NEWS Flash War Bird Owners!!!

Stache

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Stache
Here is some good news for all you War Bird Owners out there. The FAA has changed policy on the 300 and 600 nautical mile proficiency flight requirement by Order 8130.2F change 3, paragraph 158.

This will cover Group 1, 11, and 111 former military aircraft with a special airworthiness certificate in the experimental category for the purpose of exhibition are no longer required to comply with the 300 and 600 nautical mile proficiency flight requirement.

You can request from your local MIDO or FSDO who has the geographically responsible to have your limitations amended. Remember a DAR is not allowed to amend these limitations on FAA inspectors.

The new rule is all proficiency/practice flight may be conducted without any geographical area restrictions or any mileage limitations from the aircraft’s home base airport. This was signed on September 11, 2007 by AIR-200.

Good news for a lot of owners (like Steve)

Here is some good news for all you War Bird Owners out there. The FAA has changed policy on the 300 and 600 nautical mile proficiency flight requirement by Order 8130.2F change 3, paragraph 158.

This will cover Group 1, 11, and 111 former military aircraft with a special airworthiness certificate in the experimental category for the purpose of exhibition are no longer required to comply with the 300 and 600 nautical mile proficiency flight requirement.

You can request from your local MIDO or FSDO who has the geographically responsible to have your limitations amended. Remember a DAR is not allowed to amend these limitations on FAA inspectors.

The new rule is all proficiency/practice flight may be conducted without any geographical area restrictions or any mileage limitations from the aircraft’s home base airport. This was signed on September 11, 2007 by AIR-200.

It won't effect my war bird, it has a normal airworthiness certificate.

nice thing about civil aircraft that were used by the military.

This is good news and something that should have been done a long time ago. OTOH, I'd bet that a large percentage of the warbird operators have paid scant attention to the old rule for years.

-lance

At least now if they get their limitations amended they will be legal and won’t feel guilty for breaking a rule as in years gone by.

Does this cover things like the Russian L39 jet trainer, or are they still limited in their flights?

I've been waiting for this since before I bought the IAR. It reduces the amount of paperwork for the FAA and the operators. This applies to both piston and turbine aircraft.

http://www.warbirds-eaa.org/news/2007%20-%2009_18%20-%20EAA%20Warbirds%20of%20America,%20Industry%20Achieve%20Major%20Breakthrough.html

And no, I didn't ignore the rule in the past. I figured if the FAA wanted the additional paperwork I was glad to oblige. And I didn't want the possiblity of a technicality causing additional grief if I was ever involved in an incident/accident far afield from my home base.

My thanks to the EAA and type owners organizations pursuing relief from the FAA and bringing some reasonableness to this issue.

Back