Next truck question, long distance purchases

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
Does anyone have any tips? My choice in trucks somewhat limits me. I want a supercrew longbed with towing package plus the usual refinements. Pickings are slim locally, so looking further afield, I have found some trucks that fit the profile. It would add to the cost obviously. I have done this twice when buying planes, but never with a vehicle. Is it the same when purchasing a truck? Negotiate price, pay for inspection, pay for shipment.

I’ve just flown to get the vehicle. I did use uship for a motorcycle once and, while convenient, I wouldn’t trust them with a new vehicle delivery.

Dealer will gladly ship it to you for an exhorbitant fee.

I’ve just flown to get the vehicle. I did use uship for a motorcycle once and, while convenient, I wouldn’t trust them with a new vehicle delivery.

Dealer will gladly ship it to you for an exhorbitant fee.
Looking at a used truck from a used car dealer. It has everything I need but It is in NJ.

I've traveled to buy more cars than I have bought locally., lol. Generally I just get lots of pictures in advance to satisfy my concerns on overall condition. If you want, most sellers I've dealt with are willing to take it by a local shop for a pre-buy inspection if you wish (at your expense). Plane ticket and they pick you up at the airport.

A few years ago I was looking at used trucks, flew to look at a few in MO. The one was all rusted on the frame, came from an auction in NY.

I ended up buying from Rockford, IL, much better condition than the few I looked at below the salt line.

Does anyone have any tips? My choice in trucks somewhat limits me. I want a supercrew longbed with towing package plus the usual refinements. Pickings are slim locally, so looking further afield, I have found some trucks that fit the profile. It would add to the cost obviously. I have done this twice when buying planes, but never with a vehicle. Is it the same when purchasing a truck? Negotiate price, pay for inspection, pay for shipment.

yes! It really can be that simple!

we live in MI and bought a classic 1950 dodge truck in Colorado last summer. Shipping was very reasonable -$1000 for door step to door step… seemed very reasonable.

we will do it again as we buy value vehicles now! I’m a cheapskate w 4wheel vehicles. Living in MI next purchase will be from salt free area to increase practical value of a used vehicle…

I've bought and sold many vehicles from a distance. As a seller, I'm really not interested in a pre-purchase inspection and am unlikely to willingly sell to anyone who wants me to deal with that. Mostly because it's just an opportunity to nitpick, and if you're talking about a pretty new car, there's not really a whole lot to look for.

But mostly the process is negotiate, arrange a deposit and payment. I try to go pick the thing up whenever possible but if it has to get shipped then payment needs to get made before the vehicle is picked up.

A few years ago I was looking at used trucks, flew to look at a few in MO. The one was all rusted on the frame, came from an auction in NY.

I ended up buying from Rockford, IL, much better condition than the few I looked at below the salt line.
I had the dealer take some pics of the underneath. The frame looked clean.

Back