New Zenith

yakdriver

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
yellow peril
Flew Zenith CH750 N641K this morning for its maiden flight. Has a UL power UL350si engine that performed great, very smooth. Few small trim bugs but otherwise uneventful. This is the 13 homebuilt airplane i have done the first flight on. Don

Flew Zenith CH750 N641K this morning for its maiden flight. Has a UL power UL350si engine that performed great, very smooth. Few small trim bugs but otherwise uneventful. This is the 13 homebuilt airplane i have done the first flight on. Don

Congrats...

First flights are ALWAYS interesting....:rolleyes:;)

Are you a test pilot or the builder? Any video?

The owner built the wings, horizontal and vertical. I did the rest of it. I get asked a lot to do the first few hours on homebuilts and usually accept. Only been in one so far that was a little dicey. I check them over very carefully before I fly them. Don

I spoke to an older gentleman a few years ago who had built a 701. He told me it scared the bejesus out of him so he sold it right away. Is there some "adjustment" you have to make going from, say, a 152 to the Zenith STOL models?

I spoke to an older gentleman a few years ago who had built a 701. He told me it scared the bejesus out of him so he sold it right away. Is there some "adjustment" you have to make going from, say, a 152 to the Zenith STOL models?

The Zenith STOL models fly differently then other planes.. Not really dangerous, just different..... I have over 500 hours in my 801...

You have to get used to landing them. Even though it stalls in the 35mph range you have to keep the speed up a bit on final because it is very light and has a lot of drag so the airspeed drops rapidly in the level off and flare. Not dangerous but different from a regular airplane. Not much more different than other light sports and ultralights. This one has pleasant light controls and should be fun as I get some more time in it. Don

The Zenith STOL models fly differently then other planes.. Not really dangerous, just different..... I have over 500 hours in my 801...

What kind of ground speed can you get in your 801? I'm curious as to what you give up because all of the STOL attributes.

Always liked the 701 and 801, kinda like a dog that's just so ugly you bring it home.

...that and the performance is unbeatable for the price.

The 750 is a much improved 701. Bigger cockpit and more gross and useful load. Don

The 750 is a much improved 701. Bigger cockpit and more gross and useful load. Don

I concur... Just got mine in the air for the first time last week! LOVE IT!!! :goofy:

Check the thickness of the plexiglass on your doors. Mine was 1/16 thick and I had one implode while on climbout. Shattered the window and broke the door framework where the gas strut attaches. The new doors have 3/32 thick plex.

Attachments

• zenith1.jpg
    zenith1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 48
  • zenith4.jpg
    zenith4.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 40
Check the thickness of the plexiglass on your doors. Mine was 1/16 thick and I had one implode while on climbout. Shattered the window and broke the door framework where the gas strut attaches. The new doors have 3/32 thick plex.

Mine is an edition 2, windows should be thicker. I also beefed up the frame so it flexes less on the door AND added a third latch halfway up the front.

Lots of the problems were also caused by the bubble door acting like an airfoil and pulling on the door. If the bottom latches weren't overlapping the frame enough it would pop open and pretty much exploded the door. I have a O-235 on mine. so far still loving it. Very very smooth flying airplane. Bit of a ***** to land though until I got use to it... One thing for sure, the view in the 750 CAN'T be beat!!! :yes:

Last edited:
Very cool! Nice shot!

My second post here, so please forgive me if I am asking something answered in another thread, how is the shoulder room? Any problems with side load damage in a cross wind?

Last edited:
Cockpit is plenty wide, 44" if I remember right. Gear is hell for stout but with proper x wind technique there won't be any side loads. Don

Thanks for the input.
I love that plane but have never flown one except do about thirty minutes at an air show about 2005, or so, I think. It was quick off the ground, a little bouncy until it got into ground fret on the way in, and light a s a feather on the stick, are the things I remember.

Mind giving a bit more detail about how you had to adjust your landing style? I'm interested in learning a bit more about this plane. My buddy is thinking of building one.

Also, I'd love to hear a little bit more about the engine. Pros/Cons you've experienced so far.

It is a lightweight airframe with a lot of drag so it lands more like an ultralight. It stalls at about 40 indicated but the 1.3 VSO doesn't work on a power off approach. 65 seems to work well power off with flaps. It gives a nice steep approach angle and I still have just enough speed for the round out and flare. I haven't played with it much yet but it is very stable at 45-50 carrying some power. As the nose comes up airspeed bleeds off VERY rapidly. All in all it lands very nicely and it is easy to get a nice nose high touchdown on the mains. Handles a 15 kt crosswind without a lot of work but it is a bit bouncy in any kind of turbulence. The UL 350 runs great and is very smooth with the Whirlwind composite prop. I've been fighting a couple of oil leaks and the thermo valve was sticking causing high oil temps but with a little de burring work it works now. Haven't flown it much in the last couple of weeks with thunderstorms and lots of smoke but I should be back at it next week. Don

Back