Next Time Make Mine Pressurized

Pretty is as pretty does. Both have their talking points. But don't plan to show off your short-field takeoff skills in a Bu.

But sexier. But I guess sexier isn't so sexy when you're gliding into a cornfield. . . .

M's critical weakness: the peroxide generators under the copilot left foot, separated by one stringer from the fuel lines. They get hot.
Lose engine at altitude, turn on the O2 system as the cabin leaks down. Landing out, after the gear are shorn off, the first big rock takes out that stringer and well you get the picture. But they fly VERY NICELY.

The problem is the engine(s). 10% of the fleet has had engine out. Doesn't seem to matter whether Conti 520 or Lycoming 550. If the engines are a problem, it's much less sexy paying for the fuel and the OHs for two. But in the 'Bu you gotta plan so that you don't land out. Or get very very lucky.

Amazing that the type owner society has an Engine Out ILS procedure. Tells you something.

Darwin Conrad is on to something and PIPER picked up on it.... :)

But sexier. But I guess sexier isn't so sexy when you're gliding into a cornfield. . . .

If I was going to consider a P210 or a Malibu, I would buy the Malibu for a number of reasons. I also wouldn't operate it the way Piper recommends (at all), and I would probably get decent engine life as a result, same as Kevin and other owners do.

As with anything, you make your choices and take your chances accordingly. Getting out of bed has a risk associated with it.

I ride motorcycles. I probably have a much better chance of becoming a statistic riding a motorcycle than I do flying a plane, yet I still wouldn't buy a Malibu, and it's hard to get me into a single in general.

Back