Newsflash! Lindbergh was a pimp!

Re: Newsflash!

Bill, possibly you are a bit noun confused? For example:

pimp n. One who finds customers for a prostitute; a procurer.

I don't believe you can support your claim (the title of this thread) unless you know something the article you linked did not provide.

OTOH, another word with which you may become too familiar if the Lindberg family sees this thread and takes exception:

li·bel n.
    1. A false publication, as in writing, print, signs, or pictures, that damages a person's reputation.
    2. The act of presenting such material to the public.

Ok, that was taken way too far overboard. And don't get me started with libel stuff, specifically considering I can't be reasonably assumed to have knowledge on the subject, and therefore a libel suit wouldn't stick.

Anyhow, the point is that Lindbergh was involved in a number of affairs, and pimp is a slang term for someone who is "a hit with the ladies".

Wasn't there a thread somewhere about the nation losing its sense of humor? Geez.

wbarnhill said:
Ok, that was taken way too far overboard. And don't get me started with libel stuff, specifically considering I can't be reasonably assumed to have knowledge on the subject, and therefore a libel suit wouldn't stick.

Actually, the fact that you are clueless to the topic and made the statement anyhow works against you, not for you. Libel is a statement that was known to be false or reasonably should have been known to be false. The fact that you didn't do any research before making the statement merely makes proving that you failed to be reasonably certain of your facts quite simple.

Anyhow, the point is that Lindbergh was involved in a number of affairs, and pimp is a slang term for someone who is "a hit with the ladies".

Webster's unabridged dictionary doesn't recognize that definition for "pimp". Do you perhaps have a reference?

I believe the word you want is "philanderer", but I could be mistaken--after all, it is your vocabulary, not mine.

Ed, despite your continuous attack, I'm going to clarify this and go to sleep. Libel requires malicious intent and a claim of fact for general damages. For a claim of fact to exist, it must be reasonably expected that I am knowledgeable on the topic. You don't listen to a comedian making fun of someone famous and take him seriously. Same applies here. The absolute worst you could possibly state is that I inadvertently made a libelous statement, which would allow damages only for actual harm. The fact is that I didn't make a libelous statement. I used a slang term that you are obviously not aware of, or are just continuing to make asinine statements to get to me. In either case, you're making quite a case out of this for nothing. But if it makes you feel better...

To the relatives of Charles Lindbergh:

The title of this thread, in which your father/uncle/grandfather/brother/half-brother/etc was referred to as a "pimp" makes reference to the fact (which has been proven by DNA testing) that your father/uncle/grandfather/brother/half-brother/etc had several affairs outside of his marriage. The youth of America, 2005, refer to a person of such aptitude with women, a "pimp". This is in no way a defamatory statement, and no malicious intent was implied. In fact, I would've loved to have met him and listened to his stories!

Regards,

William Barnhill

funny little history....pimp is an acronym for "Put it in my pocket."

Don't remember where I heard that, nor do I remember if its true.

NickDBrennan said:

Don't remember where I heard that, nor do I remember if its true.

And you might be correct. Many phrases have been reduced to words becasue the words are generally more acceptable. SNAFU, FUBAR, BUFF (see the aviation conection?), WIMP are but a few. I would suspect if you followed the word back far enough, pimp didn't have such a negative connotation as it did when we were kids.

Now, it has almost no negative connotation (see MTV's "PIMP MY RIDE").

silver-eagle said:
Now, it has almost no negative connotation (see MTV's "PIMP MY RIDE").

I actually wrote them and asked them to "pimp my plane"...never heard back from them though.

Michael

Michael said:
I actually wrote them and asked them to "pimp my plane"...never heard back from them though.l

Didn't I read on Avweb or somewhere that they...or some similar program was planning to do that to someone's airplane?

Frank Browne said:
Didn't I read on Avweb or somewhere that they...or some similar program was planning to do that to someone's airplane?

Ohhhh..i hope so...did they say who!?

Michael said:
Ohhhh..i hope so...did they say who!?

I don't think so. I don't even remember where I heard or read that. But sometime in the last few weeks I remember hearing someone was getting a surprise makeover on their airplane. I would assume that it would be mostly cosmetic. No avionics or performance upgrades, but I could be wrong about that.

Ed Guthrie said:
Webster's unabridged dictionary doesn't recognize that definition for "pimp". Do you perhaps have a reference?

I believe the word you want is "philanderer", but I could be mistaken--after all, it is your vocabulary, not mine.

