Newfoundland Ferry - N/A

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
This is the Leif Erikson leaving Port aux Basques, Newfoundland for North
Sydney, Nova Scotia. A bit of this video even made Canada News.

For those that don't know, this is the smallest of the passenger ferries
which make this 150km. crossing, but it's still a fair sized ferry. And NO!
This is not normal seas in the area.

Nevertheless, you see why I make a long detour to avoid flying this stretch!

Attachments

• ferry.wmv
    3.8 MB · Views: 39

Nasty part of the world in the winter. When I was in my very early twenties I worked on the 230' research ship Atlantis II (Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution). We did a three month cruise in the winter of 1965 in the North Atlantic. We ran into one monster storm with what we estimated to be 60' or greater seas. One broke over the bridge breaking every window, injured the mate and seamen on the bridge, and damn near washed one guy overboard.

Port aux Basques is a nice place in the summer, though :D

Holy Cow I'm glad I wasn't on that ferry. I would have tossed my cookies!

We took one of those from PEI to NS this summer. I doubt they are listening to live folk music out on deck and watching pretty girls go by in halter tops on that leg!

I also read about the video in the Canadian news, saying that the video isn't from Newfoundland, and is actually from New Zealand. A bit more research found that it was indeed in the Cook straight just off Wellington in 2002. The ship is the "Suilvan", and I believe it was being used for roll-on-roll-off general cargo service at the time. Here's an explanation of the event from New Zealand's Met Service.

Chris

Eeeeesshhhh, would not want to be on the Stewards crew of that boat... Can you say "Barf-o-rama"?:vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit:

Gosh... that's quite a pitch. I have no clue what was actually happening with the Ike but there were times it sure felt like it was pitching that much.

In contrast, a couple times the sea was like glass. Once, in the North Atlantic and another in the Med. There was not the slightest ripple in the water before the hull hit each point. An amazing sight to imagine spreading for as far as the eye can see.

Once in the N. Pacific the Bainbridge was in a hard storm; the L.F. antenna was ripped off the bow as she came out of one of the waves.

Green water hitting the bridge was quite the experience.

Just finished watching the show "killer waves" on one of the science channels. Never saw one, up close and personal, though. Did see some 30deg. rolls a time or two while in the engineroom.

Jim

I also read about the video in the Canadian news, saying that the video isn't from Newfoundland, and is actually from New Zealand. A bit more research found that it was indeed in the Cook straight just off Wellington in 2002. The ship is the "Suilvan", and I believe it was being used for roll-on-roll-off general cargo service at the time. Here's an explanation of the event from New Zealand's Met Service.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I've been on the Nfld ferry many times, in both very rough and very calm seas. The video was so fuzzy I couldn't recognize the ship.

Back