Nexium

U

Unregistered

So I went to the dr for some routine blood work (i go every year) and while I was there he asks how I have been feeling. I mention that recently I have been having some acid reflux and that it woke me up a few times over the past few weeks. It really wasn't that bad and I didn't think he would prescribe somthing but rather give me some information about over the counter stuff or dietary habits etc... Anyway, he filled out a prescription form and says take this, it will clear that up and its harmless. I didnt think anything of it and started taking the meds for about a week when I realized my medical is due next month. So I stopped taking the meds.

I know I must report my medical visit for the blood work, but do I list the Nexium even thought I stopped taking it? (yeah yeah, i know its gonna be a 'yes') Also, if I do list it what else will the FAA want to know since it says its approved on a 'case by case' basis? Is it the AME who approves it on a 'case by case' basis?

Before anyone says it... paging Dr Bruce!

FYI; I was having very bad GERD symptoms before I started training to fly. Tums and Pepcid AC was frequently required.

Then I started paying attention to what was causing it, plus lost a bit of weight. This did the trick and I only have it happen after a large meal of spicy or acidic foods. Frequency went from chronic multiple times a day to very rare.

So add reduction of GERD symptoms to the list of things that proper weight loss "cures".

Dr. Bruce will comment on your Nexium and medical questions. But I wanted to encourage you that it's possible to reduce symptom occurrence without medication.

Last edited:
TAKE the meds. they're a yawner for certification. You want to suppress the "afer many years" predisposition GERD patient have for getting esophageal carcinoma.

Not taking the pills is like the attitude of my deceased F-I-L: "Bob call 911 now!"
3 horus later, he says, "well I started driving there and then it went away, so I went home". F-I-L died of aortic valve and of Coronary Disease.

"Take your medicine, Roo, dear....." And ask your doc for generic Omeprazole, istead. It's just about about the same drug (lacks a single carbon atom) and it's like, pennies a day. Nexium was a "copycat" desinged to prolong the patent life of what is essentialy, Omeprazole.

No reason to fill the Rx when you can go to Walmart and buy a 42 day supply for $14. about the same price as a $10 monthly co-pay.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back