Newbie, First Question

Dale99

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dale
So I'm new here, and new to flying. I took my discovery flight last weekend, and I'm going to apply for student certification and first lesson next weekend.

Due to this, I will likely be asking questions and reading peoples post trying to learn.

My first question... I was unable to control the rudder brakes which I assume are hooked up to the wing wheels. Does anyone know of a side view angle video of how these work? (diamond da20) I found a youtube video of an airbus while landing, it was shot from the PIC seat which showed me nothing.

Welcome to PoA and Flying!!!! Having learned in a DA20 myself, I know where you're coming from.

Steering a Diamond 20 on the ground with its castering nose wheel isn't something I would expect for a brand new student to get their head wrapped around within the first lesson or two.

With other aircraft and steerable nose wheels (like Cessna and Pipers), maneuvering on the ground is something that might come along a little faster. But Diamonds and Grummans take a bit more time to figure out.

The good thing is, once you figure it out, it's very simple to do.

The simplest way is to do a lesson where a significant portion is just taxiing. Just "drive" all over the airport learning how much input is needed on the rudder to turn, and how much added braking is needed to increase the rate of turn and reduce the turning radius. Sometimes adding a bit more power to "pull" the aircraft around is needed.

But if you ask the instructor to permit more time learning to taxi, he or she should be willing to accommodate the request.

And there is no real video showing the operation of the DA20 brake system. The simplest way to describe it is that the left brake pedal is connected to the brake on the left main wheel. Push with the brake pedal your left foot, and you will swing to the left. Same goes for the right pedal. Push that with your right foot, and you will swing to the left. Press both at the same time to come to an even stop.

Keep in mind that using brakes to turn a DA20 are not always required. They help, but the location of the rudder in the slip stream of the propeller is often enough to turn the aircraft when you press the rudder pedal. Then add just a small touch of brake if you're not turning fast enough.

As with all the skills, it's practice practice practice.

Again, welcome to PoA. Feel free to post other questions.

And look for ARFlyer (Andrew Finne) to post. He is in your region and is a good person to link up with.

Caste ring nose wheels can be a real problem,until you get comfortable. A few long taxis should help you get comfortable. Unfortunately it gets expensive burning all that gas just to drive the airplane.

Have fun and don't worry about the particulars of any plane at this point.

Enjoy the journey. :yes:

Welcome! If you've ever driven a tractor with differential braking, it's the same basic idea. :D

Almost every new student pilot taxis like a drunken sailor. You learn to "finesse" the pedals and brakes as you go. It gets better, trust me. Go fly and have fun!

Almost every new student pilot taxis like a drunken sailor.

For me, my "drunken sailor" was the first take off, oscillating between not enough right rudder to too much to not enough. Parker Woodruff (my first instructor) called it "A real snakey rodeo!"

Almost every new student pilot taxis like a drunken sailor. You learn to "finesse" the pedals and brakes as you go. It gets better, trust me. Go fly and have fun!

That was me and I had a steerable nosewheel on top of it!

My first takeoff was the same way, overcorrecting everywhere.

It's a good question, but a bit ahead of you for now.

All your questions are answered in the pilot's operating handbook. It's required to be in the aircraft, but you may be able to find one online. You may want to buy a copy just after solo (but the second lesson is a bit early).

All the aircraft systems are described. Not always in enough detail, but they are there.

Thank You everyone.

I was trying to find the brakes to slow the plane down, and steer. I was not able to do it all. I declined to do the landing due to this. So I feel this is something I need to learn by my 2nd flight. Drunken sailor was about right! :lol:

Will be looking to meet up with a few people once I get a few hours in and can learn a few things and lingo so I am able to talk with others and not be confused during the convo.

n747jb... you would think living on a farm during my young days over the summer I would have drove a tractor, but nope. Never did.

Makg1, I know I have to buy a book, not sure when, or what it is.

I declined my first landing because intentionally pointing the nose of the airplane at the ground scared the crap out of me. You get over it. :) And try not to put time tables on it. Some things will come to you quickly, others will take more practice.

I declined my first landing because intentionally pointing the nose of the airplane at the ground scared the crap out of me.

:rofl: Nice

I downloaded the one from the FAA, and saved the link for the other. Thanks!

Welcome, and in 2 more lessons you will laugh at taxing being a challenge.

Welcome! If you've ever driven a tractor with differential braking, it's the same basic idea. :D

My first thought, exactly.

Does anyone grow up having to drive a tractor anymore ?

I'm not sure Stick and Rudder is so appropriate for first timers. It has lots of nuggets for more advanced students, but most of us know nosegear makes more sense on the ground.

Thank You everyone.

I was trying to find the brakes to slow the plane down, and steer. I was not able to do it all. I declined to do the landing due to this. So I feel this is something I need to learn by my 2nd flight. Drunken sailor was about right! :lol:

Are you having trouble understanding how the brakes work? Push the tops of the pedals to brake (they tilt, like a car pedal). Push the bottom of the pedals to turn the rudder. Push both to both turn the rudder and activate the brake on that side of the plane.

Are you having trouble understanding how the brakes work? Push the tops of the pedals to brake (they tilt, like a car pedal). Push the bottom of the pedals to turn the rudder. Push both to both turn the rudder and activate the brake on that side of the plane.

Instructor told me how they work. But I thought I was pushing the top, but it wasnt turning or stopping. *shrugs* I have no clue.

I wouldn't stress about it. As others have said it will become second nature quickly and you will look back and wonder what the big deal was.

And not just on aircraft with castering nose wheels ;)

Instructor told me how they work. But I thought I was pushing the top, but it wasnt turning or stopping. *shrugs* I have no clue.

I don't know about that particular aircraft, but on Piper PA28s, it's really easy to push on a support bar right above the toe brakes. As you might expect, it doesn't move and doesn't do anything to the aircraft.

Next time you get in the aircraft, LOOK under there and see how it's put together, prior to preflight.

Back