Newbies from the USENET and elsewhere

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I just want to say I have seen a lot of new people registering on here, many coming form rec.aviation.* USENET news groups. In case I missed welcoming any of you I'll just say hello and welcome here.

Always glad to meet more pilot type people and look forward to getting to know you here and hopefully in person.

Ditto here. Funny enough, I used to browse USENET all the time back in the day, and somehow completely missed rec.aviation.*. I spent most of my time in alt.binary.* :D

Some fun stuff in there.

I'll bet. Those were quickly blocked in the private sector. When I was in government service that is where we would do all of our, um, network, capacity testing. Yeah that's the ticket!

I never heard of usernet. So what happened to the aviation "channel". Did it crash or shutdown and that is why so many are coming over here? By the way, I welcome all those who stop in...

I never heard of usernet.
I have never heard of that either. But I have heard of and used USENET for many years. It predated the web and was the main Internet BBS for those of us who were online as early as the 1980s

The idea of network news was born in 1979 when two graduate students, Tom Truscott and Jim Ellis, thought of using UUCP to connect machines for the purpose of information exchange among users. They set up a small network of three machines in North Carolina. Initially, traffic was handled by a number of shell scripts (later rewritten in C), but they were never released to the public. They were quickly replaced by ``A'' news, the first public release of news software.
``A'' news was not designed to handle more than a few articles per group and day. When the volume continued to grow, it was rewritten by Mark Horton and Matt Glickman, who called it the ``B'' release (a.k.a. Bnews). The first public release of Bnews was version-2.1 in 1982. It was expanded continuously, with several new features being added. Its current version is Bnews-2.11. It is slowly becoming obsolete, with its last official maintainer having switched to INN.
Another rewrite was done and released in 1987 by Geoff Collyer and Henry Spencer; this is release ``C'', or C-News. In the time following there have been a number of patches to C-News, the most prominent being the C-News Performance Release. On sites that carry a large number of groups, the overhead involved in frequently invoking relaynews, which is responsible for dispatching incoming articles to other hosts, is significant. The Performance Release adds an option to relaynews that allows to run it in daemon mode, in which the program puts itself in the background.
The Performance Release is the C-News version currently included in most releases.
http://tldp.org/LDP/nag/node256.html

Rec.aviation.piloting has been pretty much overrun by a couple of trolls and crossposts to/from alt.usenet.kooks - the signal to noise is purd near zero...

Rec.aviation.piloting has been pretty much overrun by a couple of trolls and crossposts to/from alt.usenet.kooks - the signal to noise is purd near zero...
That stinks!

One thing is nice here is that if somebody does start behaving in a non-community standard way they get a timeout pretty quick form the active Management Council.

That stinks!

One thing is nice here is that if somebody does start behaving in a non-community standard way they get a timeout pretty quick form the active Management Council.

That's precisely what we refugees from Usenet are counting on...

Rec.aviation was a wondrous place for pilots. Then an anonymous troll/spammer named "Bertie the Bunyip" jumped on board, and literally destroyed the group from within with hundreds (thousands?) of obscenities and personal attacks on respected, long-term posters. One by one, they've all left -- many coming here.

I would not have believed it was possible if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. You could not believe the damage one determined troll (with apparently endless hours to post) could do to a long-time group of aviators.

Someone has posted that "Bertie" is now trying to follow the exodus into this group. If true, it will be in interesting (and immediate) test of the moderators if he starts down the same poisonous road in this forum...

Rec.aviation was a wondrous place for pilots. Then an anonymous troll/spammer named "Bertie the Bunyip" jumped on board, and literally destroyed the group from within with hundreds (thousands?) of obscenities and personal attacks on respected, long-term posters. One by one, they've all left -- many coming here.

I would not have believed it was possible if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. You could not believe the damage one determined troll (with apparently endless hours to post) could do to a long-time group of aviators.

Someone has posted that "Bertie" is now trying to follow the exodus into this group. If true, it will be in interesting (and immediate) test of the moderators if he starts down the same poisonous road in this forum...
I am not one of the MC but they have said that anyone coming here gets a new slate and a long enough rope to hang themselves. The MC is really good and taking care of behavior that is not tolerated. The Rules of Conduct (RoC) are enforced.

The one place that things to do a little wild and wooly is the spin zone. There are directions to opt out of seeing that if you so desire. The group of people that hang there are pretty good natured about ribbing each other as we throw political mud about, mostly always just in good fun.

