Newbie checking in

Jberg440

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Justin
Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and flying so bare with this rookie. I'm a student at U of MN-Crookston for Natural Resources Aviation and I will be going up tomorrow for my first flight with the CFI in a Piper warrior. I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys and lots of advice along the way! _ Justin

Welcome Justin and have a blast with your first flight. That moment of breaking ground is just amazing!

Welcome.
As Adam said that first time taking off is something you will never forget.

Mark B.

Stay away from liquids, especially coffee. Fill your stomach with plenty of liquid absorbing food, bread, crackers, mashed potatoes, whatever, just don't go on an empty stomach. If you find yourself getting a little anxious, don't worry, that will pass for good after just a few flights.

Your going to love flying once you accept it is more about following the rules to the letter, than actually aviating. Cross your tees, dot your I's, take nothing for granted. Do exactly as your instructor tells you. Flying is about the most regimented, rule governed, endeavor you will ever involve yourself with, unless of course you are an engineer or going to work for the government.

Good luck.

John

Last edited:
Welcome!

Getting to fly in a Warrior is a unique privilege. It is a real airplane, not one of those sissy high wing things you see bopping around the airport by the real-pilot-wannabes. Once you have flown a low wing, such as the Warrior, you will never want to get into a sissy high wing ever!! It takes a special breed to tame the Warrior but once you do you will be one of the best of the best!!

;)

BTW all of the above was basically bull spucky ;)

Have fun, all planes are good and fun to fly, even the sissy high wing ones :)

Welcome to POA, Justin! Looking forward to hearing all about your recollections of the sensations of First Flight.

Stay away from liquids, especially coffee. Fill your stomach with plenty of liquid absorbing food, bread, crackers, mashed potatoes, whatever, just don't go on an empty stomach. If you find yourself getting a little anxious, don't worry, that will pass for good after just a few flights.

Your going to love flying once you accept it is more about following the rules to the letter, than actually aviating. Cross your tees, dot your I's, take nothing for granted. Do exactly as your instructor tells you. Flying is about the most regimented, rule governed, endeavor you will ever involve yourself with, unless of course you are an engineer or going to work for the government.

Good luck.

John

But the good news is once you develop the habits and discipline to become an aviator, they don't seem as much like limits anymore and you'll find a terrific sense of freedom.

Crookston.. I know where that is... a long way from no where just to get there. LOL

Actually I did 5 winters in 4 years at Grand Forks AFB ND.

Welcome to the board... So.. what does "Natural Resources Aviation" do for you?

Welcome!

Getting to fly in a Warrior is a unique privilege. It is a real airplane, not one of those sissy high wing things you see bopping around the airport by the real-pilot-wannabes. Once you have flown a low wing, such as the Warrior, you will never want to get into a sissy high wing ever!! It takes a special breed to tame the Warrior but once you do you will be one of the best of the best!!

;)

BTW all of the above was basically bull spucky ;)

Have fun, all planes are good and fun to fly, even the sissy high wing ones :)

What exactly do you mean by "BTW all of the above was basically bull spucky"? I own a 1978 Warrior and I think every word of it is the absolute truth. Sheese. :)

John

What exactly do you mean by "BTW all of the above was basically bull spucky"? I own a 1978 Warrior and I think every word of it is the absolute truth. Sheese. :)

John
I own a 1980 Warrior and I know it is true too. I just did not want to hurt the feelings of the higher wingers on this site. But that is jsut between you and me, ok? :D:D

Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and flying so bear with this rookie. I'm a student at U of MN-Crookston for Natural Resources Aviation and I will be going up tomorrow for my first flight with the CFI in a Piper warrior. I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys and lots of advice along the way! _ Justin

Fixed that for you and welcome to PoA. :thumbsup:

WELCOME Justin... I am just about to get my ticket, and this site has been the best!!! You have come to the right place.

BTW: Disregard that 'high-wing sissy' crap

Thanks for the welcome guys!!

So.. what does "Natural Resources Aviation" do for you?

When im done with school i'll have my Commercial as well as a tailwheel so i can fly those sissy high wings;) plus a major in Nat Resource. But the overall hope is to fly for UFWS, DNR, UFS doings surveys or whatever as a pilot biologist. Although the more i watch these dusters up here the more fun that seems. You are right about crookston being in the middle of nowhere though the only thing we have up here is sugar beets and wind.

Originally Posted by EppyGA
Fixed that for you and welcome to PoA. :thumbsup:

Maybe he meant 'bare' :D:D:sosp::sosp:

It takes all kinds!! ;)

Haha yea i figured i catch some crap for that. :lol:

You are right about crookston being in the middle of nowhere though the only thing we have up here is sugar beets and wind.

And in the winter you get SNIRT.. Snow and Blowing Dirt. :yes:

Ahh.. I remember ND and Northern Minn.
The state bird is the mesquito, the state "tree" is the telephone pole.
And there is a pretty girl behind every "tree".. :fingerwag:

I own a 1980 Warrior and I know it is true too. I just did not want to hurt the feelings of the higher wingers on this site. But that is jsut between you and me, ok? :D:D

You don't hurt my feelings a bit...I will take "our" 195 any day over a low-wing. :cornut::thumbsup:

And in the winter you get SNIRT.. Snow and Blowing Dirt. :yes:

Ahh.. I remember ND and Northern Minn.
The state bird is the mesquito, the state "tree" is the telephone pole.
And there is a pretty girl behind every "tree".. :fingerwag:

You know i just made an appointment with a chiropractor because i spent the last 3 months in Bristol bay Alaska, and after being back in school for a week i swear I've got whip lash from all the pretty girls on campus! :ihih:

First flight was awesome i was nervous at first and so was CFI since there was a 13kt cross wind and gusts up to 20kts apparently she was hesitant to take me up for my first flight with that wind. But i told her "I gotta learn some how, eh'! Plus it'll build character". Numero dos is tomorrow the wind is supposed to be calm hope i can say the same about my nerves lol.

You know i just made an appointment with a chiropractor because i spent the last 3 months in Bristol bay Alaska, and after being back in school for a week i swear I've got whip lash from all the pretty girls on campus! :ihih:

First flight was awesome i was nervous at first and so was CFI since there was a 13kt cross wind and gusts up to 20kts apparently she was hesitant to take me up for my first flight with that wind. But i told her "I gotta learn some how, eh'! Plus it'll build character". Numero dos is tomorrow the wind is supposed to be calm hope i can say the same about my nerves lol.

Roger on the campus beauties.. so that's where they hide ooout. :D

One thing about learning to fly in ND/Minn.. if you can't fly in the wind, you'll be grounded for ever.

Back