Newark discovers the concept of Total Cost of Ownership

I'm sure other towns,city's states have equally expensive helicopter expenses. They are extremely expensive to operate comparing flying time to down time. A new one costs millions, plus mechanic staff, parts etc. this is probably reasonable in comparison. This one is old and noisy to boot!

Yep, helicopters aren't cheap to operate. Figured my old bosses 407 cost $1500 hr to operate.

Basically what they've done is advertise to the world that their leadership is a bunch of morons. Apparently they've never purchased or operated a car, let alone a helicopter.

Yep, helicopters aren't cheap to operate. Figured my old bosses 407 cost $1500 hr to operate.

Our city has like a half dozen. Idiots they are.

My company had (has?) two helicopters and two jets because you just can't have the chairman not being able to fly on one during maintenance. They actually have Brer Rabbit order from the board that he HAS to fly on the corporate aircraft.

Last edited:
Why would he _have_ to fly on the corporate aircraft? I'm sure it's not as safe as part 121.

I don't know what industry you're in, but yeah, I'm sure there's a line of folks just waiting to take him out... ;)

Either you work for the cartels or your employees _really_ hate the guy! Just kidding.

200k per year to operate and maintain a turbine helicopter doesn't sound excessive on its face. 960k alone were pilot salaries. A Jet-Ranger goes for what, 3mil new ? Operating a new helicopter would have probably cost them a lot more.

I just wonder whether it achieved any of the objectives the city had laid out when they entered into this project:

Did the number of car-jackings go down ?
Did they manage to retrieve stolen cars with the helicopter that a deployment of LoJack receivers in patrol cars wouldn't have gotten them ?
Did the helo allow them to forge better relationships with surrounding agencies by being able to provide valued mutual assistance ?
Did Newark Police manage to apprehend any criminals that would have gotten away if it wasn't for the ability to pursue them with the helo ?

Oh, you are telling me that there were no actual objectives/deliverables laid out when the project was started ? You are right, it is NJ government.

Half of that expense was for pilots.

They are doing quite well with that acquisition

I have a good friend of mine who is a LEO helo pilot....he doesn't make substantially more than his non pilot co workers. Where he makes his money.....TONS OF OVERTIME RIDING ALONG with other LEOs.

Sure this applies to most LEO pilots.

Back