelly Bean update is officially crap. It's all over the Android blogosphere that many people are having problems with it.

I didn't have a lot of "problems" with 4.2 on the Nexus phone, but the update installed today, other than the UI and some of the settings were worse than ICS. They did change the menus and the way some stuff worked - radically - from the prior version, but once you figured it out, it generally worked.

That said, I've also had issues with the iOS 6.0 update on the work phone. 6.0.1 is out to fix some of the problems that 6.0 intorduced. The changes, though, from 5 to 6 on iOS were less radical (except for the maps app, which sux....)

Jay (and others)
slightly off topic; can you tell me the advantage of Tapatalk? I see posts noting the use of Tapatalk, but I can't figure out what the benefit is?
Thanks

I love Tapatalk for two reasons:

1. It keeps all of my forums in one app. No more hopping around to different forums.

2. If selected, it shows me only threads I have participated in. No more searching.

I love Tapatalk for two reasons:

2. If selected, it shows me only threads I have participated in. No more searching.

That same functionality is available on the User CP link in a web browser - That's how I use PoA!

It also jumps straight to the latest unread post in a thread, every time... without having to play target practice with that tiny blue arrow on the web interface. :)

Browsing this and other forums on small devices such as a cell phone or even 7 inch tablet is a hell of a lot easier using Tapatalk than the web browser. With the browser and the smaller screen, you have to pinch to zoom to read the text, and it's just a pain. With my iPad, I generally read forums using the browser with the bigger screen real estate. But for smaller devices, Tapatalk works very well.

*sigh* Had Garmin Pilot lock up (and ultimately force close) on a short flight again today. Apparently they STILL don't have it right.

Closing and opening fixed it, as always, but I'm starting to lose faith in Garmin getting this right...

Back