The phrase is actually "pimp daddy", but is often shortened to just Pimp, or Pimpin'.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pimp+daddy

Also can be used when complimenting a person on their mastery of the subject matter, The action of freely explaining and demonstrating a skill or skills,
as slang for a headhunter, recruiter or account executive, as slang for a cigarette filled with tobacco or anything else you can smoke,
or as slang for promoting or pluging a product (pimping).

http://www.slangsite.com/slang/P.html

Also :

[font=arial,helvetica]pimp n 1. a male in charge of prostitutes. Note: in recent years, has come to mean nothing of the sort. Today it's a very ambiguous term, used as either a compliment or an insult towards a male. In its positive form, it means that the person is "cool." In its negative form, it insults their attitudes, clothing, or general behavior. ("He is such a pimp.") Submitted by Janet Chang, 10-04-1997. -adj 1. very good, excellent; COOL, AWESOME. ("That is a pimp car.") cool prostitution (related to) professions (list of)

(http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wrader/slang/p.html)

Finally, according to my son, being "pimp" is a good thing...can't post a link to that one though ;)

[/font]

Well, he always was a German sympathizer, I always thought that meant pre war germany...

I doubt this is anything new to serious Limbergh biographers.

Well, sometimes there is accepted definition and sometimes there is class. This may fall in the former but definitely not in the latter.

The fact that Lindbergh fathered children in Germany isn't new news:
When the Hesshaimers’ claim that they were Lindbergh’s children was first made public in 2003, the Lindbergh family in the US acknowledged it, but issued a statement saying they did not want to comment because “it is clearly a private and personal issue”.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-1630882,00.html
Those who want to read a compelling account of Lindbergh's life should turn to the biography Lindbergh by A. Scott Berg.

For more information about and links to Lindbergh resources, see the Lindbergh Foundation Web site.

SJP said:
[font=arial,helvetica]Finally, according to my son, being "pimp" is a good thing...can't post a link to that one though ;)[/font]

Well, I've definitely had my horizons (within this thread probably best pronounce "whorazons") broadened. My teenage son doesn't use the term or I've simply failed to notice it. However, I notice "pimp" in the slang as a positive term appears to be an adjective; in the thread title it is a noun. Even within the slang dictionary links you posted the noun consistently appears as the standard definition--someone who procures and sells women for sex.

Whatever, done deal, nadda. I entered this fracas thinking I was helping someone correct a grammar error. No good intention ever goes unpunished.

Ed Guthrie said:
Well, I've definitely had my horizons (within this thread probably best pronounce "whorazons") broadened. My teenage son doesn't use the term or I've simply failed to notice it. However, I notice "pimp" in the slang as a positive term appears to be an adjective; in the thread title it is a noun. Even within the slang dictionary links you posted the noun consistently appears as the standard definition--someone who procures and sells women for sex.

I gave up correcting grammar on discussion boards years ago :)

Talking to my son (man I feel old), the correct term is "pimp daddy" which I guess is the noun as far as slang follows grammar rules. The boy also says you can be 'the pimp' if you are the boss, or top dog, but then you can also be 'the pimp' in the same way as you were 'the man'. Not sure if that is a noun, or still an adjective...

Of course, if he starts calling me "the pimp" he'll be nursing a lump 'upside his head'.

SJP said:
I gave up correcting grammar on discussion boards years ago :)

Talking to my son (man I feel old), the correct term is "pimp daddy" which I guess is the noun as far as slang follows grammar rules. The boy also says you can be 'the pimp' if you are the boss, or top dog, but then you can also be 'the pimp' in the same way as you were 'the man'. Not sure if that is a noun, or still an adjective...

Of course, if he starts calling me "the pimp" he'll be nursing a lump 'upside his head'.

I quit listening when "gang bangers" became common usage for something other than what I learned it to be.

wbarnhill said:
Ed, despite your continuous attack,

The wording of your post may have potentially exposed this website to a libel claim. I'd rather not see this website go the way of Avweb. If my wish to have correct and accurate knowledge represented is a "continuous attack", well, so be it.

I'm going to clarify this and go to sleep. Libel requires malicious intent and a claim of fact for general damages.

Actually, you should do some research on the above as it is totally false. I will provide you some references in a minute.

For a claim of fact to exist, it must be reasonably expected that I am knowledgeable on the topic.

