Newbie here -- just wanted to say hello

tylerdurden4543

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
tylerdurden4543
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for a bit and thought I'd finally say hello.

Am in training for PPL at KCDW (Essex County, NJ) and coming up on 10 hours. All going well so far but having some difficulty getting comfortable with landings -- am sure it will come with time. Am only able to get out flying once or twice a month, which makes it hard, but still committed.

Look forward to good discussions and always open to advice.

Thanks,
Tyler

Welcome to the front porch of aviation, Tyler.

Kick back and enjoy the conversations!

What, ten hours and no solo yet :hairraise:

Just kidding and welcome!! :D

The first rule of flight training is you do not talk about flight training.

Welcome Tyler, The landings will come in time and then they will go away. We've all been there !

Welcome aboard, TD!

Hi all,

Wanted to update you that today was my finally my first solo!

The numbers:
-122 take-offs and landings
-45 hours

While I'd normally be hard on myself for taking so long, there's a key learning here -- taking long breaks sets you back.

I had shoulder surgery in October of 2010, which took me out of the plane for 2 months and several months to recover. Just before my surgery, I had 6 months and 20 or so hours and my instructor thought I was ready to solo but didn't want to do it and then have me take a three month break. I guess that was the right call but it was amazing how long it took me to re-learn the "feel" of the plane again.

The good news is that we pushed forward with much of the 141 dual even though I hadn't yet soloed so the end is in sight.

Anyway, that's my story and look forward to continuing to learn from you guys and letting you know when I reach the next big milestone!

Good for you. Just keep at it and you will get there soon enough. Shoulder surgery can be a bear to recover from.

I have 50 hours and still am not comfortable with landings unless conditions are pretty calm. It is by far the hardest part of flying, which is why you keep pounding them out.

Hi all,

The numbers:
-45 hours

While I'd normally be hard on myself for taking so long, there's a key learning here -- taking long breaks sets you back.

I had shoulder surgery in October of 2010, which took me out of the plane for 2 months and several months to recover. Just before my surgery, I had 6 months and 20 or so hours and my instructor thought I was ready to solo but didn't want to do it and then have me take a three month break. I guess that was the right call but it was amazing how long it took me to re-learn the "feel" of the plane again.

The good news is that we pushed forward with much of the 141 dual even though I hadn't yet soloed so the end is in sight.

Anyway, that's my story and look forward to continuing to learn from you guys and letting you know when I reach the next big milestone!

Tyler,

You are a great example of "stick-to-it-iveness." I need this example right now. Thanks.

Doc

And we keep marching along...

This weekend was solo to the practice area (quite non-eventful), which culminated with a landing that my instructor said impressed even his commercial student as they were holding short and saw me land.

Yesterday I did first solo XC, KCDW-KMSV at 54NM each way. Relatively non-eventful, as well (I suppose the way we like it). I did miss a few checkpoints along the way but knew the area enough and was able to locate new landmarks on my chart to ensure I was heading in the right direction. Also used a VOR to ensure I was heading on the right track (without flying to the VOR directly). Did not like my landing at MSV.

One thing I learned is that "see and avoid" trumps "right of way." I was coming back home and was near a reporting point that I knew got crowded. I saw another AC (which I knew was a student) about 500' above me to my 10 o'clock. While I knew I was lower, I knew he couldn't see me and would be descending. We hadn't yet contacted the Tower so I wasn't convinced he'd keep us separate. Anyway, decided to make a wide 270 to the right to ensure separation. Worked out fine. Again, not pleased with my pattern or landing -- in retrospect, definitely should have gone around.

Next week is preparing for stage II check!

Hi all,

The numbers:
-45 hours

Tyler,

This is great. I was up to 1 - 5 flights PER WEEK and didn't solo until 40 hours (it might have been 39 or 41 or something, I forgot already).

Once you get your cert you'll forget all about how many hours this or that took you. I already have and it took me 90 hours to get to the checkride....

Keep posting about your training, it helps hundreds of pilots on this site going through their own training.

Kimberly

I used to fly out of KMMU so I'm familiar with that area, let me know if you need any help planning your long-cross-country or what ever.

Just out of curiosity, what school do you fly with?

Congrats on the solo Tyler. Keep hanging in there.

Because I know you all are anxious to hear about my progress, I finally completed my long solo XC this weekend (KCDW-KMSV, which I had been to before,-KAVP, which I had not been to before,-KCDW).

I've been ready to fly this since November but every time I was set to go, weather would get in my way.

All went well and relatively uneventful except not being able to access KAVP's ATIS because I couldn't get the radio to go below 116.0 (KAVP ATIS is 111.6). So, I just asked the approach controller for a brief weather update and he obliged me.

All that's left now is .1 hour of night dual (we screwed up with that one!), a couple dual practice lessons for my stage III check and then the big day!

Oh, and to answer MachFly, I'm training with Century Air at KCDW.

Because I know you all are anxious to hear about my progress, I finally completed my long solo XC this weekend (KCDW-KMSV, which I had been to before,-KAVP, which I had not been to before,-KCDW).

