Newbie Questions

Dan Deutsch

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Danno
OK - A couple of days sorting things out and doing lot's of reading and I think I have figured out pretty much how to tell what's new, what's not, what's read, what's not.

Have figured out what an Avatar is and managed to post my ugly mug and have even figured out how to do quotes and stuff.

Seems like a cool place to settle in and have a cuppa Joe but like all change it takes some getting used to.

Many thanks to the management team especially Chuck who probably is wondering what he got himself into here but is instantly responsive to questions. Especially from the dumb*ss (me) who registered incorectly and needed human intervention to get sorted out.

So a couple of questions:

Inserting an animated GIF in the signature - Possible or not? Do I need to know some html tags or something?

I see how to insert attachments but how about in-line images? Possible? Possible but discouraged?

Probably more questions but I have forgotten them while sitting here typing. (sigh.. Hell gettin' old)

Dan Deutsch said:
Inserting an animated GIF in the signature - Possible or not? Do I need to know some html tags or something?

I see how to insert attachments but how about in-line images? Possible? Possible but discouraged?

I see a selection of animated sig line images but no place to add our own - lets see, Ill select the helo:
All my images seem to come up inline without me asking.

i bet you could insert a link to a remotely stored animated gif image.

Dan Deutsch said:

Probably more questions but I have forgotten them while sitting here typing. (sigh.. Hell gettin' old)
If the animated GIF is stored elsewhere on the Internet, you can link to the GIF by hitting the globe icon in the signature screen. It will prompt you on everything and fill in the tags automatically. Not sure how to store locally, however, since I haven't played with it. Maybe Chuck can expand on that one.

Images work like this: in a single image post, it's automatically displayed in-line. Two or more images are displayed as links. This is to save on bandwidth and decrease load times for slower connections.

Brian Austin said:
Images work like this: in a single image post, it's automatically displayed in-line. Two or more images are displayed as links. This is to save on bandwidth and decrease load times for slower connections.

Not sure if I'm getting it. Here's an image.

I still can't figure out the GIF thing. Yes the GIF is on my HDD.

Hmmm...

Dan Deutsch said:
Not sure if I'm getting it. Here's an image.

I still can't figure out the GIF thing. Yes the GIF is on my HDD.

Hmmm...
One attached image: in-line (nice plane, Dan!)

Two or more attached images (just hit the browse and upload buttons again to do a second): the images will be listed as links and spawn a new window on clicking.

I'll defer to Chuck on the image on your hard drive issue. I feel like there is a way around it but haven't tried to make it work.

Welcome, Dan!!!!

When I was up in Cincy for Christmas, I ran across a friend from GEAE. Name is Mike Cherrier (Think I spelled that right), says he knows you. He's just back in the states after being in Tolouse for a few years.

bill

wsuffa said:
Welcome, Dan!!!!
Thanks!
wsuffa said:
I ran across a friend from GEAE. Name is Mike Cherrier (Think I spelled that right), says he knows you.
Yes, I know Mike pretty well. He is leading up the Marketing efforts for the GEnx. It's going to be one heck of a motor.

I was in Cinci for most of January and February. back in Singapore now till July with just regional travel in the plans.

I am heading to Malaysia this Friday to investigate possible GA flying opportunities.

I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Dan

Dan Deutsch said:
You can put IMG tags in your signature if you have the gif hosted somewhere that you can reference. An IMG tag is a way of telling the software to display a picture of a file located somewhere on the internet. For example, the code in my sig to display my little fighter smilie is:
PHP:
[img]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/greebo/tomcat.gif[/img]
More details on how to use the tags is found here.

Attachments, as Brian said, display inline if only one is posted - if more than one are posted, they are presented as links. You can use IMG tags instead, again providing you have the image hosted somewhere, but I generally try to avoid automatic display of multiple pictures in a single post because they eat up space and aren't friendly to lower bandwidth users.

And - no problem w/ the user account btw - its what I'm here for. :)

To elaborate on what I mean by "if you have the image hosted somewhere" -

That means that you have a place on the internet where you can upload files so that they will be accessible to others. In other words- somewhere that has a URL which points to it.

Your hard drive is not one of those places, and in most cases, you never want it to be. :)

Your ISP probably has provided you with some "personal web space". If so, they should be able to help you get the file hosted and determine the proper URL to reference it. Once you have the URL, you can use it in your signature. :)

Greebo said:
To elaborate on what I mean by "if you have the image hosted somewhere" - That means that you have a place on the internet where you can upload files so that they will be accessible to others. In other words- somewhere that has a URL which points to it.
Thanks Chuck.

Unfortunately the Singapore ISP only provides a connection. You have to find a host for POP-STMP and web hosting on your own. Kinda weird.

On my to do list is to get this stuff sorted out.

Thanks for the clarifications!

Rgds

There are also a wide number of cheap hosting providers who will give you webspace for a low monthly fee - but if you're only looking to host an image for a signature thats probably overkill.

IMO steer clear of the free hosting providers - they usually are spyware ridden.

Dan,

If you're just looking for a spot to house a few images e-mail them to me and I'll stick them on a server somewhere and send you the link.

Chip

woodstock said:
sweet plane! is that a Diamond?

You've never had the joy of flying a Traumahawk? Probably one of the better trainers out there. None of these mushy weenie non stalls and wing droops. They have a nice positive break and crack over into spins nice and sharp. Fun little planes. Almost rebuilt one as a clip wing to see how it would do, but someone else decided to buy it.:(

Back