Also totally false. Your being admittedly clueless in the topic is prima facia proof or reckless negligence, an important and compelling factor in proving libel and in gaining general damages--the really expensive, painful type of damages. Again, I'll post the references in a minute.

You don't listen to a comedian making fun of someone famous and take him seriously. Same applies here.

First, you aren't a known comedian. Second, it was not obvious to this reader that your post was humor. Both of those elements would place the post into the potential libel bin.

The absolute worst you could possibly state is that I inadvertently made a libelous statement, which would allow damages only for actual harm.

Incorrect again. The fact that you were admittedly clueless as to the facts yet intentionally made the statement anyhow would or could be grounds for finding "reckless negligence" (BTW, this goes back to what I previously referred to as "..or should reasonably have known to be false")--if you were as clueless to the actual facts as you admit to being then you were indeed on the face of it recklessly negligent.

The fact is that I didn't make a libelous statement.

That is up for interpretation

I used a slang term that you are obviously not aware of,

So far you have yet to provide proof that the slang exists. Those that have offered proof have offered adjective forms of the word--not the noun you used. The noun form--slang or otherwise--has been consistently shown defined as I have stated elsewhere.

or are just continuing to make asinine statements to get to me. In either case, you're making quite a case out of this for nothing. But if it makes you feel better...

It would make me feel better if I didn't see a statement that for all I know and read about libel falls clearly within the boundary of libel. It didn't take much more than that to destroy Avweb of old.

Here is the legal information/definitions to support my stamens above, along with some relevant comments:

1. "Another defense that is presented by accused media companies is "fault"—a series of court rulings led by New York Times Co. v. Sullivan (376 U.S. 254) established that for a plaintiff to win a libel ruling against a newspaper, "actual malice" or "reckless negligence" must be proved on the part of the paper if the statement in question is about a public official or public figure."

Bill's "I know nothing about the subject" statement would appear to me to fall solidly into "reckless negligence"--he admits he didn't bother to do the simplest research.

2. "libel 1) n. to publish in print (including pictures), writing or broadcast through radio, television or film, an untruth about another which will do harm to that person or his/her reputation, by tending to bring the target into ridicule, hatred, scorn or contempt of others. Libel is the written or broadcast form of defamation, distinguished from slander which is oral defamation. It is a tort (civil wrong) making the person or entity (like a newspaper, magazine or political organization) open to a lawsuit for damages by the person who can prove the statement about him/her was a lie. Publication need only be to one person, but it must be a statement which claims to be fact, and is not clearly identified as an opinion. While it is sometimes said that the person making the libelous statement must have been intentional and malicious, actually it need only be obvious that the statement would do harm and is untrue. Proof of malice, however, does allow a party defamed to sue for "general damages" for damage to reputation, while an inadvertent libel limits the damages to actual harm (such as loss of business) called "special damages." "Libel per se" involves statements so vicious that malice is assumed and does not require a proof of intent to get an award of general damages."

So much for Bill's claim that there must be malicious intent to establish libel, as well as his claim that the plaintiff's complaint would be limited to specific damages.

3. "libel per se n. broadcast or written publication of a false statement about another which accuses him/her of a crime , immoral acts, inability to perform his/her profession, having a loathsome disease (like syphilis), or dishonesty in business. Such claims are considered so obviously harmful that malice need not be proved to obtain a judgment for "general damages," and not just specific losses."

Last I checked, prostitution & pandering (the technical term for "pimping") are crimes in 49 states (and three counties in the 50th) and AFIAK were crimes at the time of Lindberg's life. Ergo, no proof of malice required. Bill's statement could quite easily be construed as libel per se and there for subject to general and specific damages; this being totally contrary to Bill's claims of any action being limited to specific damages.

In summary, my concern, and why I initially tried to hint, "Hey, was "Pimp" really the word you wanted to use?", is that we need to be careful about statements which might bring a libel claim against this webboard. Web providers in general have greater immunity than most other mediums, but if the POA owners are stung by a $70/month income shortfall, imagine how much defending a megabuck lawsuit could do to the owners' cash flow.

NickDBrennan said:

Don't remember where I heard that, nor do I remember if its true.[/QUOTE

No, that's not it !

PIMP is short for pimple. It's like the pimp (pimple) & whores aren't all that bad, but if it (the pimp) dissappeared, that would be just as well.

MSmith said:
Can you libel a dead person?
I'm pretty sure his estate, since it still exists as a legal entity, could sue for libel since it represents his interests.