If anyone ahs not seen it yet, here is how to opt out of Spin Zone
This forum is provided to allow users to "opt out" of non-aviation topics of a charged, sensitive or otherwise potentially volitile nature. To Opt Out of the Spin Zone (or any other forum), go to the User CP, select Options, and the Opt Out controls are all the way down.

Last edited:

Hi Jay ..

I used to go there .. don't recall what nick I was using. I remember you
and your wife had a hotel in Iowa City (?). It's been a while .. I've been
just here and at Babes and Airplanes. This is a class group, jay.

RT

Hi Jay ..

RT

Hi Roger,

Yep, we own the Alexis Park Inn & Suites, the aviation themed, all-suites hotel next to Rwy 25 in Iowa City.

"Babes and Airplanes"? Now THAT sounds like fun!

:yes:

Hi Jay ..

RT

Ah yes, but I see you've failed to specify which class we are! :D:D

Hi Roger,

Yep, we own the Alexis Park Inn & Suites, the aviation themed, all-suites hotel next to Rwy 25 in Iowa City.

"Babes and Airplanes"? Now THAT sounds like fun!

:yes:

Hmmm... a compelling reason to head for Iowa (that, and Tony Condon).

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the heads up and story on what happened. I was afraid it was a story like that...hopefully there are enough safeguards in place to keep people like that out.

Gee, I thought non-moderated usenet groups have been like that since about the time AOL let their members access them (early 90's).

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

-Rich

I am not one of the MC but they have said that anyone coming here gets a new slate and a long enough rope to hang themselves. The MC is really good and taking care of behavior that is not tolerated. The Rules of Conduct (RoC) are enforced.
Scott is absolutely correct. And thanks, Scott, for posting this thread and taking the time to help educate and welcome our new porch sitters. :D

Gee, I thought non-moderated usenet groups have been like that since about the time AOL let their members access them (early 90's).

-Rich

Yep, That's about the correct timing and the probable cause. Things on usenet started downhill and got gradually worse until recently when it accelerated. rec.aviation became infested with simmers and non-pilots, some of whom were abusive.

Scott is absolutely correct. And thanks, Scott, for posting this thread and taking the time to help educate and welcome our new porch sitters. :D

Don't let the nice guy attitude fool you. Chuck has a hair trigger on his ban missiles. Hell, he's been known to type "FOX THREE" in chat when he bans someone. :D

I kid of course, but the MC will make sure any rabblerousers are dealt with accordingly. No worries!

FOX THREE! FOX THREE!
Don't let the nice guy attitude fool you. Chuck has a hair trigger on his ban missiles. Hell, he's been known to type "FOX THREE" in chat when he bans someone. :D
Greebo bans wbarnhill.

-Rich

There has always been spam (I saw the original "green card" spam), trolls and clueless maroons, but the problems seems to have just exploded recently. This is nothing like the arrival of AOL and PEOPLE WHO THOUGHT THAT SINCE THEY WERE TYPING AT A COMPUTER THEY HAD TO USE ALL UPPERCASE - and didn't realize that they were shouting. :-(

im glad that rec.aviation.soaring is still a very useful group. and im glad that you all are here, welcome!

It has always been thus, though not to such an exent.

Use kill files and filters to lower the noise.

Use groups.google.com and read on the web. Google filters pretty well ahead of time.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.aviation.piloting/topics?hl=en&lnk=srg

Yes, but even for those of us who know how to use the tools it was getting our of hand. A small group of (~3) people really killed that set of usenet groups. I had registered here in May of last year, but didn't frequent this place until Dudley moved a few days back. It's good to see Jay, Bob, Dudley and several of the others here where they can be heard.

John
PP-ASEL
IR student

Well we welcome all of you. Go ahead and spread the word to anyone you like, we'll handle the occasional troll with our certified troll repellent. :D

I nominate Pancho! Waddya say, Mike?

