Newbie Observations from OSH 2013

darthnomster

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyLikeAGirl'sHubs
For a slightly different (newbie) perspective, this was my wife's and my first Oshkosh. We were completely blown away.

We camped at Scholler and loved the experience. The people in the neighboring campsites were pros at the Oshkosh experience. We ate in style every night for dinner, and enjoyed friendly conversation. The welcoming sense of community was like nothing we'd ever experienced.

Jay and Mary hosted a great N40 PoA party. We newbies were welcomed with open arms. It was great to put faces with screen-names.

Sitting on 9/27 with a radio to watch the arrivals on Sunday was a highlight. Can't wait to do that again.

This was the first time either of us had been to an airshow, so that was very cool. My wife has decided to take some aerobatic training. :) We met some good folks at the IAC building.

Regarding the lack of military presence, I can only say that the low point of each airshow was the arrival of the harrier. I'd rather listen to piston engines any day.

Most of the forums were informative and well done. We considered them to be ground school 201/301 level stuff. Rich Stowell's sessions on LOC and spin/stall were very good presentations of topics that this low-time pilot appreciated. Mike Busch's presentations on engines and maintenance were well delivered and also informative. The Ditching/Flying over Water safety presentation at the SeaPlane base was very good.

We found some of the weird exhibitors to be amusing. If those folks want to subsidize the EAA while I walk by and laugh (cooking demonstrations in the flymarket come to mind), let em.

One of the only negative aspects of the whole trip was the night of the Disney "Planes" preview. EAA didn't plan properly for the volume of people who showed up. Many of those friendly people who picked up their trash and greeted you with a smile in the campsite lost their minds when they weren't permitted into the theatre. The sense of parental entitlement came out and we witnessed some ugly scenes in the time it took us to turn around and get out.

Regarding cost, this was the least expensive weeklong vacation we've taken in 5 years. We'd normally be getting on commercial transport and staying in a hotel or B&B somewhere. Of course food and drink will always be overpriced at events like this. I didn't think the prices were particularly egregious.

CANNOT WAIT for '14. We'll be there.

One of the vendor hits (although I doubt if anyone wanted to admit it) were the Progressive Flo bags. Well made, very strong, my wife and I (also newbes to AirVenture) saw a lot of those bags being used to hold sweaters, coats, water bottles, giveaways from other vendors, etc.

We watched some of the air show but we quickly became uninterested (how many times can you watch a plane do a loop?) and migrated down toward the ultralight area looking at planes along the way and then when the airshow was over watched the various ultralight and ultralight-like LSAs do their thing. Lot of fun.

Progressive, which to my knowledge doesn't underwrite any aircraft insurance, advertising "RV" Insurance was particularly amusing at an event that has so much ambiguity surrounding those two letters.

Admittedly, there were probably more RV-Campers than RV-Aircraft on the grounds.

One of the vendor hits (although I doubt if anyone wanted to admit it) were the Progressive Flo bags. Well made, very strong, my wife and I (also newbes to AirVenture) saw a lot of those bags being used to hold sweaters, coats, water bottles, giveaways from other vendors, etc.

Progressive, which to my knowledge doesn't underwrite any aircraft insurance, advertising "RV" Insurance was particularly amusing at an event that has so much ambiguity surrounding those two letters.

Admittedly, there were probably more RV-Campers than RV-Aircraft on the grounds.

I'm not sure what Progressive got out of being at the event, but I did pick up a floating keychain, four level keychains, and a t-shirt. I was hoping to win more shirts. :D

I'm not sure what Progressive got out of being at the event, but I did pick up a floating keychain, four level keychains, and a t-shirt. I was hoping to win more shirts. :D

I think where they may have a connection is that they may provide general business insurance and P&C insurance for FBOs or aviation related business. Like the Scotts booth and John Deer provide product and equipment to grow grass and mow and maintain turf runways. Or sell front end loaders to be used for taxiway, ramp and runway snow removal etc.

For a slightly different (newbie) perspective, this was my wife's and my first Oshkosh. We were completely blown away.

We camped at Scholler and loved the experience. The people in the neighboring campsites were pros at the Oshkosh experience. We ate in style every night for dinner, and enjoyed friendly conversation. The welcoming sense of community was like nothing we'd ever experienced.

