Newbie here

FloridaPilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaStudentPilot
Hello Pilots of America,

I don't have any experience flying, (Just a few times on discovery flights and flight sims). After that discovery flight I always look up at the sky to see what is flying over my head but I didn't live close to an airport. My wife and I just moved this year and we so happen to live near a grass airport, (48X). I stopped in to take a look at the airplanes and watched some take off and land. I will frequent on the weekends and see if I can meet up with pilots to learn.

I did a google search and found this website, a lot of good information in here.

Pleased to meet ya!

Thanks!!

Hello Pilots of America,

I don't have any experience flying, (Just a few times on discovery flights and flight sims). After that discovery flight I always look up at the sky to see what is flying over my head but I didn't live close to an airport. My wife and I just moved this year and we so happen to live near a grass airport, (48X). I stopped in to take a look at the airplanes and watched some take off and land. I will frequent on the weekends and see if I can meet up with pilots to learn.

I did a google search and found this website, a lot of good information in here.

Pleased to meet ya!

Thanks!!

First post....

Welcome to POA...:cheers:

I learned to fly 34 years ago at X04... Orlando North, then Orlando County and now some other name...:dunno:

Welcome to POA. I am just across the bay at KPIE (St. Petersburg-Clearwater). Post or PM me if you're ever over on my side. There's some fantastic flying to be had around these parts.

Learning to be a pilot and getting your rating is a life-changing experience. I did it in my late 50's and am very glad I did.

Meet some pilots, enjoy their stories and mount up. There's nothing like firing up an airplane and going where you want to go.

First post....

Welcome to POA...:cheers:

I learned to fly 34 years ago at X04... Orlando North, then Orlando County and now some other name...:dunno:

Thank you, Do you remember your first solo? I hear that is something you never forget.

Welcome to POA. I am just across the bay at KPIE (St. Petersburg-Clearwater). Post or PM me if you're ever over on my side. There's some fantastic flying to be had around these parts.

I work in that area and sometimes I park to watch the planes take off and land for lunch. Those Coast guard planes that take off there are amazing!

Learning to be a pilot and getting your rating is a life-changing experience. I did it in my late 50's and am very glad I did.

Meet some pilots, enjoy their stories and mount up. There's nothing like firing up an airplane and going where you want to go.

I'm almost at that point in your life (43). Was it difficult? How did you learn?

I work in that area and sometimes I park to watch the planes take off and land for lunch. Those Coast guard planes that take off there are amazing!

Yeah, I love the broad spectrum of activity there. There are some Blackhawks based on the field, a bunch of Coast Guard activity, scheduled airlines, student pilots, experimentals, and even some military jet traffic.

I love tooling around in the pattern with all of that activity. Makes me feel more special than I actually am. :D

I'm almost at that point in your life (43). Was it difficult? How did you learn?

That's when I started. Talk around the airport, run it through Google, whatever. Just find a good instructor and talk to them. Ask questions here.

BONUS--student pilots get a free 6-month membership in AOPA [Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association]; the Flight Training magazine has good information in it. Ask your instructor . . .

Thank you, Do you remember your first solo? I hear that is something you never forget.

Yup... Vividly.. I can still smell the damp morning air and the muffled sound of cars passing by on US441 and good ol N5416M performing perfectly that day....

It was a calm, sleepy Sunday morning at Leesburg.. I did 2 T&G's and then my instructor, Glen Perkins, said make the next one a full stop.. We taxied back to the end of the runway, He simply got out and said Ok, Give me 3 T&G's and then come pick me up.....:yikes:.....

I looked over at that empty seat and knew then there was nobody there to save my ass in case I *ucked up.. I did three of my best landing to date and I will NEVER forget the moment I pulled up to pick him up to go back to X04.. I smiled for days..:):):)..

Last edited:
Welcome to POA, although I'm a bit of a cheat here....I'm British ! but in defence I feel adopted as I did my flight training in Florida and you will usually find me flying out of KLAL (Lakeland Linder) or KGIF (Winter Haven)

PS. And for a guy in his 40s you are certainly not too old to learn to fly, I got my wings at age 63 which was 2 yrs ago, now got 120hrs under my belt and enjoying the experience every time I take to the air...

Last edited:
It's been 20 years and I still remember every detail of my first solo.

My solo was only a couple months ago but theres no way I'll ever forget that ride. I got the shirt to prove it even. And 43 isn't to old, I'm 54 and loving it. welcome by the way.

That's when I started. Talk around the airport, run it through Google, whatever. Just find a good instructor and talk to them. Ask questions here.

BONUS--student pilots get a free 6-month membership in AOPA [Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association]; the Flight Training magazine has good information in it. Ask your instructor . . .

I got it, I signed up for AOPA. Thank You!

I'm reading Stick and Rudder right now, (Which is a good book so far) I purchased the killing zone and I have Rod Machado's Private Pilot Handbook.

My solo was only a couple months ago but theres no way I'll ever forget that ride. I got the shirt to prove it even. And 43 isn't to old, I'm 54 and loving it. welcome by the way.

Great accomplishment, I can't wait until we share notes!

Yeah, I love the broad spectrum of activity there. There are some Blackhawks based on the field, a bunch of Coast Guard activity, scheduled airlines, student pilots, experimentals, and even some military jet traffic.

I love tooling around in the pattern with all of that activity. Makes me feel more special than I actually am. :D

I saw the Blackhawks there today but I didn't have time to stop because I was late for a meeting. They crossed Ulmerton and held up commercial traffic. Very cool Helis

Welcome to POA, although I'm a bit of a cheat here....I'm British ! but in defence I feel adopted as I did my flight training in Florida and you will usually find me flying out of KLAL (Lakeland Linder) or KGIF (Winter Haven)

PS. And for a guy in his 40s you are certainly not too old to learn to fly, I got my wings at age 63 which was 2 yrs ago, now got 120hrs under my belt and enjoying the experience every time I take to the air...

Congrats!

I will be at the Fun and Sun on the last day, If you are attending let me know!

I got it, I signed up for AOPA. Thank You!

I'm reading Stick and Rudder right now, (Which is a good book so far) I purchased the killing zone and I have Rod Machado's Private Pilot Handbook.

That's a good start. My goal this year us to fly each chapter of Stick & Rudder.

I saw the Blackhawks there today but I didn't have time to stop because I was late for a meeting. They crossed Ulmerton and held up commercial traffic. Very cool Helis

Yeah, they're parked on the north side of the field beyond the huge Coast Guard hangar. Can't see them from Ulmerton but if you ever fly in you'll see them all parked out there.

Did you know that KPIE is one of the most active (the most?) Coast Guard stations in the nation? I swear I've counted 5 or 6 C-130s on the ramp out there, and they're constantly flying sorties. Plus they've got the helos.

Back