Rest assured, if the Lindberg estate contacts us regarding the comment made by the OP expressing concern, we'll happily remove all such references.

Anyone with concerns about the legal ramifications about a topic or post on this site should contact the forum adminstrators.

As for the "pimp" remark, I've heard it used in the context used by the OP myself. It's stupid but there it is.

Now lets settle the debate down before someone gets hurt. :)

I'm pretty sure his estate, since it still exists as a legal entity, could sue for libel since it represents his interests.

Hmmm...

This Site says No.

Basically, the law only protects the "memory of the dead". It says nothing about the rights of the estate. Since the dead can't sue, no successful libel suit.

(NOTE: I'm not a lawyer. Beth?)

MSmith said:
Can you libel a dead person?

Not in most states, but for web media you can pretty much freely pick the suit venue so the person claiming libel could easily pick a state that does allow such a claim.

OTOH, I suspect "Charles Lindberg" is a name, a logo, a business, a trademark, and about every other legal/business entity you or I could imagine (think "Elvis"). The estate may not be able to claim libel for the person, but if it exists the business could claim damage to the logo (for example), which is a legitimate libel claim.

Whatever the case, I still think it was in poor taste. And, as others noted in the thread, it's old news.

I wasted a few minutes Googling about libel. It appears you can libel a corporation.
Also found this site about libel on the internet.
http://www.wave.net/immigration/lawyer/libel.html
My reading is that the website provider/manager can be held liable if they exercise a degree of editorial control. I guess that means that if they have the right or ability to delete or correct a post and don't then they can be held liable. Compuserve was held to be just a provider of a forum and likened to a news stand that just sold newspapers but couldn't be expected to know or control their content and was struck out as a defendant. As we know, AvWeb was held liable because they could have or should have exercised some form of editorial control.
I think this makes it encumbent upon us all, as users of this excellent forum, to take care to protect the management by not posting anything that could be construed as libellous. The management should have our full support in deleting any posts which could be construed to contain and content which may be libellous.
Stephen

Thanks for the response, Stephen.

Since we haven't rec'd any direct complaints, I don't see any reason to pull it or close it right now. I do think it's a good discussion overall, regardless of the topic.

Bonanza said:

Regarding the dead person issue, I keep finding references that state "While it may be reprehensible to say false things about someone who has died, in most states it is not legally actionable." (or equivalent). "Most" is certainly not the same as "all", yet the abov links states that it can't be done.

Is the above link related and limited to a state that does not allow libel regarding a dead person? Or is "most" actually "all"? IOW, anyone know a specific state that allows a libel claim regarding a dead person?

Ed Guthrie said:
Regarding the dead person issue, I keep finding references that state "While it may be reprehensible to say false things about someone who has died, in most states it is not legally actionable." (or equivalent). "Most" is certainly not the same as "all", yet the abov links states that it can't be done.

Is the above link related and limited to a state that does not allow libel regarding a dead person? Or is "most" actually "all"? IOW, anyone know a specific state that allows a libel claim regarding a dead person?
It is a good job that I am not busy today !!!

I found an interesting article at http://writ.news.findlaw.com/dean/20040312.html

It appears that it is "American Common Law" (whatever that might be) that you cannot defame the dead, however the article does suggest that there maybe other remedies available to the family of the deceased which, although difficult to persue and uncertain in result, may cost considerable money to defend and tie one up in litigation for a considerable time. I guess that the defamation would have to be so great and the family so determined to persue the matter before anything would come of it, but it does appear that it may be possible to seek alternative civil remedies even though libel does not appear to be an option.
Stephen.

Bonanza said:
It is a good job that I am not busy today !!!

I found an interesting article at http://writ.news.findlaw.com/dean/20040312.html

Reading the link material it appears that Rhode Island may be one (or the only) exception and therefore the reason why my college law book and the references I found today stated "most" rather than "all".

[QUOTE...
...Put it in my pocket...
No, that's not it !
PIMP is short for pimple. It's like the pimp (pimple) & whores aren't all that bad, but if it (the pimp) dissappeared, that would be just as well.[/QUOTE]

:no: No, that's not it either. Apparently the word first appeared (in print) in four hundred years ago. Possibly derived either from the French pimper "to dress elegantly," or pimpreneau "a knave, rascall, varlet, scoundrell."

Although I disagree heartily with some of Lindbergh's beliefs, he was none of those.
- Richard

Back