I've been ready to fly this since November but every time I was set to go, weather would get in my way.

All went well and relatively uneventful except not being able to access KAVP's ATIS because I couldn't get the radio to go below 116.0 (KAVP ATIS is 111.6). So, I just asked the approach controller for a brief weather update and he obliged me.

All that's left now is .1 hour of night dual (we screwed up with that one!), a couple dual practice lessons for my stage III check and then the big day!

Oh, and to answer MachFly, I'm training with Century Air at KCDW.

Good for you!!

FYI, that ATIS is transmitted over the VOR. You set that and listen on the nav radio. I have never experienced an ATIS not being on a comm freq so maybe that is unusual. HIWAS on the VOR, yes; ATIS, not for me.

Last edited:
Am in training for PPL at KCDW (Essex County, NJ) and coming up on 10 hours. All going well so far but having some difficulty getting comfortable with landings -- am sure it will come with time.
It will. I probably had 500 hours before I really got the picture and started making good landings consistently -- and by that time, I already had my CFI ticket, so don't worry about it at this point. It's like how to get to Carnegie Hall -- "Practice, my boy, practice!"

And for what it's worth, my first solo XC was the first time I really felt like a pilot. Before that, I felt more like a model airplane on the end of a U-control line. Taking off, going somewhere else, landing, having a Coke, then getting back in and flying home? Priceless!

It will. I probably had 500 hours before I really got the picture and started making good landings consistently -- and by that time, I already had my CFI ticket, so don't worry about it at this point. It's like how to get to Carnegie Hall -- "Practice, my boy, practice!"

And for what it's worth, my first solo XC was the first time I really felt like a pilot. Before that, I felt more like a model airplane on the end of a U-control line. Taking off, going somewhere else, landing, having a Coke, then getting back in and flying home? Priceless!

Ron, did helping other people help you get better at landings?

As we all know Flying somewhere else, having a coke, and flying back is not priceless. :rofl:

Good to hear from you Tyler. You still have that sticktuitiveness! Keep it up and you will be a certificated Private Pilot soon.

Hi all,

So, the big day -- the checkride -- is scheduled for three weeks from yesterday. One of the downsides of taking 26 months to get to this point is that the information I studied during ground school early on (which is critical for the oral portion) is not so fresh in my mind.

Does anyone have any recommendations for software, books, videos or apps to help review this information? I know I could simply try and memorize the oral exam prep guide but looking for something a bit more interactive.

Thanks!
Tyler

Others will chime in. But the oral is just talking about things you already know. Just like what you talk about with your pilot friends. I'd probably invest an hour with your CFI to review. How many pistons in the engine, reqs for flying at night. It's everything you already know. :)

Others will chime in. But the oral is just talking about things you already know. Just like what you talk about with your pilot friends. I'd probably invest an hour with your CFI to review. How many pistons in the engine, reqs for flying at night. It's everything you already know. :)

That said, I'd be careful to make sure you know as much as you can. At least in my case, the oral set the tone for the rest of the checkride. If you can show you know your stuff on the oral, the examiner might give you the benefit of the doubt later on in the ride.

I have the Machado private pilot book, which if you can stand all the absurd jokes, is very readable and informative. He has some pretty easy ways to remember some of the mundane regulations stuff.

Also, see if you can't get any intelligence on the examiner you're going to be flying with. You many not get any good info, but it never hurts to try. See if there's anything he's known for, likes to do. For example, mine pulled a dirty trick on me by telling me he wanted to see two turns around a point. Right after the first one, he broke my engine (for the second time). In retrospect, once he told me he wanted two turns, I should probably have suspected something was up, but oh well.

Above all, don't stress out about it. Read/study some each day. You have plenty of time to remember everything you need to, so you'll be fine :).

I've been through 5 check rides with 3 different examiners, and each examiner is different. One hates... let me reiterate HATES tower controllers". During a check ride we recieved conflicting directions from the tower basically during our landing flare. I was about ask for clarification on the radio when he stopped me, told me what to do, then assaulted the tower with a diatribe about them issuing conflicting directions while the airplane was landing and already cleared... ... ... I remember him saying "why dont you give me a phone number to call and we'll listen to the recording and square this up right now... We didn't get a phone number. Another DPE is a stickler for weather and likes to turn everything into a scenario. He'd show a picture of the bottom side of a thunder storm sitting over an airport and ask if you'd try to land there. Have you tell him what's goin on on a dipiction chart or prog chart, etc. One he had me plan a XC to an unfamiliar airport, then during the oral, quized me on different things that could happen during the flight. Like... "ok so were doing this flight at night and you notice that the alternator is cranking out 80 amps and the ALT light is on. We are here(points to a spot on the flight path near KDAG). What would you do? I go over the steps to lower amp draw and keep the battery alive as long as possible and choose to land at KDAG. He continued with the scenario, acting like a non pilot passenger who really wanted to finish the flight to the destination for an important business meeting etc... ... ... Once sure that I wasn't goint to relent on the landing NOW part of it, he asks me "ok the winds are calm, which runway are you going to land on? There are 2 runways at KDAG, 22/4 and 26/8. I look at the AFD and say "we're going to land runway 22." He gave me a look that got me nervous at this point and said... rather loudly "why the hell would you land on that runway, the other one is 1300 feet longer and 50 feet wider!!!!". I was obviously a little shaken, but my response was somthing like....(insert quivering voice and knee knocking in the backround) well were landing at night with electrical problems... 22 is 5100' long, plenty long enough to land on, and it's the only runway with a VASI. He then smiled and told me that it was the right answer but he was trying to shake me up a bit. (success on his part). He didn't keep that intensity the whole time. Expect a trick or two, if you know your answer is right, stick to it, if you think you've got the wrong answer and he's leading you down a path of wrong answer to justify another wrong answer, tell him. I got crossed up between Pressure altitude and density altitude, and which one is corrected for this that and the other..... DPE asked me "are you sure?" My response was somethin like "I want to say yes but I feel like i'm heading down the wrong path ( i was), I want to look it up". That got smiles from the DPE.