Jay and Mary hosted a great N40 PoA party. We newbies were welcomed with open arms. It was great to put faces with screen-names.

Sitting on 9/27 with a radio to watch the arrivals on Sunday was a highlight. Can't wait to do that again.

This was the first time either of us had been to an airshow, so that was very cool. My wife has decided to take some aerobatic training. :) We met some good folks at the IAC building.

Regarding the lack of military presence, I can only say that the low point of each airshow was the arrival of the harrier. I'd rather listen to piston engines any day.

Most of the forums were informative and well done. We considered them to be ground school 201/301 level stuff. Rich Stowell's sessions on LOC and spin/stall were very good presentations of topics that this low-time pilot appreciated. Mike Busch's presentations on engines and maintenance were well delivered and also informative. The Ditching/Flying over Water safety presentation at the SeaPlane base was very good.

We found some of the weird exhibitors to be amusing. If those folks want to subsidize the EAA while I walk by and laugh (cooking demonstrations in the flymarket come to mind), let em.

One of the only negative aspects of the whole trip was the night of the Disney "Planes" preview. EAA didn't plan properly for the volume of people who showed up. Many of those friendly people who picked up their trash and greeted you with a smile in the campsite lost their minds when they weren't permitted into the theatre. The sense of parental entitlement came out and we witnessed some ugly scenes in the time it took us to turn around and get out.

Regarding cost, this was the least expensive weeklong vacation we've taken in 5 years. We'd normally be getting on commercial transport and staying in a hotel or B&B somewhere. Of course food and drink will always be overpriced at events like this. I didn't think the prices were particularly egregious.

CANNOT WAIT for '14. We'll be there.

Nice write up.

Glad to hear from young people getting started to OSH.

I just don't get the whole "Theater Thing" at all. I've been going to OSH when it was in Rockford, IL starting in 1968. I could not tell you where the Theater in the Woods is or the Blow up theater screen. I would rather pour acid in my eyes than see them or a movie at OSH. Time is a precious commodity, wasting it on watching Hollywood's crap is simply amazing to me.

This was my first time at OSH. Loved it. My son who is learning to fly is jealous, so we are going next year. Already booked my room.

Question - when do tickets go on sale from EAA for 2014?

This was my first experience at Oshkosh as well and my son and I flew in and camped in the North 40. To sum up my experience I have one word....."Wow". I can't wait to go back! I was also concerned that the lack of the military flight teams due to the sequestration would affect the quality of the show but it didn't in the least.

Nice write up.

I just don't get the whole "Theater Thing" at all. I've been going to OSH when it was in Rockford, IL starting in 1968. I could not tell you where the Theater in the Woods is or the Blow up theater screen. I would rather pour acid in my eyes than see them or a movie at OSH. Time is a precious commodity, wasting it on watching Hollywood's crap is simply amazing to me.

Agree 100%. When I'm at OSH, its all about two things:

1. Airplanes
2. People

We watched the Chicago concert for a few minutes, and then walked back to the North 40 to hang out with our group that gets together annually at OSH. I see these folks once a year -- why would I waste time watching a concert, or movie that I can see at home?

My goal, before I die, is to have spent an entire year of my life at AirVenture. I don't intend to spend a minute of it watching a movie. YMMV.

Only in a group of pilots would I be described as a "young" person. :)

Nice write up.

Theatre in the Woods is not a movie theater but a stage. We've seen a few good acts there (Lt. Dan Band, Kids from Wisconsin, Rod Machado, etc...) over the years. Of course gone thankfully are the Whistler and Chanda Lear.

I suspect we're well on our way of accumulated a year of Oshkosh time. I've done the entire show since 1983 (did three days in 1982) and for the past dozen years, we've showed up five days early and left the day after the wrap.

This was also my first year at OSH. I'll be back next year, and will arrive earlier in the week so we get a better spot in n40. Also... need to get to goodwill before the bikes sell out.

We brought along two friends who have never flown anywhere general aviation before and they loved it. At first I was concerned they would be bored after a couple days.

When I first started going I was solo and didn't know anyone, so the night time did get a little slow. I would have welcomed a movie back then. Now, not so much. Oshkosh is an awesome vacation, and even with the flight it cannot be beat for cost.

Back