Next fly in.

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
Now that Gaston's fly in is just around the corner, has anyone been thinking of where to have the next one?:confused: I would be up for one in the fall, say around October. If any of you are up for that, lets hear some suggestions. It seems to take awhile to get one organized. One idea I have would be to do a poker run. Have any of you done one, if so, how much trouble was it to put together?

Dean said:
Now that Gaston's fly in is just around the corner, has anyone been thinking of where to have the next one?:confused: I would be up for one in the fall, say around October. If any of you are up for that, lets hear some suggestions. It seems to take awhile to get one organized. One idea I have would be to do a poker run. Have any of you done one, if so, how much trouble was it to put together?

Please forgive my ignorance but just what is a poker run ?

Jeannie

Maverick said:

Jeannie

The thread under the michigan flyin explains it better than I will but I guess you fly to different airports and draw/discard your cards...I think you go to two or three different airports.

Try this link.

Maverick said:

Donig them on motorcycles in the past, it went like this. We'd meet up at the start point between a set of hours, and get the route. We'd depart and stop at each check point (usually a restaurant or bar:cheerswine: on the bikes, I'm guessing airports with the planes? :p ). At each checkpoint, we'd draw a card (there'd be people there with a deck of cards on a table). After we pick one, the card was recorded on our entry slip, and we'd depart to the next stop (timing was left loose, so one could loiter at each if they wanted~ not a race). At the last stop, you'd get your final card, and often would have the option of "buying" an extra two cards for a set fee (these events usually are to benefit an organization or club). You'd discard the two worst if you bought the extra cards. The hands were tallied, and a plaque, trophy or cash prize (paid from the entrance fee) was awarded the top one two or more hands. These things can get hundreds of participants on bikes. Likely in the teens for planes. It would take enough people to man each checkpoint (at least two for each is recommended...don't want someone left getting bored!). Time should be allotted for the group to meet up at the end, and there is typically a gathering/party/whatever at the last destination.

Regards, T Bone.

Instead of having people from our group stationed at the airports as dealers, maybe we could get the FBOs involved to be the dealers. This could be a weekend poker run or just one day for the run and another for a get together. As for prizes, maybe we could get donations from pilot shops, FBOs, etc. for aviation related items.:dunno:

Actually, your Gastons gathering would be the perfect type of outting for this (for another time, obviously, too late this time around). But somewhere with lodging nearby or onsite (camping maybe even better). Nearby airports to be checkpoints, maybe 40 to 60 NM or so between checkpoints. Maybe keep it over 50 for everyone to be able to log Xc.

You'd have the start, three intermediate stops, then the final destination. That'd get a substantial amount of flying yet be enough for nearby newbies. The FBO personnel is a great idea, and most would welcome the traffic. Any airports with on field restaurants would be a plus. As to prizes, I wouldn't worry too much, but if you can get some to donate freebies, geat! A simple inexpensive plaque would probably suffice. Entry fees for bikes are typically $10, and there are rider (pilot) and passenger categories.

Keep it simple, I'd suggest keeping it to one day (more possible participants) and an overnight option is a good thing. Pray to any/all Deities for good weather, and make it fun! You'll need to decide what organization/club will benefit from the little proceeds (POA?) Actually, a charity might be a good choice, both for Karma and liability purposes. Oh, and you'll need someone to chair the event. Hmm.... Chairman Dean has a nice ring to it, don'tcha think? B)

How about Sept 3rd In Coulumbus Ohio? My son and I will be flying up for the USA vs Mexico world Cup qualifier. :)

Another good destination would be First Flight Airport with a stay in a nearby city. Great fishing that time of year.

I'd kind of like to see a western flyin somewhere - CA, AZ, CO, TX, WA, something like that.

I'll go whereever anyone else does, though, if I can get the time off work.

Dean said:
Instead of having people from our group stationed at the airports as dealers, maybe we could get the FBOs involved to be the dealers. :dunno:

I set one up and didn't have a lot of help. Some of the airports were small unattended ones. I loaded a bunch of folded-in-half cards in envelopes and left them at the airports. Each airport's envelopes had a different color mark on them. Rules were, come back with 5 different colored UNOPENED envelopes. Then record them all at the last stop. One person can run the whole thing, although help is nice.:yes:

Barb

NickDBrennan said:
I'd kind of like to see a western flyin somewhere - CA, AZ, CO, TX, WA, something like that.

I'll go whereever anyone else does, though, if I can get the time off work.

I'd do a western area fly-in. I'm already taking a TON of time off work this year for various occasions, but a weekend flyin would be fun.

Fly-in or not, All Yall have a standing invite to stop in anytime (we got an airport here !) & I'll treat you to a flight over to the Islands for lunch or something if you like.

AirBaker said:
I'd do a western area fly-in. I'm already taking a TON of time off work this year for various occasions, but a weekend flyin would be fun.

Back