My private checkrides PSEL and PMEL were the only ones where the examiner tried to throw a couple of things at me while on the ground. During runup, he took out his cell phone and wedged it between his ear and headset and pretended to have a conversation with somebody while I was doing the pre take off briefing. He scolded me a little for letting a passenger do that... also, I didn't notice that he didn't have his shoulder harness on. I assumed that because I read it on the checklist that he had just done it. We took off and got started with the flight before i noticed him write down "shoulder harness" on his note pad:mad2: He scolded me for not ensuring that my passenger was properly secured by the shoulder harness. I had incorrectly assumed that he would be acting like the umpteen thousand hour pilot/ check airman/ DPE that he was, not like a passenger who had never flown before.

Remember to relax, be confident, and if your not sure about an answer during the oral, look it up or say "im not feeling 100 percent confident, I know I can find the answer to that in the ****** do you mind if we look it up?". There's nothing that says you cant look at your knee board if you get mixed up about cloud clearance in class g airspace above 10,000 but less than bla bla bla.... Knowing where to get the answer is as important as knowing the answer. I had one stop me from finding the answer because in his words "i just needed to see if you knew where to find the answer".

These things are stressfull, but all 3 DPE's ive used have gone out of their way to try and make the test as comfortable as possible. The DPE I used for my commercial single engine test kept telling me "relax man, were just 2 pilots going out for a flight, that's it." It was funny, I had to work later in the day, so I came to the checkride dressed in my work attire, a suite and a tie. He was wearing a t-shirt and shorts, his first comment was "man, your going to sweat your @$$ off" then laughed. It was hot that day. After our last landing his comment was "well, if you can taxi us back to parking without hitting anyghing, you'll have a new certificate"

Remember, they are pilots, they've been through checkrides, they know your nervous and that your performance will suffer a bit as a result. It's been said before, go through the PTS, Know your airplane, engine prop, gear, etc, then go fly hang out with another pilot for a few hours and walk away with your PPL.

Thanks all, I figured there was no "magic bullet" and that much of it depended on my examiner. Unfortunately, I know that my examiner is going to be a real hard-a%$...at the end of the day, I admit the extra knowledge will make me a better pilot but it's going to be a lot of studying.

I suppose I'll review the ground school text book pretty thoroughly and go from there. Stay tuned...

one chapter ends and another begins...

Well, I finally did it -- yesterday I received my temporary airman certificate and as so often has been pointed out here: my license to learn.

Here are the final numbers for my PPL:

• 27 months, 5 days from start to finish
  • 77 total flying hours (12 PIC and 65 dual)
  • nearly 200 take-offs and landings
  • I lost track but somewhere close to $15k in instruction and rental cost
  • All while getting married, starting a new job, starting and progressing through part-time grad school, having shoulder surgery and welcoming our first child -- sometimes life gets in the way!
My biggest takeaway is that the extended period of time really weighs on how much you remember ground school information for your oral (I took my written 12 months ago). If you fly continuously throughout, however, you can still keep a pretty good command of the airplane.

Thanks to all on this board for their support and I'll start a new thread when my wife let's me begin instrument training:thumbsup:

Congratulations! ;-)

Congratulations!!!!

Never, ever, ever count the money. :hairraise:

Re: one chapter ends and another begins...

Well, I finally did it -- yesterday I received my temporary airman certificate and as so often has been pointed out here: my license to learn.

Here are the final numbers for my PPL:

• 27 months, 5 days from start to finish
  • 77 total flying hours (12 PIC and 65 dual)
  • nearly 200 take-offs and landings
  • I lost track but somewhere close to $15k in instruction and rental cost
  • All while getting married, starting a new job, starting and progressing through part-time grad school, having shoulder surgery and welcoming our first child -- sometimes life gets in the way!
My biggest takeaway is that the extended period of time really weighs on how much you remember ground school information for your oral (I took my written 12 months ago). If you fly continuously throughout, however, you can still keep a pretty good command of the airplane.

Thanks to all on this board for their support and I'll start a new thread when my wife let's me begin instrument training:thumbsup:

Congrats - Have you planned your first passenger flight? Who will it be?

Back