Newbie getting their PPL, buy a plane for hours and training or buy to keep?

Cherokee 6 with the cargo doors and fixed gear fills all your requirements. It’s fast enough, roomy enough for any bike and has a good safety record. While not as sexy as some of the newer offerings, it gets the job done. Panel can be updated and it makes a good IFR platform. Definitely buy a plane that’s IFR certified as you’re using it as a traveling machine with your loved ones. You can use the six for basic through advanced ratings and never want for another plane. Get a thorough pre-buy inspection and know what you’re getting. Allot enough money for the unexpected after you take ownership. Don’t over complicate by asking for more than any plane offers within your budget as we all have to make compromises.
Yep my recommendation as well.

I would never want a plane intended for XC flying without an autopilot.
I have over 1500 XC hours and almost 200 of those hard IFR. None of those hours with an autopilot.

I guess it's a case of you don't miss what you never had.

I have over 1500 XC hours and almost 200 of those hard IFR. None of those hours with an autopilot.

I guess it's a case of you don't miss what you never had.

I know what you mean. I remember a time several years back when I had a corded screwdriver and thought I was just fine...didn’t know what I was missing. But then one day I finally bought a cordless one and it was a game changer! And there was no going back...

Thank you for all the responses. Read them all and will continue this ever daunting search.

100% agree. The only plane mentioned that will fit your bike easily. Get one with club seating and the rearmost seats come out. Will be able to fit 4 people, a bike some luggage with weight to spare. No other plane mentioned here so far can do that.
+1 on the Cherokee 6.
They do push the 100k envelope for a nicely equipped one....but for loading it'll be hard to beat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

031ab23c79856ceef82b89f6ec8735ea.jpg

32b473f7a1325337f3ab793d758a7727.jpg

2020 Total time
418 SMOH

GTN750 GPS/COMM
GTX345 transponder (e) ADSB- in and out
GMA35 integrated AUDIO with markers
Aera660 GPS touchscreen
Aspen Evolution 2000 pilot pro with dual ADSB in and STEC 55x unlock controller with flight director
JPI EDM 830 engine monitor
STEC 55X Autopilot
KX155 with GS

Price? And a very nice looking airplane.

I saw a nice mid 80’s Dakota a few years back I maybe should of bought. I think the price went down to the lower 80’s, after starting high.

The other possibility is to not overbuy for future maybes, a nice Archer covers many bases.

What is a good site to find plane?

I've never been in one, and have only seen pictures of them, but the Cessna C-177 Cardinal should come close to meeting all of your mission requirements. They were produced from 1968 to 1978, and come in fixed and retractable gear models. They also come with either fixed, or constant speed props.

Early models start around $45K, and later models can run up to $200K.

If you have a budget of $60K, you should look for a $45K plane, and budget the remaining $15K to dealing with owner deferred maintenance.

I have seen a good amount of small planes for under 30k, are they just junk or maybe worth it?

I have seen a good amount of small planes for under 30k, are they just junk or maybe worth it?

I originally planned on getting a 'trainer' but my mind was swiftly changed. When I was looking at planes around that price most required work and upgrades. With ADS-B being a requirement you can spend a good amount of money upgrading to that. Plus if I bought a trainer today I would have to maintain it and fix it to just sell it for less in a year or two? To then what, buy again? I decided to buy one right off the bat I can enjoy for decades.

Jamie, Your plane looks great! I have one likely only a few numbers away, also a 1976, 112. Your paint job and panel look better. After my wallet recovers from my IO-390 & MT prop upgrade I may look at panel improvements.

I’m sure you know about the Commanders owners group website, just about essential for an owner. The annual convention is in GA later Sept. If I wasn’t scheduled to assist on a youth hunt in MI I would be going.F957E404-1BE2-44DE-BE6E-6FA21573AAB2.jpeg

You could buy a pretty nice Grumman Tiger for less than 100K. Back seat folds so getting a bike in might be a possibility. Never tried. It's a good 3 person plane, even 4 with good DA. Figure 135kts. In the 100K range you could get a nice v-tail Bonanza. 160 knots, 4 seats, beautiful flying machine. Again, not sure about the bike though. I have one but never tried. A 36 bonanza will do all of the above but closer to 150K I think.

Back