[News Report] Next Gen: Fused Reality brings VR to Flight Training

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Next-Gen Flight Training
Forget ground-based sims. Imagine sitting inside the cockpit of a real plane while computer-generated graphics place you in a real-world scenario outside.

Link to www.planeandpilotmag.com article

fr_scott_howe.jpg

NASA Armstrong research pilot Scott Howe performs a task with the Fused Reality system, which displays virtual objects such as runways or other aircraft over what’s really there. © NASA Photo / Lori Losey

fr-formation_flying.jpg

In the system’s stenciling mode, a virtual tanker has been cut out and displayed over a real scene of the outside world. © NASA Photo

This tech could reinvent "being under the hood" with training for the IFR rating.

I can see scenarios where it to the student, it appears he descends through a layer, flies the approach, and pop's out just above minimums, and it looks very real to him. But the instructor is VFR the entire time.

This tech could reinvent "being under the hood" with training for the IFR rating.

I can see scenarios where it to the student, it appears he descends through a layer, flies the approach, and pop's out just above minimums, and it looks very real to him. But the instructor is VFR the entire time.

Kinda hard to program your GPS or switch radio frequencies like that, isn't it? That's every bit as much a part of IFR flight training as a view limiting device.

Somehow, painting a runway where there isn't one seems an extraordinarily bad idea.

Kinda hard to program your GPS or switch radio frequencies like that, isn't it? That's every bit as much a part of IFR flight training as a view limiting device.

Somehow, painting a runway where there isn't one seems an extraordinarily bad idea.

Actually, the technology available (perhaps not in this experiment, I didn't watch the video) is more properly termed "mixed reality". The goggles can (we have trainers in my building as I type that do this) be transparent except where painting something on the display. So you can see the radios/panel but have a partially or wholly virtual out the window view. Motion tracking in space is difficult but not impossible and getting better.

John

The article describes what John said. It is a "mixed" environment where you're seeing what you would without the device on, but the added item(s) are superimposed over the view. Such as the fuel drogue or an airplane formation you're joining on.

This would be phenomenal idea in a fused reality application for IFR training. I know for me personally hood work is a night and day difference from actual time. More time you can simulate that sensation the better in my opinion barring any actual IMC being available.

Back