Next Generation

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
My son Lane is starting training for his instrument rating. This will be fun to watch. He's already quizzing me about questions on the test, for which he is studying.
Here's a good one he asked about tonight:
"by which means may a pilot determine if a loran c equipped aircraft is approved for IFR purposes?"

Gotta love those Feds.

"by which means may a pilot determine if a loran c equipped aircraft is approved for IFR purposes?"

You can double-check it with a HF range or fan-marker I guess.

My son Lane is starting training for his instrument rating. This will be fun to watch. He's already quizzing me about questions on the test, for which he is studying.
Here's a good one he asked about tonight:

Gotta love those Feds.

If it says so and is signed off by the FSDO in the POH supplement ...

I gotta real nice Loran C for sale if you want it :D

Last edited:
The "new" rental at my airport has a LORAN in it. I'd never seen one in person, all the planes I flew had GPS of some form or another.

This one turns on and functions great. After doing its power-ups and checks it then says "NO SIGNAL WHATSOEVER". I can hear it crying, wanting to do something. Poor little device.

I can hear it crying, wanting to do something. Poor little device.

That's too funny Ted. I've got one. Never turned it on in the 10 years I've owned the Tiger. I keep threatening both it and the ADF, but they look so forlorn, I can't bring myself to turn them into doorstops. I may put them up for adoption or at least send them to boarding school when the right time comes. :D

That's too funny Ted. I've got one. Never turned it on in the 10 years I've owned the Tiger. I keep threatening both it and the ADF, but they look so forlorn, I can't bring myself to turn them into doorstops. I may put them up for adoption or at least send them to boarding school when the right time comes. :D

I have an ADF in the Aztec and use it every flight. Yep, those numbers sure are useful for a poor-man's altitude preselect.

Checking to see if it's installed in a Tardis so you can go back to when there were LORAN signals for it to use.
tardis_med.gif

I have an ADF in the Aztec and use it every flight. Yep, those numbers sure are useful for a poor-man's altitude preselect.

I have an ADF as well:

1- Altitude Preselect ala Ted!
2- Baseball Games on 660/880: Mets & Yankees
3- Poor Man's Stormscope: The Lightning is over THERE ->
4- Practicing NDB approaches 'cause my CFII sez I gotta do them since the ADF's installed :mad2:

I actually kinda like doing the ADF approach :D Honestly I'd love to fly an A-N range, but then again I kinda enjoy being a luddite from time to time...

Now that is a great error message! Gives you no hope at all. Kudos to the designer. :drink:

Isn't it? "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."

I have an ADF as well:

1- Altitude Preselect ala Ted!
2- Baseball Games on 660/880: Mets & Yankees
3- Poor Man's Stormscope: The Lightning is over THERE ->
4- Practicing NDB approaches 'cause my CFII sez I gotta do them since the ADF's installed :mad2:

1: Doesn't it work great? :)
2: YANKEES! (how YOU doin'?!)
3: Hey, never thought of that! I find the eye-dar to be the most useful at night. *flash of lightning* That must be a storm. Hmm. That's right in front of me. I should fly somewhere else.
4: I've actually gone into airports where the only approach is an NDB! I was hoping I'd get to shoot one for real, but the weather was never bad enough to require it. Anyway, the primary reason I keep mine in is that I have faith one day it will serve me well.

I actually kinda like doing the ADF approach :D Honestly I'd love to fly an A-N range, but then again I kinda enjoy being a luddite from time to time...

Same here. Plus it makes me feel far more pioneering than these days where all the technology makes it virtually impossible to get lost. Then again, I like having 6 levers in my plane and would go with 8 if I could add manual wastegate turbos. :)

Back