Newest FltPlan Go 4.4.8 has bad issues

BigBadLou

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Lou
Beware, if you updated the app to the newest 4.4.8 release, check your maps and procedures.
I realize this is a free app and you get what you pay for (I use it only as a backup) but I just wanted to forewarn other users that they might lose data.

It seems that after an update to the new 4.4.8 release and an Airport Database update I was prompted to do, the app deleted all procedures and later also all maps. After updating other data, such as A/FD (they still haven't fixed the name), diagrams etc, those are still showing as outdated.
Downloading the deleted procedures and maps manually worked fine so there is a fix. Same for the A/FD and Misc, downloading them one or two more times will eventually give you the newest ones. You just need to be aware and download manually.
I recommend a trick: after you've updated maps, go in and delete expired maps. CHECK that you still have maps left, mine disappeared all again.

This happened actually twice so it does not seem to be a fluke.
Just be careful and CHECK your data after an update and download so that you are not up there in the air thinking "where did my maps and procedures go?"

(mods, if this post is in the wrong forum, please move the thread, thank you)

Fly safe!

Thanks for the head's up. Have you reported your experience back to the FltPlan folks? From their website:
FltPlan Go Mobile App Support
Tech@FltPlan.com
I have contacted them with questions about their app in the past and gotten prompt responses.

Nah, I made the mistake once and will never live it down. I don't care for their support telling me how wrong I am.
If you care to tell them they made a mistake (careful, they get all huffy puffy), go for it. I really don't want to talk to them again.
I just wanted to warn my fellow pilots that they could potentially get into a pickle if they don't check what got deleted.

The only issue I've had is while flying, their app doesn't show accurate ground speed. That was on my droid phone...going to try the iPad version next flight. I always try any new apps in the ground vehicle first. If it doesn't work there, it's a no-go, in the air.

UPDATE:
surprisingly, every time there is a new database update, FltPlan Go warns me that I need to "re-down" the Victor chart in question.
A) Not sure why every time, I would have expected them to fix the problem a long time ago.
B) Not sure whether I am interpreting the hipster "redown" correctly as "repeat download" but I guess it cannot hurt to update the chart to be sure that I have the latest one.
Let's hope this is resolved sometime soon (maybe by 2020?).

Back