And Pancho's backup....
edandkaiser.jpg

See me trying to restrain the terror??:rofl:

There has recently been a large and welcome influx of new members to POA. First the Managment Council and POA welcome all new members and hope that you will find pilot fellowship, information, entertainment and new friends at Pilots of America. This forum is a moderated forum and we expect that all members new and old will adhere to our Rules of Conduct (ROC). Please read the ROC and become familiar with them it will help you get the most out of your POA experience. While POA is a moderated board the Management Council does not consider itself babysitters. Expect that emotions may run a little warmer in Spin Zone. If you don't have a thick skin don't enter. While this is NOT a substitue for reading and following the ROC everyone should know that we do expect you to:

1) Treat others with respect.
2) Refrain from personal attacks

3) Keep it clean
4)Observe copyright laws.
5) Trolls happen DON'T TAKE THE BAIT

It's shame what happened to rec.aviation.* I have to say that I learned more about flying there than I ever thought I would. The wealth of knowledge that is available in a group such as that (or now this) is astonishing.

It's shame what happened to rec.aviation.* I have to say that I learned more about flying there than I ever thought I would. The wealth of knowledge that is available in a group such as that (or now this) is astonishing.

Rec.aviation.piloting was an amazing place - while it lasted; 2005 was its last good full year.

I hung out in R.A.Homebuilt, R.A.Owning, R.A.Piloting. I started out with the R.A.Student group, in 1998.

People who stumbled onto "us" were always pleasantly surprised that we weren't like other USENET groups they'd been a part of in the past.

I do hope 'the torch has been passed, to a new forum...'

Montblack

im glad that rec.aviation.soaring is still a very useful group. and im glad that you all are here, welcome!

TC, RAS is a very usefull group. They hit a speed bump a few years ago with the signal to noise ratio but it has worked out well. You can recognize many names over there from contest rosters around the world. I notice this group has a photo album link. Is there a pic of your Cherokee there ?
FB

No fan of "Bunyip" but he was only the teat of the boy pig. Dozens of others chimed in, many of them accomplished pilots as Bunyip is.

It was a group effort, Jay. Let's not forget the troll, MXmaniac who was quite adroit at starting interesting topics then dragging rec.aviation posters along for a joy troll ride as he ground out endless, looping, nonsensical arguments. Those that joined in that mayhem are equally to blame. Dozens of real pilots willing to place others in harm's way for their kiddie play time saturated with bad advice for pilots.

The ultimate troll is one "wilburn" who has single handed destroyed more Usenet groups than you can count in a day. "w" as he likes to be called makes no bones about the fact that "Trolls Attract Idiots; Idiots Respond To Trolls". Yet he has been successful for a decade or more (see alt.music.jethro-tull, alt.music.the-doors or his "rebuilt" alt.music.led-zeppelin). "w" is a higly awarded Viet Vet, merc of three decades, author and a psyops expert ultimate.

The difference between Bunyip/MX and "w" is that Bunyip/MX laugh; "w'" laughs and willingly sets out the rules beforehand knowing that there are many willing participants, all who claim they are not trolls themselves, that wilburn is the problem.

Yeah, right. :mad:

Last edited:
Thankfully, if you can cut through the BS, it's in the Google Group archives. :yes:

Yes, I too migrated (fled ??) here about 10 days ago, and am trying to get use to the quite different forum interface. Too many years Usenet experience for an old codger like me to assimilate new stuff, I guess.

Too bad, as I had been a (moderately) active R.A.x participant for many, many years; first under my real name, and then as Jay Somerset in an attempt to evade the ever-spiraling quagmire of SPAM email. Now I've got good spam blockers, but sadly, news readers have not managed to develop as sophisticated "content blocks" as ISP's and email clients have. And this has spelled the death of R.A.P as a useful forum for communication.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to PoA as a substitute for R.A.x, and hope to be rewarded. :)

And a warm welcome to my other R.A.P acquaintances in these forums (fora ?).

Cheers, :cheerswine:

Hey Jay, welcome to the other side of Usenet :) Definitely a much more sane crowd here. Stick with it on the new user interface & format. I keep finding new features that do what I'm used to with a newsreader. It's different but it works.

We welcome the camaraderie and knowledge migrating here from our older cousin, usenet. Welcome! and thanks for coming.

While I was never one of his victims, he is why I stopped visiting there.

While I was never one of his victims, he is why I stopped visiting there.

Glad you made the jump, Ken. This is such a great place -- after all the heat of rec.aviation, it's like cold, clear water on a hot summer day...

:)

Glad you made the jump, Ken. This is such a great place -- after all the heat of rec.aviation, it's like cold, clear water on a hot summer day...

:)
Yes, indeed, Jay. I've been here since the beginning, and stuck with it longer than the AOPA forum or anywhere else.

Back